Outdoors
Sponsored by

fertilizer for St. Augustine yard

20,222 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FatZilla
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just moved into a new house with St. Augustine grass (used to have bermuda, I acknowledge that bermuda is a superior turfgrass but I'm also not going to replace my lawn).

The yard is currently in excellent shape and I want to keep it that way. What type of fertilizer should I use on the St. Augustine to keep it healthy? I'm in Dallas if that matters.
eric76
AG
quote:
Just moved into a new house with St. Augustine grass (used to have bermuda, I acknowledge that bermuda is a superior turfgrass but I'm also not going to replace my lawn).

The yard is currently in excellent shape and I want to keep it that way. What type of fertilizer should I use on the St. Augustine to keep it healthy? I'm in Dallas if that matters.
Would 2 pounds of cattle manure per square foot work?
AgBQ-00
AG
started using Lesco from the John Deere landscaping close to my neighborhood this year. The stuff is awesome. Highly recommend it. My FIL uses it as well and his yard is immaculate.
jpc08
AG
I'm sure you will get some differing opinions on this but I follow Randy Lemmon's schedule.

http://www.randylemmon.com/lawns/fertilize.html
bagger05
AG
quote:
Would 2 pounds of cattle manure per square foot work?

If I wanted to live in a s##thole I would have moved to Houston.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I go with the TAMU textbook 3-1-2 ratio.

http://publications.tamu.edu/TURF_LANDSCAPE/PUB_turf_Maintaining%20St.%20Augustine%20Grass%20Lawns.pdf
Twelfthman99
AG
You have to get the soil tested by the Ag Extension office to determine what type of nutrients your soil needs. It's cheap and will make a huge difference. Once you identify the type of fertilizer, apply it according to the major holidays to keep yourself on schedule:

Start at Easter
Apply again at Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Winterize at Halloween

Never use a weed and feed. Those should be two separate things.

Balan or a similar pre-emergent in February, in early Summer, and again before the early fall weeds appear.
Scriffer
AG
http://publications.tamu.edu/TURF_LANDSCAPE/PUB_turf_Maintaining%20St.%20Augustine%20Grass%20Lawns.pdf

This is my Lawn Bible. My St. Augustine has exploded the last two years.

I'm going to switch to Lesco stuff too. Their retailers are a long way from my place though.
Ezra Brooks
AG
quote:
I'm sure you will get some differing opinions on this but I follow Randy Lemmon's schedule.

All of Randy's stuff is Gulf Coast oriented -- may work in Dallas, but there are likely some better resources for Dallas folks.
jpc08
AG
Good point. I missed that in the OP.
Rockdoc
AG
Ok, what is a good brand 3-1-2 fertilizer? And where can you get it in B/CS?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I buy a Lesco 15-5-10 (3-1-2 ratio) from Home Depot
The Original AG 76
AG
quote:
quote:

All of Randy's stuff is Gulf Coast oriented -- may work in Dallas, but there are likely some better resources for Dallas folks.
Randy now is on a DFW station and he has confirmed that the schedule is still absolutely valid. The dates may slip by a few weeks due to a possible longer cold season BUT the schedule os accurate as far as what to apply.
AgBQ-00
AG
My understanding is the HD Lesco is not the same as the Lesco at John Deere. TTFWIW
DannyDuberstein
AG
Have no idea, but I can't imagine there are too many magic beans in one slow release 3-1-2 vs. another slow release 3-1-2. I've just had plenty of success with the one I've been buying from HD for many years. I'm sure I've occassionally mixed in some non-Lesco 3-1-2 at certain times if it wasn't in stock, etc.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
My understanding is the HD Lesco is not the same as the Lesco at John Deere. TTFWIW

It's not.
bagger05
AG
Thanks for all the responses.

I like that holiday schedule. Easy to remember.
FiTxAg04
AG
Started finding Lesco at HD this year, too. Awesome stuff.
Rockdoc
AG
HD doesn't have Lesco fert. Anywhere else?
Rockdoc
AG
nm
HD had Vigaro 15-5-10 so I bought that. Prob pretty close to same quality.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Scotts fert is very good as well.
cevans_40
AG
I always liked anything with Atrazine. Harder to find now but its still out there.
HTownAg98
I've used the Fertilome Greenmaker (18-0-6) slow release and have been very happy with it. It's got some sulfur to help with the alkaline soils, and iron to keep iron levels in line.
HTownAg98
quote:
I always liked anything with Atrazine. Harder to find now but its still out there.

I can guarantee your trees hate the atrazine.
Gigemags05
AG
Atrazine kills trees.

I hate Scott's. I get mine from the feed store.
itsyourboypookie
I watered mine to death
GigEm78
AG
Agree wholeheartedly with the 3-1-2 nitrogen/phosphorous/potash blend. But why buy a 15-5-10 and pay for all that filler?
Buy a 21-7-14 or a 24-8-16 from Producers Cooperative and get value. Do the math.
We sell it for $17/lb bag in NE Texas.
craig09
AG
I work at John Deere Landscapes and can say that the Lesco fertilizers available at HD is a great product, but you're better off coming to a JDL branch and getting our Lesco fertilizer instead. The 28-3-10 ratio this year has yielded amazing results, even with the saturation we experienced in DFW.

You guys that come into our stores, curious to see which locations you're visiting.
VanZandt92
What is Neil Sperry 's handle on Texags?
AgBQ-00
AG
I go to he Keller location Great place to pick up all I need. BTW how much is Celsius running? I have a nice mix of dallys (sp?) And sedge in my yard that I have not been able to get under control yet
craig09
AG
quote:
I go to he Keller location Great place to pick up all I need. BTW how much is Celsius running? I have a nice mix of dallys (sp?) And sedge in my yard that I have not been able to get under control yet

Well I'll start by saying that it's an agency product, meaning that Bayer sets the price. That means across the board you can't override the cost toake it cheaper. The current price is $93, but as you know, for residential use it will last forever. The mix rate is so small that a bottle will last you a long time. For applicators, it does not last as long because they treat lawns all day every day. It is one of the top 3 herbicides we sell on a quantity basis because the results are undeniable. The guys (and gals) at Keller are good people.
cz308
Glad I seen this thread. Just stopped by Producers today and picked up some of the Brazos Best. I used it a long time ago, and it didn't seem to work well, so I used Scotts instead. After getting a soil test, I've decided to give Brazos Best another try. Seems I'm at a point where only parts of the yard grows well.

I've never heard of the holiday schedule to fertilize, but seems like it would be easy for me to remember, so why not. lol
gigem70
AG
A lot of north Texas soils need only nitrogen. The only way to know for sure is a soil test.
Josepi
AG
quote:
A lot of north Texas soils need only nitrogen. The only way to know for sure is a soil test.

I live in Tyler, have done the soil analysis, and I only need nitrogen.
VanZandt92
Get that grass wet before fertilizing and water pretty good thereafter. You've been warned.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.