Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can anyone tell me what kind of raptor this is?

5,124 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Blue Bell Ag
chiken
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

BurrOak
AG
Looks like a red shouldered hawk.
p_bubel
Agreed.

Strongwind86
AG
I saw the title thinking I was on the Auto board...
Was surprised not to see a Ford truck in the pic.....
chiken
AG
My husband and I joke about seeing birds that may be eagles or Hawks. I'll ask "ooh, what do you think it is?" And he'll always say "it's a raptor, a bird of prey if you will..."

Cracks me up every time. Even typing it makes me smile.
agswin2001
AG
I immediately thought of dinosaurs...
Mule_lx
AG
I thought birds with a healthy apprehension, then ford.
MouthBQ98
AG
The bird ID pamphlet I have makes it look a bit more like a Coopers Hawk to me, but it may be the particular coloration of this bird.
Caladan
In the 2nd and 3rd pics, it seems to me that there are white bands across the tail. If this is indeed the case, then it would confirm a red-shouldered.
mts6175
AG
Well, it's not a Ford....
turk
AG
quote:
The bird ID pamphlet I have makes it look a bit more like a Coopers Hawk to me, but it may be the particular coloration of this bird.

My vote as well
MouthBQ98
AG
Cooper's have faint banding. The leg feather colors don't look right for a redshoulder. I think migration patterns might be the difference. Coopers are not so common in the summer apparently.
Tursiops93
AG
Cooper's
txags92
AG
Coopers frequently hunt small birds around suburban bird feeders. We have a cross vine on a trellis that becomes home to large flocks of sparrows in the fall. We often see a confused Cooper's hawk on the roof peering into the trellis trying to figure out how to get to the sparrows. My vote would be coopers just based on the location of the photos and the longer tail with banding.
I Like Mike
AG
Auodad

/obligatory
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
Auodad

/obligatory
You meant rat snake, right??
guyace
Velociraptor
MEENag
AG
I can't ID many birds but I opened the thread anyway. A couple of years ago Texags ID'd a bird in a photo I took as a Cooper's hawk, so I feel like I know what they look like now. My first thought when I saw the OPs pics were that I don't know what it is but I know it's not a Cooper's hawk. Oh well. OPs has a lot more color than the Cooper's I've seen.
BuddysBud
AG
It looks like a Cooper's Hawk from the pattern on the back and the banding on the tail. According to my guide, they live in central Texas year-round.
BMo
Looks more like a Coopers Hawk than a Red shouldered.

Tursiops93
AG
quote:
I can't ID many birds but I opened the thread anyway. A couple of years ago Texags ID'd a bird in a photo I took as a Cooper's hawk, so I feel like I know what they look like now. My first thought when I saw the OPs pics were that I don't know what it is but I know it's not a Cooper's hawk. Oh well. OPs has a lot more color than the Cooper's I've seen.
Coloration varies so that isn't the best way to tell. The tail length and banding, as well as the lighter feathering on the birds underside is what makes me think Coopers.
Oruc Reis
AG
The body shape and legs look more like Coopers to me

Edit: I'm 95% on coopers after consulting my Sibley app. Tail is long relative to body, wider banding on tail. Head and chest differing color from wings.
JSKolache
AG
you got mice bruh
chiken
AG
the house next to my job has mice, not I.
Blue Bell Ag
AG
To be different, I'm going with a Goshawk.
txags92
AG
More likely to be after small birds hiding down in those bushes next to the house. I have seen a coopers sitting on a fire hydrant in a strip center parking lot watching a flock of sparrows in a hedge row like that.
Hatchet Harry
AG
'chiken' hawk?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Those are my pets. I bred them. [/mfbarnes]
Blue Bell Ag
AG
quote:
Those are my pets. I bred them. [/mfbarnes]

Nice!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.