Outdoors
Sponsored by

First Annual Rabbit Round-up

22,110 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dirty-8-thirty Ag
Chazz03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congratulations Dirty. My team came in with about 280 bunnies. I figured it would take about 800 rabbits to win. Never guessed it would get over 1000.

We ended up loosing about 3 sections of what would have been our better ground with lake beds and young milo fields close by.
We had a great time though. Our team used mostly shotgun and went through about a case and a half of shells. And our entry fee was covered by the ranch we hunted
OldArmy72
AG
With those kind of rabbit numbers, it's obvious that the round-up is beneficial to the agricultural economy.
The only thing that pisses me off is the posters who try to call this "hunting". It's NOT hunting - It's extermination of vermin.
Been there and done that and it's another fun shooting sport - but please don't anyone call it "hunting".
Hunter_812
AG
I want info for the next one they have!
CanyonAg77
AG
Pretty common to go rabbit hunting when I was in Jr. High and High School. Bunch of high school kids at night with rifles and spotlights. That would give the vapors to 99% of today's population.

We had one neighbor who always wanted us to come to his place and hunt. He hated them. We'd be in the back of the pickup, blasting away with rifles and shotguns while he went racing across the pasture, and even his plowed fields. He'd tear up more crop than the rabbit, but he didn't care.

I recall blasting a jack at full gallop while our neighbor was racing him down. Got him with a shotgun, about 20 yards in front of the pickup, shooting over the cab and hood from the bed.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I believe this will be an annual round-up. Teams must be taking rabbits on land in Midland, Reagan, Sterling, Howard, Martin, Upton or Glasscock counties only during the contest.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Thanks Chazz, it was fun as hell. Are you from Glasscock County?
Chazz03
AG
quote:
Thanks Chazz, it was fun as hell. Are you from Glasscock County?

We hunted in the north end of Reagan Co.
Did you hear where the winning team had hunted?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
The guys were from Rankin, so I'm sure it was around Upton County somewhere. Not positive though.
txags92
AG
Sounds like you need a few more coyotes...
phorizt
somebody should dump 100,000 pounds of live rattlesnakes out in that area to help keep the population down
Rhwill1973
I live in Glasscock County and farm in Glasscock and North Reagan Counties. In general, the greatest populations of jack rabbits are in Reagan and Upton Counties. I was approached by two different groups about hunting our Reagan County property. I had to go visit the in-laws so I do not know if it was hunted. Rabbits are a huge problem for us once we plant cotton. When the cotton is tiny they will simply walk down a row and nibble off the two leaves it comes up having. They simply get the moisture from the plant and move to the next plant without actually eating the leaves, but it kills the plant. A single rabbit may take out 20 or 30 feet per night. I shoot them all year round.

Dirty-8-thirty. Get in touch if you guys come back out and I'll show you around and let you hunt rabbits.
Rhwill1973
Oh. And ALL of the locals are thrilled about the success of the hunt. Access would be easy to obtain. Thanks to all who participated.
Comeby!
AG
I should've called Andy Sugg to see if I could help him reduce his rabbit population. Did y'all eat any of them or just let them rot?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
I'm honestly just curious, and I'd like to set one of these up for feral cats.

We need an urban bow fishing competition in Houston to clear out the plecos, tilapia, snakeheads, and invasive grass carp from the bayous.
Rhwill1973
Jackrabbits are not for eating.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I appreciate that Rhwill! If you are a farmer from Glasscock County, there is a 90% chance I know you or someone in your family. My mom is a Weishuhn from Wall. Cecil Halfmann is my great Uncle. His wife and my grandma are sisters.
CanyonAg77
AG
You guys need to Google around a little on the rabbit drives of the dust bowl era. Kind of scary.

Rhwill1973
Dirty 8 thirty.

I think we visited back and forth on the pecos river rafting trip. Not sure. Anyhow I know the Halfmanns very well and have uncles living in Wall
eric76
AG
quote:
You guys need to Google around a little on the rabbit drives of the dust bowl era. Kind of scary.

They had rabbit drives into the 50s around here.
Rhwill1973
Thanks for posting that video Canyon Ag. I've heard stories from my grandparents about rabbit drives. They are indeed vermin. My grandmother speaks about the drives fondly. She enjoyed the camraderie or social aspect or getting together with all of the neighbors.
Neches21
I'm not too familiar with that part of Texas.
Why are there so many rabbits?
Is that the normal population?
Did they explode with row crop agriculture and / or removal of predators?
Seems odd to see that many.
Chazz03
AG
Always been that many. There are a couple of things rabbits are good at and one of those things is making babies
EFE
AG
Also good at chewing through drip lines when you aren't actively watering. I get to fly a black flag when it comes to jackrabbits at work.
ursusguy
AG
I ate quite a few jackrabbits in grad school. Lots of rabbit and cabbage stew.
JD05AG
AG
Last years rain caused a rise in the rabbit, rat, and quail population. Should've had a jackpot for rats too.
Sean98
AG
Rabbits are a boom bust population animal but you are correct in that removal of predators and increased food sources play a big role.
CanyonAg77
AG
Good thing people kill coyotes, huh?
C4D
AG
quote:
I'm curious if TPWD is involved/aware and if you need permits to do this?

LOL. Be sure to inform the warden of your plans to take out some jacks in West Texas. Never heard of this contest. Im in.

I have always thought this would come around. Especially with the amount of predators being taken in the bobcat contests these days.
phorizt
do y'all know of anyone who offers jack rabbit hunts from helicopters with high powered automatic weapons?
schmellba99
AG
quote:
I ate quite a few jackrabbits in grad school. Lots of rabbit and cabbage stew.
This was just assumed. I think it's safe to say that the only time you need to brag about eating something is when we are talking about something really exotic - like humpback whale spleen or the differences between white meat and dark meat in Bigfoot or what cobra testicles pair best with, or if they need to be fried or sauteed.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Seems senseless to kill all the predators then kill so much of what remains. I'm on 3 acres outside of Bandera and we have a lot of rabbits but I don't see the harm.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Seems senseless to kill all the predators then kill so much of what remains. I'm on 3 acres outside of Bandera and we have a lot of rabbits but I don't see the harm.
Because you have three acres because it's pretty and a nice place to live. Of course you have a different outlook from someone owning or leasing thousands of acres and trying to make a profit from them.

Although I do agree that it is self-defeating to kill predators.
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
quote:
quote:
Because you have three acres because it's pretty and a nice place to live. Of course you have a different outlook from someone owning or leasing thousands of acres and trying to make a profit from them.

Although I do agree that it is self-defeating to kill predators.

If you think Bandera is pretty you have obviously never visited. It's rocks and weeds and ash juniper, mesquite and lots of wildlife!

I love being in this rocky rugged mess though, beats the manicured city neighborhood.
Chazz03
AG
quote:
Just doing some quick and conservative math, the number of rabbits reported would eat about 100 ac. in a week. That equates to a very conservative income loss of $35,000 for the area in a week
Chazz03
AG
If you're a yote which would you rather eat a day old sheep/calf or a jack rabbit. I know you know why the predators are killed
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.