Outdoors
Sponsored by

Odd and creepy outdoor stories

43,306 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SteveBott
BaileyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That story reminded me of this one...I wasn't out in the woods, but at home.

Around 6:30 in the morning I walk out to get my paper and head off to work. It was light out and I noticed a small song bird on my driveway, staring up at the roof.

I walked past it, expecting it to fly off, but it didn't move. I got the paper and, this time, decided to walk right up to it, still expecting it to bolt. It never moved, still staring, almost unaware that I was right behind it.

It was a full grown bird and it was still alive...just almost in a trance like state. There were no nearby trees it could have fallen from and it stood like it was unhurt.

I got in my truck and backed past it. It stayed, staring. When I came home that evening it was gone. Damndest thing.
Phil Garner
quote:
I was in Big Sandy on my annual summer trip my grandparents when they had the massive manhunt for Jerry McFadden. My grandad was in Houston for a livestock function, and my grandmother had all the grandkids. We weren't allowed outside, and my grandmother kept the doors locked (very odd at the time). Every 5-6 hours assorted law enforcement would come by to check on us, and ask to check the assorted barns. My granddad dropped off the gooseneck up by the high school. Not 10 minutes later it was announced they found McFadden in an abandoned house right next to where he dropped the trailer.

Outdoors, granddad was a long time Ag teacher and had the first meats lab in the state.

I was at my grandmother's, in Big Sandy, at the same time. My sister and mom were there too. Locked in the house with the news channels on all day.

We were recounting the story about "The Animal" to my wife the other day.
ursusguy
AG
What part of town yall in?
Phil Garner
Oh man, not sure of street names or directions. If you come to the "T" where the main road the HS is on hits the road that passes the cemetary, she lived in the neighborhood on the top of that hill on the opposited side of the cemetery road from the HS.

I hope that makes sense. I will try to find the road name.

Hamill Blvd. a few houses down on the left.

Your folks?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
This thread is great, just read the whole thing.

Mine isn't too creepy, just startled the hell out of me.

I was about 7 or 8, it was the first trip my dad took me on with him and his buddies. We were camping and fishing the Rio Grande on the Cinco De Mayo Ranch close to Langtry. We had been there a few nights and caught a ton of cats on jugs.

It was our last night there and I went to bed way early while my dad and all the other men sat around the fire and drank beer. After they had gotten saused to the gills they went to sleep.

I remember waking up and being thirsty as hell, so I hopped off the cot I was sleeping on and walked thru camp in the dark to my dad's pickup where we had a cooler full of drinks. I got about ten feet away from the pickup and froze in my tracks. There was a mexican guy, a woman, and a couple kids standing by the back of the truck. I turned around and went burning ass back to my dad who was out. I woke him up and made him go back over there but the people were gone by then.

My dad didn't believe me until i found a part of the zocalo by his truck the next morning. Looking back, I'm fairly sure it was just some wets refilling their canteens with some cold, clean water, but it sure did scare the hell out of me at the time.
stbabs
AG
Squirrel attack
Years ago, I'm maybe 10; my cousin and I get up before dawn, grab our BB guns and strike out to shoot some birds on my Grandma's farm in ETex. Cold morning, we walk around a while, no birds moving so we head back to Grandma's house for breakfast.
We're walking along a fence row, sun is now out and warming up the cold morning. We walk under a low hanging limb of a big pine on the fence row. We don't see him and apparently he didn't see or hear us, but this big boar fox squirrel is apparently dozing, warming up in the sun after a cold night.
Just as I walk under the limb the squirrel is startled awake and jumps off the limb; right on top of my head! His hind legs go down my neck and he's temporarily hung up in my jacket while his front feet are clawing like crazy on my forehead trying to get traction to free his hind legs from the collar of my jacket.
Of course, he's on my head and I have no idea what kind of critter has attacked me. I just know that something is scratching hell outta my forehead and back of my neck.
The attack probably lasted 2 seconds max before he got free and ran to the next tree. Seemed like hours!
Apache
AG
I was deer hunting near Carrizo in the late 80's. It was during the peak of the rut & I managed to shoot a nice 10pt near the end of our stay on the lease. I went out again the next morning & climbed up into a tripod overlooking one of the few tanks on the place. This tank had an island in the middle of it about 500 s.f. in size covered in brush & we called the tank "Loma Dinero". Not sure where that came from, don't really think it was a Money Hill. Anyway, I didn't have a ton of motivation since I couldn't shoot another buck, and it was a rather a slow morning so I drifted off into sleep to the sounds of nature.

