Outdoors
Sponsored by

First Annual Rabbit Round-up

22,094 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dirty-8-thirty Ag
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
If you're a yote which would you rather eat a day old sheep/calf or a jack rabbit. I know you know why the predators are killed
Fear and ignorance?
txags92
AG
quote:
I know you know why the predators are killed

Mostly because that is what people have always done. Now that we have science showing it is counterproductive, educated people favor letting the predators balance the pests...people who prefer to stick to the old ways keep having the same old problems...
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Ladies, ladies, didn't want this thread to become a positive/negative points on predator hunting/snake killing discussion. I see and hear both sides of yalls argument and my feelings on this topic fall somewhere in the middle of your two stances. Agree to disagree and move on.
Chazz03
AG
Just for the record I have never shot a coyote
texags82
AG
Have some friends who are interested in doing this next year. They are equipped with suppressors, thermal and night vision. Who should they contact to gain access to some property to hunt?
JD05AG
AG
quote:
do y'all know of anyone who offers jack rabbit hunts from helicopters with high powered automatic weapons?

I'd prefer to hunt over high fence rabbits of possible.
Knucklesammich
Sounds like an absolute blast
Chazz03
AG
quote:
quote:
do y'all know of anyone who offers jack rabbit hunts from helicopters with high powered automatic weapons?

I'd prefer to hunt over high fence rabbits of possible.

Chicken wire is what is actually used for rabbits
CanyonAg77
AG
How high is a rabbit high fence?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
quote:
Have some friends who are interested in doing this next year. They are equipped with suppressors, thermal and night vision. Who should they contact to gain access to some property to hunt?

You know anybody that owns land in these counties? Ask them. Otherwise, I don't really see much of a way to hunt it unless you or your friends are just a hell of a talker. I know I would have reservations about complete strangers showing up from across the state to randomly ask me to hunt my land for a rabbit contest.

It said in the rules that teams were responsible for procuring their own land to hunt. If land wasn't owned by a team member, all members must have permission to be on said land.
texags82
AG
quote:
quote:

You know anybody that owns land in these counties? Ask them. Otherwise, I don't really see much of a way to hunt it unless you or your friends are just a hell of a talker. I know I would have reservations about complete strangers showing up from across the state to randomly ask me to hunt my land for a rabbit contest.

It said in the rules that teams were responsible for procuring their own land to hunt. If land wasn't owned by a team member, all members must have permission to be on said land.
We live in Houston area so we don't have contacts out your way. I was hoping there might be some Aggie farmers that would be interested in talking to us about varmint control on their place.
Thanks
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
There are a mix of Ags and raiders out that way, not saying it's impossible to get permission by any means, but it won't be easy. Hope you can find someone to give you the okay, because it was so damn fun.

I picture most resident OB members as clean, courteous, professional people, so if you approach someone in the correct manner, and have a good pitch, I can see someone going for it. All of the people I know to ask, already had family hunting their land.
texags82
AG
Thanks. I will check with our soil conservation agent for our place in South Texas to see if he has any contacts because he is from that area.
greenmachine
AG
I've never shot so much in my life, it was a lot of fun. We ended up with a little over 400, about 1/2 jacks and 1/2 cottontails. I had no clue how many it would take to win going into this deal, mainly because I'm not very familiar with that country. But after killing 200+ before dark I figured out it would take a bunch!
We ran a 4 inch poly line that was sticking out of the ground through the front fender of our ranger right after dark that broke the steering/tie rod and rendered it useless. We ended up having to hunt out of the pickup the entire night which really ruined the amount of rabbits we could get killed. It was still a blast and was a dang sure a good way to sharpen your marksmanship skills. Lookin forward to next year!
Chazz03
AG
Well at least you didn't shoot one of those flow lines
greenmachine
AG
Ya no kidding, we used shotguns 90% of the time mainly because the ranch we hunted was covered in wells. And we figured bird shot was the least likely to put a hole in anything.
javajaws
AG
This thread makes me warm and fuzzy.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
One of my teammates shot a flowline. Glad it was the guy that owned the place and not me.
AZAG08
AG
any idea what yalls shots/rabbit ratio was?
Chazz03
AG
quote:
One of my teammates shot a flowline. Glad it was the guy that owned the place and not me.
We also hit one with some heavier turkey load. Luckily it was a salt water line.
greenmachine
AG
Ya i was hunting with the land owners son, so he was pretty reckless. We were jumping poly lines in the ranger like it was an offroad video.

With the shotguns I bet we killed 95% of what we shot at. Granted they were all shots within 30 yards. I missed prolly 2 or 3 out of 20+ with the .22 and I shot prolly 10 or 12 at 100 +or- yards with my AR more out of boredom than necessity.
They were absolutely everywhere, you could kill 2 or 3 on the ground everytime you got out to get one.
Comeby!
AG
quote:
quote:
We also hit one with some heavier turkey load. Luckily it was a salt water line.

