Outdoors
Sponsored by

*** Pre-Emergent & Herbicide FAQs ***

43,998 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Funky Winkerbean
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BurrOak said:

Gallery as a pre-emergent for broadleaf plants.

Do it right now.

$140/lb.....yikes! What is the application rate and do you mix it with anything?
Van Buren Boy
AG
I get it in granule form. About 30 bucks for a 10lb bag
JR2007
AG
https://www.domyown.com/pre-emergent-herbicides-c-59_188_387.html?keyword=domyownpestcontrol&gclid=CjwKCAjwrNjcBRA3EiwAIIOvq8d9BQrj7XcukRTYNhdxj_gPCe41VDR1d7NSKXzBlptcg98Y40canhoCDyoQAvD_BwE

Dimension and Gallery. 10% off with code. Always free shipping. I buy all my lawn care stuff through them and they've never disappointed.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Was finally able to get out and cut the grass. Should I go ahead and put pre emergent down? Or let it dry out a little?

NW FTW
Funky Winkerbean
AG
You can put it out now, but it will need to be watered in immediately.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Twelfthman99
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

I had a great yard with only a few weeds until I decided to put out some weed and feed... Now I have ZERO St augustine in my back yard and a very sickly front yard.

I'm thinking that the only thing I can do at this point is to kill the entire yard with fire and start over.
Is your SA Floratam? I made the mistake of using an herbicide that was supposed to be safe for SA lawns, but didn't read the fine print and see that it would kill floratam hybrids. Fortunately, I only used it on a test section, otherwise, I would have lost my yard.
FincAg
AG
Time Is Now to Prevent Winter Weeds!
Cromagnum
AG
FincAg said:

I call BS on that. It's not going to be anywhere near cool enough in the near future in Texas to benefit from that now.
dummble
AG
I have late october circled as I live in Houston
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Cromagnum said:

FincAg said:

I call BS on that. It's not going to be anywhere near cool enough in the near future in Texas to benefit from that now.

Yeah I questioned that as well.
Charlie Murphy
Fighting virginia buttonweed right now. everyhting ive read says not to use any weed killer in this Houston heat. Dumb question though, can i fertilize when its this hot? does that matter.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Applying nitrogen right now can do more harm than good .
FincAg
AG
I thought it was established Houston was about 3 weeks behind in the fall and ahead in the spring on anything Neil Sperry says.
cevans_40
AG
Low N and high K for fall apps. Houston & BCS, I can help.

http://www.makemygrassgreen.com
FincAg
AG
About that time again folks.
Put some whiskey in your water, sugar in your tea.
Cromagnum
AG
FincAg said:

For pre-emergent or fertilizer?
FincAg
AG
Both here in Dallas and northward. Neil isn't gospel but I've turned a weed patch into a bare foot haven following his advice.

https://neilsperry.com/egardens/20220825/20220825.html
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Cromagnum said:

FincAg said:

For pre-emergent or fertilizer?
Both
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Cromagnum
AG
All I know for sure is fall fertilizer loves to support fungus problems so be sure to pay attention to what your lawn does.
p-wonk01
AG
well dang...looks like I missed my time up here in DFW for pre-emergent. I'm assuming it won't do anything now..?
atmtws
AG
Cromagnum said:

All I know for sure is fall fertilizer loves to support fungus problems so be sure to pay attention to what your lawn does.

Dealing with this now. Three weeks ago I applied NitroPhos SuperTurf (19-4-10), Barricade and Bug Out. Two weeks ago I put down NitroPhos Eagle fungicide. It calls for a second application 14 days later. However, I'm seeing a lot of yellowing/gray leaf spot throughout the yard now. Should I stick with the second application of Eagle, or should I do Scott's Disease Ex? I've read elsewhere online that Disease Ex seems to be the best for fall fungicides. I'll hang up and listen.
Thisguy1
Depends what you're targeting. You can still put some pre out.
Thisguy1
Disease X is azoxystrobin which is a good preventative but it's kind of slow on treating active issues. The grass is also already slowing down like crazy here in BCS and the yard will have to grow out of it. Most of the time you don't notice the grey leaf spot unless you get up on it. The yellowing could be fungal but it could also just be chlorosis. A lot of people are quick to say any yellow/lime green grass is fungal but that's not always the case.
El_duderino
Putting it down now is better than nothing at all
aggieband 83
AG
I put out Barricade last week. I live by the coast in Wharton County. If we don't get rain by early next week, it will be time to turn on the water sprinklers.
Aggie Band not the easiest but the Best.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
atmtws said:

Cromagnum said:

Dealing with this now. Three weeks ago I applied NitroPhos SuperTurf (19-4-10), Barricade and Bug Out. Two weeks ago I put down NitroPhos Eagle fungicide. It calls for a second application 14 days later. However, I'm seeing a lot of yellowing/gray leaf spot throughout the yard now. Should I stick with the second application of Eagle, or should I do Scott's Disease Ex? I've read elsewhere online that Disease Ex seems to be the best for fall fungicides. I'll hang up and listen.
Apply Daconil and Iron.
Thomas Sowell

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.