Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rain is outdoors.....

1,262,682 Views | 7033 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by ilikeit
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
B-1, you guys have been getting pounded the past week. One of my cotton fields between Sinton and Taft has had something like 8" in 7 days... Insurance adjusters are on the way out there very soon.

As bad as it has been I still can't complain about the rain. Now the Mosquitos on the other hand....
B-1 83
AG
quote:
B-1, you guys have been getting pounded the past week. One of my cotton fields between Sinton and Taft has had something like 8" in 7 days... Insurance adjusters are on the way out there very soon.

As bad as it has been I still can't complain about the rain. Now the Mosquitos on the other hand....
10 inches in 2 weeks.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Unreal. Should help with the low water in the bay's.

Send me an email if you don't mind. I know we work in the same industry. I'm just curious if we have crossed paths before.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
1.3-2" in Victoria today, more coming tomorrow with severe weather on friday
STX Ag
AG
2.5" in Portland today.
Tim Taylor
No Hurry is too much for a patty melt
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
schmellba99
AG
That map is starting to look pretty good, especially considering where it was a couple of years ago.

Not going to lie - a couple of weeks of no rain and a light wind would not hurt my feelings. I am going to have to go rent some goats to graze in the yard before i can mow again if this keeps up.
carpe vinum
AG
Hurricane season may be interesting this year as well with the projected El Nino activity.

GottaRide
S
I'm really looking forward to seeing how much this helps quail rebound this year. I saw more last year than I have seen in more than a decade. This should really give them a chance to increase.
Log
AG
That map isn't really true, at least for parts of the state. In Cooke County, all of the stock tanks are overflowing, and the creeks are all running. It is sloppy saturated. Ray Roberts is only ~2.5 feet low, up from 8 feet low at the beginning of the year.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
That map isn't really true, at least for parts of the state. In Cooke County, all of the stock tanks are overflowing, and the creeks are all running. It is sloppy saturated. Ray Roberts is only ~2.5 feet low, up from 8 feet low at the beginning of the year.
The map is only an interpretation/opinion. It'll even say in the small print that local conditions may vary.
danieljustin06
AG
quote:
What part of Cooke County are you in? I'm in Muenster.
Log
AG
VV.
AlphaBean
AG
quote:
VV.

I was surprised Cooke didn't change at all from last week on the drought map. I was expecting at least parts if it to be removed from drought status completely and for nothing to be worse than "abnormally dry". Also in VV and there's nothing drought about this area, let alone level 2 drought. Could have easily emptied our stock tanks entirely and they would be filled right back up. We've got a creek that runs to Ray Roberts about 200' from the house and it's been running since February. Until now we've only seen water in it occasionally since we bought the place in 2013.
danieljustin06
AG
quote:
quote:
VV.

I was surprised Cooke didn't change at all from last week on the drought map. I was expecting at least parts if it to be removed from drought status completely and for nothing to be worse than "abnormally dry". Also in VV and there's nothing drought about this area, let alone level 2 drought. Could have easily emptied our stock tanks entirely and they would be filled right back up. We've got a creek that runs to Ray Roberts about 200' from the house and it's been running since February. Until now we've only seen water in it occasionally since we bought the place in 2013.
That the same creek that goes over the service road in VV?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Got hammered by rain last night here in Bastrop county. Many roads closed due to flooding. I've seen water running where I have never seen it before in my 50 years here. And more is coming over the next several days. WOW.
Log
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
VV.

IIRC, AlphaBean is further east. The creek you are referring to is Spring Creek, and it runs through our place. I've caught a lot of catfish in it, especially in the 80's & 90's, before we got in this drought cycle. I've seen it close to completely dry a few times, but there are areas that hold water year round. It's actually one of the things that save my grandfather and his family back in the 50's. He had water, whereas everybody else around him had to sell off their herds, since their tanks were dry.
GSS
quote:
Got hammered by rain last night here in Bastrop county. Many roads closed due to flooding. I've seen water running where I have never seen it before in my 50 years here. And more is coming over the next several days. WOW.
This morning 1.6" in about 45 minutes, just west of Snook. Stocks tanks overflowing for the 5th time this year...gotta be a record.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Sean98
AG
5 times in the last 3 weeks we've had big rains in the forecast. Supposed to be upwards of 5". We were supposed to get an inch last night as well. To date we have 0.62" for that entire period. We continue to be WAAAAAAAYYY under our normal rainfall amounts. I guess the good news is that at this time last year 100% of the state was in some stage of drought. As of this week only 91.8% of the state is in some stage of drought. Baby steps, right?
danieljustin06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
VV.

