Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Ate Some Ant Poison

53,104 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mattressburn
Daddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not throwing up or anything but does seem to be shaking.

called the back of the ant poison bag.

called the ER VET.

they said to call the poison control

She's breathing, eating, pooping, wagging tail, but does seem to be having the neurological issues where she's shaking a bit in his front and back legs. once she's been laying for awhile it seems to be harder for her to get up.

She's a 3 year old lab, 55 pounds.

Any advice other than take her to the Emergency Room?

The ant poison was on mounds. I did put quite a bit in one place due to the millions of fire ants in the flower bed.

Caught her snooping around yesterday. told the wife when she lets Her out to bathroom to make sure she doesn't go.

No clue today how much she had but it would be the amount on the ground.

My common sense says tomorrow she'll be fine once it passes through. When i called the back of the ant bed number she basically was giving me liability hazard 101 The Vet's didn't give out anything other than call poison control and then take her in with a reference number. Obviously if she gets worse we are going to take her to the ER. She's sleeping fine now (she goes to bet pretty early and is up at 6 am sharp ready to eat).

BTMTAT
AG
You didn't list the type of ant poison so I'm going to assume its amdro fire ant bait.

The active ingredient has a very wide safety margin in dogs and I would expect a little upset stomach but very unlikely to be life threatening or require intervention.

Let me know if she ate something different.
ecoag80
AG
A capful or two of Hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Had a pup that ate rat poison once and the doc told me this...dog threw up and was fine...seem like once we got the dog to the vet they gave some form of Vitamin D to counter the poison...been a few years but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express...the pup lived another 12 years until this past fall...now resides under a live oak out back....
Daddy
AG
Daddy said:

Not throwing up or anything but does seem to be shaking.

called the back of the ant poison bag.

called the ER VET.

they said to call the poison control

She's breathing, eating, pooping, wagging tail, but does seem to be having the neurological issues where she's shaking a bit in his front and back legs. once she's been laying for awhile it seems to be harder for her to get up.

She's a 3 year old lab, 55 pounds.

Any advice other than take her to the Emergency Room?

The ant poison was on mounds. I did put quite a bit in one place due to the millions of fire ants in the flower bed.

Caught her snooping around yesterday. told the wife when she lets Her out to bathroom to make sure she doesn't go.

No clue today how much she had but it would be the amount on the ground.

My common sense says tomorrow she'll be fine once it passes through. When i called the back of the ant bed number she basically was giving me liability hazard 101 The Vet's didn't give out anything other than call poison control and then take her in with a reference number. Obviously if she gets worse we are going to take her to the ER. She's sleeping fine now (she goes to bet pretty early and is up at 6 am sharp ready to eat).

sorry, yes

andro fire

Fire ant plus
Eliminator

called them and the active ingredient is pyrethin

whatever she would have ate it would have been off the ground.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Vomiting isn't helpful if time has passed already like in the OP
Daddy
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Vomiting isn't helpful if time has passed already like in the OP
time has definitely passed.

I think she'll be good as long as the neurological doesn't last.

I just wish I know if there is something we could give her. She's a energetic loving dog. Not the brightest lol
aggiedent
AG
I can tell you from personal experience, fire ant poison can kill a dog. Take her to the ER now.

I noticed ours having neurological issues and by the time we got to the ER, he could hardly walk. Heart was in arrhythmia. They told me prognosis was not too good, but he managed to survive. Now I'm extra careful about applying poison in the yard.
AggieRob93
AG
Dawn mixed with water, slowly poured on fireant mounds will kill 'em dead. Started doing this year's ago after a lab pup was nosing around a mound I had treated with Amdro. Never treated a mound with anything else since. Just don't want to chance it with dogs in the yard.

OP, hope the pup is on the way to the E-Vet. Obviously it's your call, but early neuro issues after ingestion of poison would see me breaking every vehicular law in the books. Hope your pup turns out ok either way.
Muzzleblast
Every dog owner should keep activated charcoal pills in the house.

When they eat things they shouldn't give them 3 pills and get them to the vet.

Hope your dog is fine...
Ragoo
AG
Dog did the same last year. Called Amdro and they basically said my 60lb dog would have had to eat the entire bottle to be affected. The granules are primarily corn which is why the dog likes it.
TexasAggies06
AG
Update?
ironmanag
AG
My Boxer ate a whole pile on an ant hill at a year old. Called the vet and amdro . They said as long as she is eating drinking and acting fine then she should be okay. As stated above the granduals are mostly corn.
JSKolache
AG
Ragoo said:

Dog did the same last year. Called Amdro and they basically said my 60lb dog would have had to eat the entire bottle to be affected. The granules are primarily corn which is why the dog likes it.
Same here 2 yrs ago. Lab was and is fine.
Mattressburn
AG
He posted on another board. Took the dog to the vet, vet said dog was fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.