Outdoors
Sponsored by

fertilizer for St. Augustine yard

20,180 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FatZilla
FiTxAg04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
craig09, I stopped by the JDL in Lewisville today and picked up a bag of the 28-3-10 you speak highly of. Could you give me a recommendation for my setting on a Scott's Edgeguard Mini rotary spreader? I used 8 with Lesco's 15-5-10, as directed by the bag instructions. I've read that the Edguard Mini's settings are equivalent to the Easygreen 3000 spreader. I always struggle to figure settings when I try new fertilizers. I know I need a new, quality spreader.
Ragoo
AG
How do I kill crab grass and feed st Augustine?
DannyDuberstein
AG
With a shovel
clintaggie04
clintaggie04
AG
How and where do I get my soil tested? I'm in League City.
HTownAg98
quote:
How do I kill crab grass and feed st Augustine?

Put down a pre-emerge in the spring (not atrazine). Something with Barricade or Dimension are good choices.
bagger05
AG
Look up the Texas A&M Ag Extension service on Google. They have instructions on their website about how to take a sample and where to send it.
B-1 83
AG
RA quality fertilizer will have sulfur coated or polymer coated urea as one component. This insures longer lasting availability of the nitrogen. You get what you pay for.
Ktlwarr
Hi! Thanks to everyone on this post for sharing your knowledge! We moved to Fort Worth last year and have a St. Augustine lawn. This is our first home with a yard and we are still learning how to care for it, with not much success. So I really do appreciate that you are sharing information for newbies like us. My questions regarding this post is whether it is even possible to have a fairly weed-free, disease-free, healthy lawn if we can't spend the type of money required to buy the products recommended by Mr. Lemon's suggested schedule for maintenance. Most of those treatments are super expensive! Could anyone recommend some effective pre-emergent herbicides and fungicides that those of us on the less affluent side can afford? Or is it not possible to have a nice lawn without spending a lot of money? I have already spent money just in the last three months applying Hi-Yield Crabgrass Preventer, Hi-Yield Feed and Weed, Lesco 15-5-10 fertilizer and the lawn is full of weeds and almost all overgrown with dallisgrass. The St. Augustine seems to be stunted and just now starting to grow (late April), but there are quite a few bare spots and the blades are yellowing. So frustrating!
FatZilla
AG
For week killing, get yourself a hose end attachment and mix your own from concentrates. I have been using the Weed b Gon broadleaf killer for a month now and its murder on all the crap in my yard except my grass. $9 covers my whole yard for a treatment.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ortho-Weed-B-Gon-32-oz-Weed-Killer-Concentrate-0420050/205697164

Tractor supply has a bunch of concentrates to use as well. Mix in a surfactent or a little dawn dish soap when you apply so that it works better and penetrates to kill.

Find out what you have and apply specific treatments. I had a ton of Bur Medic and other broadleafs in my yard, so thats what I used.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.