IIRC, AlphaBean is further east. The creek you are referring to is Spring Creek, and it runs through our place. I've caught a lot of catfish in it, especially in the 80's & 90's, before we got in this drought cycle. I've seen it close to completely dry a few times, but there are areas that hold water year round. It's actually one of the things that save my grandfather and his family back in the 50's. He had water, whereas everybody else around him had to sell off their herds, since their tanks were dry.
Well, both lakes are full here and the brushy creek is running full. Germanfest is going to be a muddy.
Slided bread
AG
Anyone getting the crazy weather? Breckenridge is getting skated... Parts of the big country are getting spoiled!!
XpressAg09
AG
Got woke up at 3-4 am today with some pretty bad rain. I can't find it in me to complain about rain in Texas, but damn...
schmellba99
AG
Saturday morning and yesterday evening I had some real concerns about tornados in the area. Small cells of really powerful wind and rain both days.

Luckily i mowed the front yard Friday, and shook off the laziness yesterday to mow the back right as the rains hit. Didnt empty my gauge before hand, so not sure how much we got, but guessing around 1.5" to 2" in about an hour and a half. Satellite showed a purple cell right over us that had some spinning motion, and the wind was unbelievable for about a 20 minute period.

It has been a long, long time since I remember this much of this intensity of rain.
Ragoo
AG
Looks like the panhandle is getting a much needed washout.
Slided bread
AG
The panhandle looks like it's getting a really nice stationary storm.... Wonder how much that might impact lake Meredith.
PANHANDLE10

Flash flood watch in the Panhandle!? And it's supposed to keep raining all day.

As far as Meredith goes, this rain is landing in a good spot for Meredith. But they'd need it to rain like this everyday for a month.
aTm2004
AG
My aunt's car this morning in Willis. It's about 9 months old.

yeahtoast
AG
Willis/Conroe took the full brunt of that system moving through early this morning. That lightning show over the lake was intense.
Sean98
AG
We had a good solid forecast for about 1.2" over the 3 day period of Fri-Sun. Instead we got 0.5" in about 30 minutes at daybreak on Saturday morning and then nothing else. Good news is, while short-lived, that storm was hard enough we got a little bit of runoff to the creek. But we're still down about 50% on the year.
fightingfarmer09
2-4" in Wharton area. Corn hanging on, some hybrids laying down in my different plots.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Getting rain in Wichita Falls right now!!! WHOOP!
HumbleAg04
AG
Lost power Sat morning at 7AM in NW Houston. Hail, rain, and some impressive wind that when my brother visiting from Austin asked "hmm is this a tornado" and I answered honestly with "Not sure, maybe." (We've both seen tornados)

Centerpoint took 15 hours to get power to my hood restored. It went off again at 4AM this morning (I was about to lose it) but came on at 6AM.

Rain and storms like this used to be common in Houston, we just had that nice 3-4 year drought and forgot what its like.
EMY92
AG
quote:

As far as Meredith goes, this rain is landing in a good spot for Meredith. But they'd need it to rain like this everyday for a month.
15 years ago, when I worked in the Panhandle/South Plains area, I was listening to talk radio in Amarillo. It was either a NWS meteorologist or someone from Lake Meredith and at that time, they said to get the lake back to 50% it would take a 48" rainfall. Not 48" of rain in a year, but in a single rain.

I doubt Meredith will ever hold significant water again.
fightingfarmer09
quote:
quote:

15 years ago, when I worked in the Panhandle/South Plains area, I was listening to talk radio in Amarillo. It was either a NWS meteorologist or someone from Lake Meredith and at that time, they said to get the lake back to 50% it would take a 48" rainfall. Not 48" of rain in a year, but in a single rain.

I doubt Meredith will ever hold significant water again.
I miss Doppler Dave. Shel Winkley was up there too if I remember correctly. Tornado and severe thunderstorm coverage is 10 times more informative in the Panhandle vs the Coastal Bend.
First Page Last Page
Page 5 of 201

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.