Outdoors
Sponsored by

Guidance registering a horse trailer

11,240 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Max06
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought an old WW horse trailer in December. Received bill of sale. Seller did not have registration as tag was still valid when he purchased. Tag will be expired at the end of this month. What's the best option for me to get a tag for this thing? I don't have an Ag Exempt #.
CrossBowAg99
AG
Go to county tax office and register as homemade trailer
CrossBowAg99
AG
http://txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers
CanyonAg77
AG
If it's for a pleasure horse, you're not going to register it as a farm trailer. So no Ag numner needed.

And not all horse trailers need a title. Kind of a weird deal, but daughter ran into this when she bought a trailer in CO and later registered in Texas.
will.mcg
AG
CanyonAg please expand. Apparently in this county if registering as homemade I have to har it inspected & get it titles whih will be a pain. Yes, pleasure /hobby horse in my case.
SWCBonfire
AG
quote:
And not all horse trailers need a title.

I think (but am not certain) that is only for farm trailers under 3500 lbs gross vehicle weight... and then they don't even need a licence plate.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
CanyonAg please expand

It's not a farm trailer.
So you cannot register it as such.
Therefore, a farm sales tax exempt number is not needed to register.

As far as the title, I couldn't recall the details, but it is very clearly laid out in the link that CrossbowAg posted.
quote:
Registration is required for all non-farm trailers operating on public highways. Registration and titling requirements vary according to trailer type and weight. Most utility trailers fall into two categories: Manufactured (built by a trailer manufacturer) or homemade (built by an individual in their garage or shop). In addition, trailers are categorized by gross weights (the trailer weight plus the weight it can carry) under and over 4,000 lbs...

If your manufactured trailer's gross weight exceeds 4,000 lbs., it must be titled.

So if the trailer is rated at 4000 pounds or less GVW, it doesn't need a title.
Max06
AG
Take bill of sale + existing plate # to your tax office. They'll do the rest. It really is that simple.
will.mcg
AG
Max06: even if the current registration is not in my name? If so, that's super great.
Max06
AG
That's what the bill of sale is for.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.