Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alligator attack

38,438 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieChemist
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I never saw one in the San Bernard or Bastrop Bayou when playing while a horny teenager (would definitely have used that to my advantage...)

The San Bernard and Bastrop down in my neck of the woods are great places to spend a summer day water skiing, boating and drinking a few beers without huge odds of getting caught by LEO's.

There were always chicks readily available to accompany you for some good times. And they wore skimpy bikinis. A gator would have been a really good excuse to get up close and personal with one of said chicks. Friskiness likely would have followed shortly after.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I never saw one in the San Bernard or Bastrop Bayou when playing while a horny teenager (would definitely have used that to my advantage...)

The San Bernard and Bastrop down in my neck of the woods are great places to spend a summer day water skiing, boating and drinking a few beers without huge odds of getting caught by LEO's.

There were always chicks readily available to accompany you for some good times. And they wore skimpy bikinis. A gator would have been a really good excuse to get up close and personal with one of said chicks. Friskiness likely would have followed shortly after.
I think we just wanted to make sure you weren't some sort of gator ****er... Though according to the Supreme Court, I guess there's not anything wrong with that if you were.
schmellba99
AG
I'm from south Texas, not Louisiana!
DayAg!
S
Used to see them regular in the oxbows on the north end of Toledo Bend south of Logansport. Some got pretty long. Biggest I seen had to have been 12-14 ft.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I forget if it was the 2013 duck season or the 2012 season but I was told something like 9 or 10 dogs were lost to gators by duck hunters on BA Steinhagen alone that one year.
MagnumLoad
There are definitely gators in the upper reaches of Lake Lewisville well north of Dallas.
DoubleE65
AG
We go to Caddo quite often and have seen plenty of gators, mainly in the less traveled back lakes and cuts. We always hang out in the water in front of the lakehouse plus wakeboard but you always have a suspicion that something just might bite your foot off haha
Aggielandma12
AG
quote:
That's about 10 minutes from my house. They're idiots for swimming there.

Are you the guy in the interview!?
Sublette County
AG
If you are really interested in seeing a ton of gators, take a trip in a kayak in Sheldon Lake on the east side of Houston. For the most part they won't bother you, but some of the big ones will follow at a distance. Going out in summer, I'll typically see at least 20 gators.

One time I was paddling very slowly and quietly through a shallow cut in the lily pads and surprised one right under my kayak. He bucked up and must have slapped the bottom of my kayak with his tail while he hauled ass away. My kayak jumped a few inches out of the water. That was not a fun feeling.

schmellba99
AG
quote:
I forget if it was the 2013 duck season or the 2012 season but I was told something like 9 or 10 dogs were lost to gators by duck hunters on BA Steinhagen alone that one year.

Dogs are a different story. Alligators seem to like dogs.

There was a guy a few years back in my hometown that was walking his dog through the nature trail at the local park, which backs up to the Brazos and a lot of heavily wooded bottomland. He tossed a stick or a ball or somesuch out in the water for his golden to go fetch. Bad move on his part as a 10 foot or so alligator decided that the golden retriever would be perfect for lunch. A few others have lost their dogs in the water at the park as well.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I saw a big one in Buck Bay on Sam Rayburn back in April. He was paddling right down the middle of the bay like he owned it bellowing as he went. He was looking for love in all the wrong places.

This guy had been in and out of the waters near Rayburn Country on Sam Rayburn for a long time until they caught him last year.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/jasper/news/article/Monster-Alligator-killed-in-Rayburn-Country-5876229.php
Shilo
AG
Taylor's is our go-to spot, but haven't had much time the past few summers since having kids. Spent some time on Cow Bayou and off the cuts on the Neches but not a fan of the ship/barge traffic.
PharmD4
AG
Yep...spent many hours on the neches between Pine street boat ramp and the port area.

Just about every outdoor activity in that area is in the company of gators. Never really got worked up about it unless they got near our retriever.
Shilo
AG
I used that Pine Street boat ramp one Sunday. When we got there, it was a racially mixed crowd of families and kids.

Our group consisted of myself and a buddy and 5 girls. He had to be somewhere late that afternoon and they weren't ready to get off the water so I dropped him off and we stayed out until dusk.

