Outdoors
Sponsored by

Banana River Skiff rebuild (part 1)

8,463 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Centerpole90
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Post this on the Drake. They seem to like you over there.
reddog90
AG
Yeah how are you going to juggle family, boat building, fishing, hunting, and all your forums?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

Yeah how are you going to juggle family, boat building, fishing, hunting, and all your forums?

My family & career will just have to suffer.
RickSawyer
AG
This '79 refurb on microskiff makes me very jealous of you...

GeeBee
AG
Not to derail or maybe you have another thread on it...how do you like the Panga? Does the narrow beam ever bother you?
I was surprised to read it drafts 10"..I always thought they would draft shallower than that at rest
MouthBQ98
AG
Panga hulls are meant to operate in tougher water conditions and open water efficiently. They are for crossing open water or even going offshore with a fuel efficient cruising speed, without having an overly deep V keel.
Salt of the water
AG
See the fly thread (pg 28).

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2666913/28

I put a report up on my panga a few pages further in.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
GeeBee said:

Not to derail or maybe you have another thread on it...how do you like the Panga? Does the narrow beam ever bother you?
I was surprised to read it drafts 10"..I always thought they would draft shallower than that at rest

I love it. All boats require compromise but the panga required the least compromise in what I want to do. I can easily take my family plus a couple more people for a cruise on the lake and pull a tube or camp out on a sandbar for the day. I can run it offshore a ways on a good day. I can fish open water on rough days. I can get pretty skinny. I can stake out on the beach for tarpon and work the jetties comfortably too.

But, for the best fishing of the year in my neck of the woods (late-October usually until early December) and to get away from the crowds as much as possible to chase backwater redfish (go peruse the "Saltwater Fly Fishing" topic and look for @RickSawyer & @BKClark reports from about September until late-November) I need a sub-7" technical poling skiff. Obviously the Minister of War & Finance wasn't really on board with me dropping $10K minimum on a used skiff so I had to get creative and I'd been looking for a project.

As for the beam, it's a 72" beam and I'm used to the beam on poling skiffs. I had a Gheenoe NMZ prior to the panga and it had a 44" beam so 72" seems plenty wide to me and most poling skiffs are in that range. I don't even really notice it.

10" is still pretty skinny. And I can get into a lot of places with that. The biggest drawback to the panga and the 10" draft is that somebody like Rick's BT Micro can draft 4-5" fully loaded and come up to a hump in the bottom that's shallower than that, his skiff is light enough that he can just slide over the top of it. My panga weighs too much for that so if I'm in 10" water and need to get over a 6-8" hump I have to back up and find a way around it.

Plus, my hull alone weighs around 1200#. That is a lot to push around on a push pole for an extended period of time. Especially over a soft bottom. My goal is to have the boat, motor, and rigging come in under 800-850# on the project. Right now the hull weighs probably 150#, I'm calculating probably another 225# in hull materials (core material, epoxy, hardware/fittings), another 225-250# for the motor, 75# for the battery and electrical rigging, and 75# for the poling platform and grab-bar/cooler rack mount. That's 750-775# right there.
GeeBee
AG
Salt of the water said:

See the fly thread (pg 28).

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2666913/28

I put a report up on my panga a few pages further in.
Was that boat for sale in Waco area? I think I saw that on the list a few months back.
GeeBee
AG
Thanks for the info on your experience...I've been leaning towards either a panga or some kind of skiff. I guess as I get older I realized I don't need or want 200hp and want something simple/ low maintenance. I can't make up my mind b/c one is small and goes everywhere and easy to push around, One is big and goes a lot of places.
I really like willy roberts, but have no experience with them, they look like they might be able to do both, but have a hefty $ tag

ok sorry for derail...back to your thread.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
GeeBee said:

Thanks for the info on your experience...I've been leaning towards either a panga or some kind of skiff. I guess as I get older I realized I don't need or want 200hp and want something simple/ low maintenance. I can't make up my mind b/c one is small and goes everywhere and easy to push around, One is big and goes a lot of places.
I really like willy roberts, but have no experience with them, they look like they might be able to do both, but have a hefty $ tag

No worries.

Quote:

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

RickSawyer
AG
GeeBee said:

Finn's advice, get both! Love it.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Salt of the water
AG

Rerrruh
Terk
AG
Is it done yet?
reddog90
AG
Any updates Fin?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

Any updates Fin?

Grinding & sanding almost done. Freaking work and Spawn of Finn #1's baseball schedule is killing me- I've effectively become the head coach when all I did was volunteer to help the HC.

No pics because that's boring. About to start designing the stringers and layout but I need to reinforce the hull and bottom a bit plus do the interior patching of some holes.

The plan is to lay a layer of 4oz glass to get a clean surface on the interior of the hull. Then use 1/4" core-cell on the bottom with 1" core-cell stringers and thwarts.
reddog90
AG
Damn sex trophies.
Centerpole90
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Spawn of Finn #1's baseball schedule is killing me- I've effectively become the head coach when all I did was volunteer to help the HC.
Just so you are not disappointed....

This isn't going to improve until he's off to Aggieland.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.