Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cartels buying up Texas ranch land?

14,805 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Urban Ag
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spoke to an old rancher friend in San Saba who claims all the big ranches around him are being bought up by Mexican nationals. He's not a conspiracy type guy but claims it's all cartel money. If true when do the Feds step in and seize?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Nothing we have done to date has been successful at slowing these guys down and they are causing much bigger problems than just drugs. They are hindering boll weevil eradication efforts in the RGV among other things. Seems like a better alternative is to shut the border and open the market to remove the need for their current services. Just my opinion.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
That being said, I hope that isn't true but wouldn't surprise me
Lungblood
Air strikes on Mexico
Build It
AG
If the Feds seize doubtful the property will ever make it back into private hands.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
If the Feds seize doubtful the property will ever make it back into private hands.

Based on the recent trend of threads here, most poster will support this.
TexasRebel
AG
That was my first thought, too.

Is it a plot to take Texas back? Land gets purchased just to be seized by the Feds never to be sold back to private owners. Instant New New York.
GatorAg03
AG
What is the angle for the cartels? What are they doing with the land? Are we really believing the plan is to buy back TX one ranch at a time? It seems possible they would buy some border land but only if its being used as a staging area for drug movement. If they are just using it for hunting or ranching like any other person buying the land then wouldn't buying in mexico where land is much cheaper and closer make more sense?

I would have to see some data on this or understand the logic better to believe it.
Bottlerocket
AG
1. Let the Middle East burn
2. Move troops to southern border
3. ???
4. Profit
Build It
AG
The angle is money laundering. No where else to put their $. Land in Texas is a great investment.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I know there have been some of this buying in the brazos valley.
GatorAg03
AG
Did you alert the authorities of the cartels becoming your neighbors? How do you know this is happening in brazos county? With all the oil money in TX right now, I don't know if drug money should be the answer for every Mexican that buys some land.

I'm not saying this isn't happening on some level, but I have a hard time believing this is a significant problem without seeing some kind of proof. Has anyone seen any articles about land been consistently seized for this reason?
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Spoke to an old rancher friend in San Saba who claims all the big ranches around him are being bought up by Mexican nationals. He's not a conspiracy type guy but claims it's all cartel money. If true when do the Feds step in and seize?

How big is big?

Our family ranch is large for that area, and has been for sale for a while. We haven't had any Mexican nationals looking to purchase it.
OldCamp
quote:
Is it a plot to take Texas back? Land gets purchased just to be seized by the Feds never to be sold back to private owners. Instant New New York.

What's happening in New York? There's hardly any federal land in New York.
TexasRebel
AG
Strong fed regulation in NY. & surrounding areas.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Maybe I'm naive but I think that old rancher is full of it. It's pretty well known there are a lot of ridiculously wealthy Mexican folks who frankly are scared as hell of what's going on in their country so they buy homes here, invest here, etc.

I think it's the Carlton Woods neighborhood in the Woodlands that has a number of wealthy Mexican nationals buying $5MM+ homes.
schmellba99
AG
A lot of Mexican Nationals with liquid cash are finding it much more beneficial to be cash poor but asset rich, for many reasons.

A whole lot of the development in the Valley is backed financially by money from the other side of the Rio Grande.
Post removed:
by user
ursusguy
AG
Well that takes the fun out of conspiracy theory.
Kramer
AG
I don't know about ranches, but the FBI confirmed the cartels were buying homes in The Dominion (wealthy suburb neighborhood in SA where David Robinson lives) and then selling them as part of money laundering.

They weren't selling drugs out if them. Just converting dirty cash to clean. They were paying people (whites) to look respectable, go to a job every day, and keep appearances up until they could flip them.
BrazosDog02
AG
Man, there is some great camping and hiking land in New Mexico that you can get to with 4wd. I think it's BLM. I would completely support that in Texas.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Man, there is some great camping and hiking land in New Mexico that you can get to with 4wd. I think it's BLM. I would completely support that in Texas.

It is nice to have the land available. Just keep in mind that it comes with the cost of the Feds being able to close off the land without notice at any given point in time as well. Like everything else, there's always a drawback holding hands with the positive aspect.
MouthBQ98
AG
Lots of upper class Mexicans are buying in the USA for a secure retirement.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
quote:
Maybe I'm naive but I think that old rancher is full of it. It's pretty well known there are a lot of ridiculously wealthy Mexican folks who frankly are scared as hell of what's going on in their country so they buy homes here, invest here, etc.
Bingo. I came here to post this.
Natasha Romanoff
Rich Mexican nationals are buying real estate here was well, mostly to get away from the cartels.

The Chinese are buying property all over the US too. It's what happens when you had a depressed market and people with loads of cash see an investment opportunity. Not sure if there is anything to be done with this issue.
AgySkeet06
AG
There is a mexican boy that works for me on campus (grad student). His family has been farming in central mexico for many generations. He said the cartels and other type of gangs have gotten really bad over the last few years and there have been threats to farmers down there who do not cooperate with the cartels/gangs. They have started buying land in south texas to move their operation into the US for better security.

The way i see it.....they are just trying to protect themselves (their families) and maintain their livelihood. Nothing criminal about it.(Granted there may be a few purchased properties that play some role in drug trafficing but i'm not going to throw every mexican buying land in Texas in that category given the climate in Mexico) If they are going to come to the US and provide a good or service and pay their taxes and become good citizens then great. These people with money arent the illegal mooching off the US system type looking for the free handout.
Walter Kovacs
AG
increased use of the eb-5 visa program. there's a lot of upper middle class mexicans who have high tailed it out. i can't blame them. drugs are just a tiny part of a cartel. they're into everything. they squeeze everybody.
wtmartinaggie
AG
mexico has tons of oil

the solution is obvious.

invade, destroy, extract, repeat.

next bush up
E
AG
They can't be buying ranches, because people on TA have been saying they been buying in The Woodlands...
B-1 83
AG
There are a number of Mexican nationals buying land and houses, but the ones I know of are not cartel types. They just want a safe place out of Mexico for their families.
crag
AG
quote:
If true when do the Feds step in and seize?

I'd rather the Cartels have the land than the Federal government.

No, I'm not f/ing kidding.

And this topic seems more political than outdoors.
TexasRebel
AG
If the cartels get it, the Feds will be free to take it if they so desire.
aggielostinETX
AG
Yes, the weathly non-cartel folks are buying land/houses/whatever to get there money into the US financial system.
FSGuide
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that there are Mexicans? In San Saba? Unbelievable!
texrover91
AG
There are rich Mexicans without ties to the cartels? Didn't know that!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.