Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alligator attack

38,445 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieChemist
SECond2noneAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Wait...so in however many years of keeping records there's never been an attack on someone that wasn't handling an alligator. But now there have been 2 in a matter of days/weeks? And one of them fatal?

That's seems strange?

It's almost like something happened in the last week or so that pissed off God, and now he's out for revenge against humanity.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
Wait...so in however many years of keeping records there's never been an attack on someone that wasn't handling an alligator. But now there have been 2 in a matter of days/weeks? And one of them fatal?

That's seems strange?

It's almost like something happened in the last week or so that pissed off God, and now he's out for revenge against humanity.
There has not been a fatality in 200 years. The one a week or so ago in chambers county was an attack.

Old Sarge
AG
Saw one cruising up the middle of the Inracoastal canal right in front of Stillwater Flats Association (Charlie's) evening before last. 10 footer. Evidently he, or another, snagged the camp dog right off the boat ramp a few months ago. Told the kiddo go not stand on the ramp just in case.
Old Sarge
AG
Cannot edit above post..told him NOT to stand in the ramp.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

That's seems strange?

Of course the gators also hate the ****s, IFKWIM
Stive
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's seems strange?

There has not been a fatality in 200 years. The one a week or so ago in chambers county was an attack.

And the ABC news article about the attack in Orange said a man is dead.....what'd I miss?
ursusguy
AG
Two different incidents. The one in Orange did result in a fatality, the one last week did not.
Potlicker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's seems strange?

The drunk guy that jumped in the water at 2am at the marina with his girlfriend was an attack too.... One the drunk guy didn't survive.. Marina owner said that gator was a 12 ft gator..
Diet Cokehead
AG
Sounds like a favorite to win the 2015 Darwin award.
Stive
AG
So you guys that have spent time around them, help me understand....a gator will grab a dog off of a boat ramp, but everyone who lives near/around gators is cool with their kids or themselves swimming in "gator water" because they don't typically come after humans?

I thought gators were basically opportunistic hunters and would grab whatever is convenient....am I wrong? Or have they adapted to be afraid of humans? Why are pets on the menu but people aren't?
ATX_AG_08
AG
A vigilante killed the alligator.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Alligator-suspected-of-deadly-attack-shot-and-6369345.php?t=b2f78bc44155ac21b0&cmpid=twitter-premium

http://www.okcfox.com/story/29487024/11-foot-alligator-killed-in-texas-had-body-of-man-inside

www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-named-bear-kills-man-eating-texas-alligator-article-1.2283713

Bird Poo
AG
I used to know and run around with people like that dude that died. Some redneck trying to impress his girlfriend.

One of my worse fears is getting pulled under by a gator or one of my kids getting taken. Ugh.
jswags
AG
Will "Bear" face charges for killing the gator?
bmc13
AG
I hope he is at least fined
JD05AG
AG
If you told me to picture a person from that area, that would get eaten by an alligator, drunk, at 230 in the morning, after yelling "F*** that alligator!", A police sketch couldn't be any more accurate.
ATX_AG_08
AG
quote:
If you told me to picture a person from that area, that would get eaten by an alligator, drunk, at 230 in the morning, after yelling "F*** that alligator!", A police sketch couldn't be any more accurate.

This. Kind of makes me curious to see the girl who went swimming with him at that hour.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:

This. Kind of makes me curious to see the girl who went swimming with him at that hour.

I think the girl was trying to convince him not to go.

Regardless, dude goes swimming at night, in a bayou where big gators have been known to frequent, and near a fish-cleaning station where the gators eat scraps and thus have come to associate people with food, and we're supposed to be surprised he got eaten by an alligator?

Stereotypes exist for a reason and the above is 100% accurate.

It's like a white-trash version of "Family Feud"- they flash a picture and you get to guess on how the person died. Gator attack would definitely be on the list. So would meth-lab explosion, car/train wreck, accidental discharge from a gun, or shot in the head with an arrow trying to play William Tell.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
So you guys that have spent time around them, help me understand....a gator will grab a dog off of a boat ramp, but everyone who lives near/around gators is cool with their kids or themselves swimming in "gator water" because they don't typically come after humans?

I thought gators were basically opportunistic hunters and would grab whatever is convenient....am I wrong? Or have they adapted to be afraid of humans? Why are pets on the menu but people aren't?

I don't know that I'd say I'm cool with myself or kids swimming around in gator infested waters like a murky bayou. But I have little issue swimming in a river like the San Bernard that I know gators are in, because I cannot remember ever hearing about any incidents with one down home. Now if we are out and about swimming and I look up to see a sizeable alligator floating the direction I'm in or my kids are in, I'm going to be smart and get them out of the water at the point i feel it is necessary, and i'm not going to go Steve Irwin on the thing and see if it likes a stick shoved up it's ass or anything like that. Basically, common sense.

Couldn't tell you why humans are not typically a meal - could be because we weren't even on the planet when gators evolved to what they are now, so we just aren't really wired into their brain to be seen as food. Could be because every creature has inherent abilities to determine food, not food, higher on the food chain, lower on the food chain, etc. and alligators aren't much of an exception.
ursusguy
AG
Simply put, look how many alligators live in or near major urban areas, and how rarely injuries/fatalities occur. Same principle apply.

When I worked in Florida, the residents flat out pointed out "swim there, don't swim over there". There are a lot of alligators, and a few crocs, down in the Keys.
Aries
Well it seems I went to high school with one of the guys that has seemed to state was involved with the shooting of the gator. Their reasoning is because their kids swim in that bayou...how effing stupid are they? Well, really stupid since they were dumbasses in high school
VanZandt92
Accidental gun discharges happen in all social strata.
VanZandt92
Damn is that an earring on Tommie? Dang I've known a lot of backwoods people, but I've never seen accoutrement like that.
BQ_90
AG
My guess is they go after what they think they can eat, so things smaller than them. I'd think they'd view the size of a human as more of a threat than as a meal. But many. times near people if they get fed they lose all fear of humans
76Ag
AG
By "National Geographic" gators I just meant big ones. My wife's uncle used to raise rice south of Winnie and I've seen huge moccasins and alligators out in those fields.
plowboy1065
S
Who was your wife's uncle?
RK
AG
His wife's aunts husband.
Cancelled
AG
What I find terrifying about these gator attacks is that they actually eat the victim. Most shark deaths end up with the person bleeding out from a bite to the leg. But to be devoured by a lizard is just crazy.
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's seems strange?

Well things change.

Check the earring.
AggieChemist
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.