Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rain is outdoors.....

1,262,727 Views | 7033 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by ilikeit
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
We just got hammered with a squall south of Houston. Ping pong ball sized hail in angleton, wind was probably gusting around 30-35 knots. Jad me a smidge worried there for a second.

Hell of a lightening show, probably lost my little grill when a gust blew it over and bent it all to hell.
No hail last night but we had straight line winds around 50mph I'd guess. Had a several thousand pound crane boom/auger banging back against the tracks. Pushed a tree over and snapped one about 15 ft up. There are a few pretty good cells in these storms the past 24 hours.
Aggie_3
Power is out here at the future in laws house here in pearland! As Ollie says "ITS RAININ SIDEWAYS"
carpe vinum
AG
Frankie warned ya'll.
fightingfarmer09
Lost a lot of cotton and had some corn hit hard by hail all along the coast. If you have a decent cotton stand along the coast from the Valley on up, consider yourself lucky. Terrible planting season so far.
bigtruckguy3500
quote:
For the life of me, I can't understand why............

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/04/ntmwd-will-ease-water-restrictions-on-may-1.html/
I suppose people are tired of dead lawns. I personally wouldn't ease restrictions until they've got a good buffer, and even then I think we should always be in "water conservation mode." At least until reservoirs and lakes are literally overflowing.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Holy hook echo! Saw this on the radar around 6:30 this evening. It hit here about 20 minutes later. Most impressive lightening display I've ever seen! Led to immense street flooding and power lines down all over town.

G. hirsutum Ag
AG
According to my digital gauge yesterday it was coming down at rates of .1-.25" a minute at some points in Victoria
Centerpole90
AG
RGV rain was in the early morning hours and uneventful @ best. Haven't looked at the gauge yet, and the porch is wet, but I see a dry spot under the patio table. I don't think it added up to a lot.
Knucklesammich
I remember not having to water our lawn in Georgetown at all in 2007....
OnlyForNow
AG
Had at least 2-4 inches in the sugar land area. Major street flooding, was actually headed to go chase turkeys last night at 7 and turned around on the grand parkway due to over a foot of standing water.
Bottlerocket
AG
I was at a frisco city council meeting where NTMWD presented their status update and said they were removing water restrictions. A council member asked why remove or reduce water restrictions. NTMWD said TCEQ requires them to - so it's at thee state level. Still, seems stupid to me
schmellba99
AG
We got pretty lucky - just south of us in Angleton and further down in LJ there were a lot of trees down and downed power lines. About half of LJ is without power still and a good chunk of Angleton as well. Lots of hail, outside chance even a small tornado touched down.

It was a solid rain storm, for sure. Another straight up rain shower hit around 3 or 4 this morning. Havent checked the gauge on that one.
Cole97
AG
quote:
Lost a lot of cotton and had some corn hit hard by hail all along the coast. If you have a decent cotton stand along the coast from the Valley on up, consider yourself lucky. Terrible planting season so far.

Coming from a family that survives on ginning just a bit south of Houston, this makes me sad.
wrightb
AG
Had another 2.15" late yesterday just north of Panna Maria here in Karnes County.

Had one heck of a lightening show in that storm. A salt water disposal facility on Hwy. 181 just north of Karnes City was hit by lightening and the storage tanks burned for 4-5 hours.
OnlyForNow
AG
I was just up near Brady this week as well. If they got it nearly as bad as we did west of Houston their wheat crop will be destroyed mostly.
ursusguy
AG
I could be wrong, but I believe that came out of the 2011 Legislative session.
gillom
AG
We lease 250 acres to a farmer near ballinger. The wheat crop was the best it's been in 5 years. Hope it made it through.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
This doesn't include this weeks rain
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
For comparison sake here is April 19, 2011

STX Ag
AG
Another .85" just North of CC last night, and a couple small tornados reported as well. That's about 5" this week alone. Most of the farmers around here have basically given up on this year. Either their crops never got planted bc the fields were too wet, or they basically drowned or were ruined from so much rain.

I'm in the fence contracting business, and our sales are off about 40% from last year bc we cannot get in the field to do the work. Very frustrating.
STX Ag
AG
And the worst part is that we've had all this rain and the lakes are only at about 35%. Wtf?
HTownAg98
It's all recharging into the shallow aquifers that have been running dry. Once those fill up, you'll start getting the serious runoff that will fill the lakes.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG

Straight line winds for an hour. The gauge only caught 5" bet it as closer to 10-15". This is outside of Houston in needville at one of my customers house.
Cole97
AG
This makes me sad.
aggielostinETX
AG
Another round tonight
Centerpole90
AG
La chingada.
techno-ag
AG
Crop insurance?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Too early to tell. It might stand back up and be ok if the sun would ever come out. The thing that concerns me is all the exposed roots. Only time will tell. I'm sure the adjusters will be out looking at things and seeing what happens. But TBH I don't know jack about crop insurance.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
It's all recharging into the shallow aquifers that have been running dry. Once those fill up, you'll start getting the serious runoff that will fill the lakes.
You can thank Texas'right of capture water laws for this. Every rural retiree or semi urban/rural commuter with a water well and 5 acres of manicured perfection has the aquifers sucked dry. Then you add in all of the ash juniper and mountain cedar which isn't native to places like the hill country and is a tremendous waster of water... Lo and behold, good rains don't make the Rogers run!
STX Ag
AG
quote:

Yeah, except the choke canyon water shed hasn't seen a significant rain event in about 7 or 8 years now.
KW02
AG
5.6 here in Sugarland area.

.3 in Hondo.

I don't think that crop will make it.
ilikeit
Seven....Do you know the CED in Victoria & Calhoun Counties
STX Ag
AG
Another 2" in Portland today, and it came down in about a half hour.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
CED?
OnlyForNow
AG
Raining in Clifton now. Probably at an inch over a 30-45 minute period.

Forget putting the turkeys to bed! But the ranch needs it more than I need a turkey.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 201

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.