Environmental issue!
ATX_AG_08
AG
This looks more fun than dove hunting in Mexico.
Chazz03
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Environmental issue!

Reported to the proper authorities and repaired. Just doing our part to keep the oilfield hands employed
Comeby!
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Environmental issue!

Reported to the proper authorities and repaired. Just doing our part to keep the oilfield hands employed

Killing my LOE, smalls!
Rhwill1973
Took my 10 year old out rabbit hunting last night along with my neighbor and his 10 year old son. We hunted from 9:30 until 1/00 a.m. Easily killed over a hundred with kids doing most of the shooting. My buddy laughed. We circled a piece of property and it looked like we never shot anything when we made it back around to where we had started. You could have started over and done it again but way to late for the boys. My son did most of his shooting with a 20 gauge. He went through 3 1/2 boxes. His friend shot a .22. We also brought a 22-250 and a .204 for some distance shots for myself and neighbor. Great fun.

Quote of the trip (from my neighbor):

As he was laughing - "City kids just don't know what they're missing."

Doctor51
AG
I've had jack rabbits wipe some corn out near crp and had to eradicate. Used to never worry about it until the coyotes got wiped out by mange. Once coyotes disappeared the rabbit population went crazy.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
18 hours and 800 rabbits is about 45 rabbits and hour.

This is the kind of hunting I would want to do. Just shoot and kill until you are tired. But it would be like football two a days when you run till coach gets tired.
Chazz03
AG
quote:
18 hours and 800 rabbits is about 45 rabbits and hour.

This is the kind of hunting I would want to do. Just shoot and kill until you are tired. But it would be like football two a days when you run till coach gets tired.

The rabbit hunting is fun, shoot until you are tired.

The contest makes you go past that to the verge of no fun.
Unless you win
eric76
AG
quote:
Took my 10 year old out rabbit hunting last night along with my neighbor and his 10 year old son. We hunted from 9:30 until 1/00 a.m. Easily killed over a hundred with kids doing most of the shooting. My buddy laughed. We circled a piece of property and it looked like we never shot anything when we made it back around to where we had started. You could have started over and done it again but way to late for the boys. My son did most of his shooting with a 20 gauge. He went through 3 1/2 boxes. His friend shot a .22. We also brought a 22-250 and a .204 for some distance shots for myself and neighbor. Great fun.

Quote of the trip (from my neighbor):

As he was laughing - "City kids just don't know what they're missing."

I first read that as you have a 10 year old rabbit that you took hunting.
CS78
Dirty, thats badass! Let me know if yall are going back next year or any time and need another person. I'll bring the suppressed Benelli M1.
Cuda67bnl
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but Holy Crap! That's a mess of rabbits!!
Would any of you guys that own property be willing to let an out of town falconer chase some rabbits with his hawks? I'm from just outside of Atlanta, Ga. I'm planning a trip to y'all's area in a couple of weeks, in hopes of going after jacks and bunnies with my birds. We just walk around with the hawks and try to jump rabbits, and let the Hawks chase and catch em. NO firearms involved.

Can you guys tell me how willing most of the landowners are out that way, to let people hunt their land? I'm only interested in jacks and bunnies, nothing else. I'm responsible, extremely respectful of other's property, and as I said above, don't use firearms.
Hewey Calloway
AG
ScoutBanderaAg956 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Seems senseless to kill all the predators then kill so much of what remains. I'm on 3 acres outside of Bandera and we have a lot of rabbits but I don't see the harm.
Because you have three acres because it's pretty and a nice place to live. Of course you have a different outlook from someone owning or leasing thousands of acres and trying to make a profit from them.

Although I do agree that it is self-defeating to kill predators.

If you think Bandera is pretty you have obviously never visited. It's rocks and weeds and ash juniper, mesquite and lots of wildlife!

I love being in this rocky rugged mess though, beats the manicured city neighborhood.

Have you ever been to the areas they're talking about? Freakin Bandera is gorgeous without comparing it to Midkiff. In relation to Midkiff it's practically Utopia.
Cadebraden22
@Dirty-8-thirtyAg. Where in Midkiff did y'all hunt, and on who's land. I'm from there and my family farms 12 sections of land and we let a group from Midland come hunt our land as I was still in High School at the time and busy. We also get people asking us about hunting and stuff all the time and usually allow access (except for deer hunting). We just don't pay anyone to go hunting.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I don't remember exactly where the place was. It isn't far from the Pioneer Field office in Midkiff. The ranch is called the "SS Midkiff". A family from Odessa owns the place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.