How long I dozed I have no idea, but I woke up in a hell of a hurry. A gigantic splash in the water near my blind took me from peaceful REM to WTF in the blink of an eye. Not 30 yards from my stand I saw a young 8 pt. whitetail staring off into the water at a doe swimming like hell away from him. Apparently that gal had so much of of Jr.'s bs that she was willing to swan dive into the tank & paddle her way to freedom on the Loma Dinero island. Young buck stood there and paced around the tank for 45 minutes until the rumble of my Dad's truck scared him off. The doe stayed put on the island.

Thought about changing the name of the tank to "Doe Convent" but it didn't flow off the tongue like Loma Dinero.
GoneGirl
AG
This happened outdoors - camping at Buescher park.

We always get this one multi campground that is up on a hill. Bathrooms are nearby at the bottom of the hill.

We're all drinking around the campfire about 10 pm when I have to go to the bathroom. Since I'm a girl and I can't go by myself, and I'm scared of State park bathrooms (watched too many 80's horror movies), my friend goes with me. This particular bathroom's pipes sound like a chainsaw every time you flush. Creepy!

We stagger down the hill to the bathrooms. The music should have been the first clue, but we live in a soundtrack world, so I only vaguely noticed the Sarah McLaughlin music coming from the bathroom. I open the door and DO notice that all the overhead lights are out, and there is a bunch of candles burning on the half wall of the shower. Thinking I'm going to witness a satanic ritual, I panic, but not before seeing the two lesbians (complete with dreadlocks) making out in the shower. I turn to run, but my friend is right behind me asking me where the light switch is.... I almost ran her down trying to get out. Her boyfriend comes down the hill and asks what's wrong. We're freaking out. He's game to go check them out, but we make him guard the door to the men's room so we can pee in there.

Couple hours later as we're getting ready to sleep, we can hear bongo drums from another campsite. In my drunken state, I get convinced that they know we've seen them, so they're coming to attack.

To this day, I still hate restrooms in state parks. I'll pee in the bushes first.
BrownDeerAggie
AG
Back in 2004, I killed a 300 lb boar hog from my deer stand near Normangee around 8 AM. I've killed many pigs through the years, but never one that big. I didn't want to butcher one that big as those really large boars tend to be a little too strong for my tastes. Also, I didn't want to leave it there to stink after the buzzards got through with it. So, about 10 AM when I left the stand, I went and got my truck and hauled it across the ranch. It was too heavy to drag into the bed of the truck by myself, so I pulled the truck between the pig and a tree. Tied a rope to the pig and dropped the tailgate. Backed up with the rope over the cab and the pig slid into the bed of the truck. I dropped it off in a secluded area on the way back to the house. Since the boar was so big, my Dad wanted to see it. It was about 3 PM when I took him to the spot. There was not a trace of the big boar to be found but all the grass, etc. was gone for about a ten foot diameter circle. There is no doubt that it was dead. It had already stiffened up when I pushed it out the back of the truck. No one had seen where I put it and there weren't any tire tracks other than mine. No one could have carried it out. Only thing we can figure is maybe a group of pigs found it, but you would think there would be a large bone, or blood or something left. The ground was not torn up, just the grass was gone around the spot. I'll be happy to entertain any ideas (aliens, space or otherwise, have been ruled out!).
ursusguy
AG
Phil-hi cus....I say that half kidding, I do have a relative of some fogotten connection that lives on that street. We are about 1/4 mile away on the other side of 155.

State park bathrooms make great offices.
moses1084ever
AG
Mine happened at home.

My wife and I live in a fairly old 2 stores shophouse in Singapore. Not sure exactly how old it is but it's definitely pre-war.

Wife and I both wake up to really loud music start playing downstairs. Immediately the adrenaline starts pumping. I call out but there's no reaction. Finally, my wife and I both go downstairs and the music is coming from my laptop. I look around and see the time on the cable box.

I said out loud "No f***ng way". It was 3:33am on the dot.

Come to find out, windows did an automatic update and the computer restart. Freaked me out at the time.
Spotted Ag
AG
OK, so this doesn't really compare to some of these situations but here goes. I was 17 and it was deer season. My cousin and I had a lease in McGregor which was about an hour drive from my house. He had something going on that weekend and I wanted to hunt, so I went alone. Got up early and left for the lease on a Saturday morning. The drive wasn't bad because I was looking forward to the hunt and I was 17 and "out on my own". I got there around 5 AM and started making my way to stand. My stand was a homemade tripod type stand that sat 15-18 ft up in the air. It had a guard rail around the swiveling chair but no wall of any type. Pretty much it was a chair on 3 poles with a small amount of floor to stand on if need be.

