Outdoors
Sponsored by

How to tell coyote v fox?

11,472 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by SanAntoneAg
Aries
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Might be a dumb question but I'm new to this kind of stuff.

Just watched 2, what I think are coyotes, stalk a group of 11 deer in my front pasture for about 10 minutes. However there hasn't been a visual on coyotes in quite some time, according to my father in-law, who has lived out on the land for 25+ years. Foxes have been caught in little traps occasionally so I am surprised to see 2 coyotes all of the sudden. I've also seen a fox around our pool at night.

Is size the main thing? I think these were too big to be a fox & I'm assuming foxes don't stalk deer.

Be kind to me guys....I'm learning! & I know, google is my friend, but you guys have more 1st had knowledge.

No high fence. No I didn't shoot them.
Log
AG
I call BS (no offense intended) on there being no coyotes there. Even if they aren't seen, they are there. I've had them outside of my house in the middle of Plano on multiple occasions, so I can guarantee they are out in the country.

Fox weigh maybe 10 pounds soaking wet. Coyotes will be 20+, even on a day they haven't eaten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_fox

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Coyotes and foxes are both pretty much everywhere. Never seen two foxes stalking together, so coyotes are my guess.
Aries
It has always been assumed coyotes are still around on the land. It is just that one hasn't been spotted in a long time & then two pop up today. My father in law hasn't even caught one on his game camera.

I need to get some binoculars & a game camera. I'm interested to see what else we have walking around here.

It was pretty fun to watch the action. The deer tipped me off something else was out there when they all of the sudden popped up, tails up at attention & all were looking west. They actually let the coyotes get closer than I thought they would then they ran to the trees & coyotes followed.
TexasRebel
AG
Fox

Coyote

Foxx

Coyote
aggie_wes
AG
I've seen several coyotes out here in the past few months, and I've certainly heard them barking at night.
schmellba99
AG
I have never seen a fox in the wild. True story. Sad story too.
Aries
I have been hearing them too. I got super excited when I saw them. One was pretty big looking & the other was smaller. One of the deer stayed behind when the others took off. I was telling him "safety in numbers!" but he didn't hear me. Went outside to feed the horse & he I don't think he noticed any of the activity that was happening right on the other side of his fence.

When the husband & I first started dating, we would hear them all of the time when we stayed out here. But it kinda dwindled off. I was happy to see them today. We got a few dozen deer over here everyday, so they have plenty to eat on. Father in-law is about to have some calves drop so I had to let him know.

Wes, does your wife have a ladies group or anything she gets together with? I need mom friends out here.

aggie_wes
AG
She has a few of my coworkers wives that she gets together with occasionally for play dates with the kids, but nothing really here in town.
JYDog90
AG
These guys are experts on American foxes.

Centerpole90
AG
Ask the fox what he says.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Red fox will hunt in pairs. We lost 7 full grown rambouillet ewes to a very ruthless pair of male red fox last spring. The only reason why we know is because the gov't. trapper told us, and then caught them.

****Disclaimer**** mad face is for the fox.
Aries
Wes, I follow Parker Co Momma on FB & they have a wine/shopping thing every once in a while if she would be interested in going.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
quote:
Red fox will hunt in pairs. We lost 7 full grown rambouillet ewes to a very ruthless pair of male red fox last spring. The only reason why we know is because the gov't. trapper told us, and then caught them.

****Disclaimer**** mad face is for the fox.
good to know
ursusguy
AG
Mostly likely coyotes. There are a fair number of grey foxes in Parker County.
aggie_wes
AG
I talked to my wife about it and apparently the person who runs that site is our next door neighbor.
Aries
We know there has been a gray fox around here. My in-laws got one in a trap a little while ago. They just relocated it to the wooded area of the land.
Aries
Oh really? There is a Sip & Shop on February 24 in town. I'm going to try to go & see what it's like.

It is hard to meet people when you don't live in a neighborhood
oneeyedag
quote:

I guess Im fortunate we have tons Red Foxes up my way. Neighbor has free roaming chickens that make easy prey.

Beautiful little critters.

FIDO 96
AG
quote:
Mostly likely coyotes. There are a fair number of grey foxes in Parker County.

There's one living in my subdivision in Southlake. At least once a month my jack russell will take chase of it while we our out on our morning run. For about a 7-10 days last fall he made a den in our neighbors front flower bed. We'd see him once or twice a day...usually after dusk. We didn't mind because he seemed to keep the skunks out of the neighborhood. (By Skunks I mean the actual small animal, not someone off lesser desire. We let Southlake PD run them off)
ursusguy
AG
There is a pair of grey foxes that have lived for a couple years on Swiss Ave in Dallas, right next to Baylor Medical Center. Another popular regular hangs out near the Grand Prairie Outlets Mall. After a couple months, most of the adjacent business just realize he'll be sleeping in some cranny in the morning. Took awhile to get them to understand that he didn't need to be fed, he does quite well on rodents. But pertinent to this thread, often when calls about him come in they refer to him as "a baby coyote".
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
I had not either schmellba until my daughter's freshman year of high school! I drove up for a bball game one evening and right in front of me a fox popped out of a culvert, RIGHT IN THE HS PARKING LOT, followed by two babies. She shooed the babies back in the culvert and pranced herself right across the way toward the MS like it was no big deal.
EMY92
AG
My parents used to have foxes that would visit them in their back yard. My parents would toss old bread out for the various animals. If you sat really still, the foxes would get within about 10' of you. If there was no bread, they'd make a strange barking like noise. They'd also bring their pups. It wasn't unusual to see a half dozen each evening.
RockinU
quote:

Buy a cheap mouth call, they respond well, and can be very entertaining to call in close. Had one put his front feet on the driver's door of my truck one time trying to see where the squeak was coming from.
Aries
I toss all of our food scraps in the yard.

When our peach tree was producing peaches in the summer, we got all kinds of critters at night eating the peaches.
ursusguy
AG
Because of the rabies potential, and how easily they get habituated to people, I strongly recommend NOT feeding foxes.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
quote:

I guess Im fortunate we have tons Red Foxes up my way. Neighbor has free roaming chickens that make easy prey.

Beautiful little critters.

My neighbor a few houses over does too. They've lost a few chickens along the way - mostly to coons, but probably a few to foxes as well. I've just never actually seen one.
ToddyHill
AG
Maybe not the most scientific data available...but in my experience, a fox takes off like a bat outta hell when spotted. A coyote doesn't seem to be as spooked...
aggie_wes
AG
Depends on how acclimated they are to humans.
Aries
The coyotes were going crazy just a minute ago.
eric76
AG
quote:

I've only seen one fox in the wild. It was at night where I had stopped to check the water level in a stock tank. I was maybe 17 at the time.

Coyotes on the other hand aren't at all uncommon.
rather be fishing
AG
BTW, also fox:

valtosca
AG
quote:
Because of the rabies potential, and how easily they get habituated to people, I strongly recommend NOT feeding foxes.

"But they're so cute!"
SanAntoneAg
AG
Got up to deer camp this afternoon and checked one of the cams. Two different fox have been showing up under the feeder (one has a bob tail like a bobcat).

So with about 30 minutes of light my son and I got into the blind and commenced to blowing a cottontail in distress call.

Wasn't long before one of the fox showed up and sat about 80 yards away. My son had an open sight .22 and I had Mr. Fox in my sights with a .243. Was hoping he would come in closer and offer a shot to my son but he was looking right at us and decided he had enough.

Probably gave him a good education this evening.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.