Outdoors
Sponsored by

Poison ivy???

7,726 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh wise and knowledgeable outdoor board...

Took down a section of fence and noticed this ivy entangled in my honey suckle and poking through fence. I'm pretty sure it's poison ivy, but want to be sure before I nuke it and honey suckle and pull it all up.

Thanks
Oruc Reis
AG
oh ya. I don't think pulling it up will help unless you get all the roots. Every single one. It'll just come back next year
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
That's what I was afraid of...

cr0wbar
AG
ugh- I'm scratching myself just looking at your photos.

Leaves of 3 - Red Stem - Saw toothed ridge. I'm no botanist- but I think you're looking at either Poison Sumac or Poison Oak. I thought the leaves of poison ivy have a reddish tent to them...

http://www.poison-ivy.org/identify-poison-ivy-poison-oak
Oruc Reis
AG
dtkprowler
AG
HAZMAT SUIT KILL IT WITH FIRE!
Hoss
AG
I don't know what it is, but I just cut down and pulled a whole truckload of that stuff and several different other ivy type plants out of my back yard. Also cactus, wild blackberries, cedar trees, various other small trees and who knows what else.
TexasAggie_02
AG
yes it is. you can spray 2,4-d on it, just be careful not to get any on any trees, or under the dripline of trees
El Chupacabra
Put some in your underwear for a few hours. You'll know soon enough.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Oruc Reis said:

oh ya. I don't think pulling it up will help unless you get all the roots. Every single one. It'll just come back next year

I plan on spraying with herbicide first and letting it die before digging up. Hopefully that kills most of the roots too..if not it will be an annual battle.
Apache
AG
I'm gonna say there is a good chance that isn't poison ivy but a close imposter called cow itch vine. Cissus trifoliata. The habit is a little different than poison ivy and the leaf arrangement looks off.
Apache
AG
Here is some of the Cow Itch Vine I was talking about... pops up in my back yard all the time. The stems actually turn red as well.. looks very close to poison ivy really no petiole (The stem of the leaf basically) The margin of the leaf can also vary a bit more on Cow Itch than the one I'm holding.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Interesting... can it cause mild skin reactions as well?

Our son every so often has gotten a welp on his lower leg that we assumed was poison ivy but couldn't trace the source until I did this fence project..and found this ivy. We assumed he was digging around or playing near the honey suckle and would brush up against it.
Oruc Reis
AG
I see a little sheen on some of the leaves, it's definitely poison ivy
ursusguy
AG
Check and see if the leaf is fleshy, and sorta thick. Looks like fragrant sumac to me.

Nevermind, just noticed the vine in #3
CTGilley
AG
I have poison oak growing under my St. Augustine. We have been at war for a year now. I went scorched earth last year after it got me a second time and killed the whole area it was growing in. It is back this year and I am currently covered in a red rash.
Sean98
AG
Oruc Reis said:

I see a little sheen on some of the leaves, it's definitely poison ivy
Without seeing it in person I'm not certain but it just doesn't look right for poison ivy for me. I think Apache may be on the right track. A lot of plants have a sheen on their foliage, not just poison ivy.
highvelocity
AG
thank you genes for making me not allergic.. there were multiple occasions in boy scouts growing up where some of my buddies squatted over a plant in the dark with disastrous outcomes.
BBDP
AG
It doesn't look like it to me.
http://www.savorlife.com/special_pages/g_poisonivy.htm
VanZandt92
Roundup will kill plant and roots. Let it die then use gloves to dispose of it. Remember the vine also has the irritant, not just the leaves.

****loads of it in NC where I live.
VanZandt92
I believe it to be poison ivy.
Oruc Reis
AG
I see what he's saying about all the leaves coming to a single point and not having short stems off the leaves that meet. Need a close up of the leaves to know for sure.
Hoss
AG
Is this poison ivy? I have a cedar tree that's infested with this stuff. In fact, I just removed a whole bunch of this from other trees in my yard.

Apache
AG
Sure looks like it Hoss.
Sean98
AG
Yes
Hoss
AG
Huh. All these years I thought poison ivy was something else. The good news is it doesn't seem to bother me.
Sean98
AG
This is Virginia Creeper and a lot of people think it's poison ivy.

C Loves L
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
HERE are some close up pics...

Apache
AG
100% that's Cow Itch.
Mash some up in your hand (glove if you don't trust me) and it'll stink like hell. Then you'll know I'm right.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
can it cause mild skin reactions similar to poison ivy? If this isn't the poison ivy, I'm again on the hunt for where my kiddo is getting into it.

ETA: smashed some up. Smells like green plant and leather gloves. Not sure what scent I'm looking for?
Sean98
AG
Definitely NOT ivy.
Apache
AG
I looked it up in one of my books, says it can causes contact dermatitis is some individuals. Also describes the small as "fetid". The older leaves should have a little more funk, it's a smell I can't easily describe. It is peculiar to this and a few other plants.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Thx for input. I will still probably kill off and dig up. Just to be sure...
Oruc Reis
AG
Welp, learn something new every day
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.