I got situated and started scanning my surroundings. The weather was mild and clear. The sun worked it's way over the horizon. I felt a light cool breeze from behind me so I swiveled my chair in that direction and I saw the damnedest things I'd ever seen. A huge bank of fog or clouds or something was headed directly for me. I watched it as it inched closer and closer all the while enveloping everything it in it's path. I was sure it was just fog but it still made a 17 yr old Spot feel a bit uneasy, being alone and all. Well, the bank of whatever it was was just about to reach my stand when I started hearing this god awful screeching/screaming sounds coming from the **** headed right for me. SCARED. THE. ***** OUT. OF. ME. I'm 15ft in the air with a 30.06, 9mm, and knives and I'm damn sure not about to abandon my stand with that screaming going on. The fog/clouds reaches my stand and it some dense ***** Couldn't even see the ground but the screeching/screaming continues and it seems to be coming from all directions. I'm in hyper vigilance mode and frankly just about scared ****less. Then the wind picked up and started blowing about 20mph. That in and of itself will pucker your sphincter when your 15ft in the air...add in the other stuff going on and I seriously was wondering if I would make it home. Then silence. No wind. No more screeching/screaming. NOTHING, and it happened instantly. I'm still surrounded by the super thick fog or clouds or whatever it was but the only thing I could hear was myself breathing. Let me tell you, when you alone and can't see the ground or trees or the sky and it's silent and you don't know WTF is going on it got lonely real damn fast. The silence prolly 10 min but it seemed like 2 hrs. I can't say for certain because my digital watch went blank when fog got to me and then it magically started working again after the fog passed. Finally it gets to where I can see my surroundings again and I shagged ass back home.

I've never felt so alone as I felt in that stand in the middle of whatever the hell washed over me that morning.
Dr. Faustus
AG
bookmarked.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
That's ****ed up..
F Troop91
TechnoAG/BigCountryAG

They did catch the guy from lick creek park. I remember Director Wiatt saying it was the most satisfying execution he witnessed.
FishrCoAg
Colt98
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Anyone got any stories to add?
Brahma
I've got one.

This took place probably about 7-8 years ago on our family land near Hallettsville.

My brother and I are trouncing around back near a really thick patch of woods on the property we like to call the Tarzan woods. It's super thick and has vines and roots going from the ground all the way to the trees.

Anyways I've got my AR strapped to me and a pistol and I think my brother was carrying my old mosin. Well we are walking fairly close together but I'm walking slightly ahead of him. All of a sudden I hear something hit a tree in front of me and fall on the ground in the dry crunchy leaves. I paused for a second and the figured it was nothing. We keep walking and I hear the noise again but this time I'm closer to the tree. I turn around and tell my brother to stop messing around thinking it was him messing with me. He says he's not doing anything.

We get up to the tree and I see two rocks probably the size of a large fist laying at the base of the tree in the dry leaves. The strange part is the rocks were found on the side of the tree and not from the direction we were coming from. My brother and I look at each other like WTF and I'm still convinced it was him messing with me. He swears to this day he didn't throw the rocks.

The odd part to me was if it was someone other than my brother messing with us, why would any sane person start chunking rocks at two guys carrying rifles. We didn't hear any noises or any movement in the brush and nothing like this has ever happened to us again on the property. Just something that has always left us scratching our heads.
Post removed:
by user
IDAGG
AG
Rendered Fat said:

Niteside's story was awesome. Completely FOS, but still awesome.
Yeah obvious tall tale, but entertaining nonetheless.
nealan
Why can't I find Beer Leg's story???
cuz-i-can
AG
Nice bump
Funky Winkerbean
AG
You assumed it was the rocks, but it could've been branches falling that you didn't notice.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Madman
AG
NM
Breggy Popup
AG
nealan said:

Why can't I find Beer Leg's story???

Because he is Yelnick McWawa now and was telling NITESIDE's story.
nealan
Thanks! That was driving me nuts!
SteveBott
AG
Nightside and FosselAg were legendary on AO in those days. While I'm as sceptic as y'all he had a great rep. I won't completely discount his story. Not sure he is with us on earth any longer.
SteveBott
AG
This is the thread Niteside posted on. It is geared to paranormal stuff. It's AO and need a tag and star. One of the best threads ever started on AO. 30 pages

https://texags.com/forums/27/topics/1591905

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.