When we got back to the boat ramp all the families had disappeared and it was like a ghetto parade through the park. The girls stayed in the boat at the dock while I went to get the truck/trailer from the parking lot. In the 2-3 minutes it took me, about 15 teenage ghetto boys had migrated to the dock in front of my boat attempting to hit on the ladies and making them very uncomfortable. Got the boat loaded up and as we were leaving I noticed 3-4 cops sitting in lawn chairs at the entrance to the trailer lot and it literally looked like a parade of old Cadillacs with over-sized rims and rattling trunks lined up down the road and rolling through the park. I assumed the cops were posted up bc they expected trouble. We now leave well before dusk when launching there.
Build It
AG
Dozens of gators around the Clear Lake area. Never been an issue and we've done some stupid things with them. This attack is not normal. Agree there must have been a nest close by. Usually they swim away from folks.

My buddy grabbed the tail of a 6 footer on the golf course last week. Funny as hell when it turned 90 degrees and hissed in a fraction of a second. Golf, whiskey and gators are a great time.
BCO07
AG
Has your buddy never seen Happy Gilmore?
duddleysdraw88
AG
quote:
quote:
No gators in NE Texas? You've never been on Caddo Lake.

True. They're there. I reckon I just haven't seen them in my neck.
Ray Hubbard and Lavon have them east of metroplex....as well as Purtis Creek, Cedar Creek, Tawakoni, Fork and Athens a little further east. I'd assume they would be in most lakes in NE Texas.....
ursusguy
AG
By the way, Cedar Creek Res. gets some of the largest alligators outside the core area.
nealan
I know they've caught at least one in Martin Lake, near Tatum
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
If you are really interested in seeing a ton of gators, take a trip in a kayak in Sheldon Lake on the east side of Houston. For the most part they won't bother you, but some of the big ones will follow at a distance. Going out in summer, I'll typically see at least 20 gators.

One time I was paddling very slowly and quietly through a shallow cut in the lily pads and surprised one right under my kayak. He bucked up and must have slapped the bottom of my kayak with his tail while he hauled ass away. My kayak jumped a few inches out of the water. That was not a fun feeling.

That's exactly why I don't like to fish Sheldon in a kayak despite living less than 10 minutes from the ramp. I'll fish it more once I get the new boat. But I might have the wife drive my truck home so it doesn't get broken into.

There are gators all over near our neighborhood.
Build It
AG
quote:
Has your buddy never seen Happy Gilmore?

You've never seen a 57 year old man move that fast. He's a redneck from Baytown if that explains .
PharmD4
AG
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-killed-texas-alligator-attack-late-night-swim-32204656
MouthBQ98
AG
I've kayaked Sheldon before. It is kinda creepy in the mid-summer when it is heavily overgrown, and you can't see very far into the lily pads and water weed.

As I was leaving, I saw a little 2 foot gator in the ditch near the ramp entrance. I keep an eye out where they are more likely to be, but I don't worry that much about them. I've been swimming in some of the most "gatory" lakes in Texas.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Only if you count the 4wheel, internal combustion engine specie roaming around on the sand.
76Ag
AG
I've seen National Geographic gators in the rice canals and lakes at Winnie. I'd assume they are in any body of water in Texas east of San Angelo, lol. I've certainly seen them in lake Livingston.
Ag_of_08
AG
There was an attack in Orange Tx last night
SECond2noneAgs
AG
quote:

quote:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-killed-texas-alligator-attack-late-night-swim-32204656
Ag_of_08
AG
sorry didn't click the link tbh. I've had the misfortune of diving in that area before......not fun.
Aries
I'm wondering what drugs the idiot was on & if I know them.
plowboy1065
S
I'm from Winnie but what is National Geographic gators?
Centerpole90
AG
Another gator attack??

Anybody heard from Meaux92?
plowboy1065
S
He never replied to my text yesterday so he may be gator bait
Bunk Moreland
Signs were posted about an alligator in the area, and an employee was begging him not to jump in due to gators in the area and he said "**** the gators" and jumped in. Apparently he was almost immediately attacked and killed.

Play stupid games...
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:

Considering he wears his keys on his ear ring. I would say that Darwin won this one
Stive
AG
Wait...so in however many years of keeping records there's never been an attack on someone that wasn't handling an alligator. But now there have been 2 in a matter of days/weeks? And one of them fatal?

That's seems strange?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.