Outdoors
Sponsored by

Backyard swing set

27,077 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Cannew
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just disassembled ours to move it to a different part of the yard. Mid-way through reassembly it is very clear to me why most people don't want to mess with building or assembly themselves.
MouthBQ98
AG
I suppose. My parents have one. My grandpa built it probably 25 years ago, and I used a tractor with boom to move it from their place to my parent's backyard. Makes it a lot easier to move it all in one piece.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
The one my dad built for us nearly 30 years ago still stands in their back yard.

He sunk 4 4x4 landscaping timbers a couple feet down into concrete probably 30" wide and 10' long. He then dado'd in 2x6x10's on either side and built a platform of 2x4's across the top. Then he put 2 more 2x6's as t's and hung swings, tire swing, rings, and trapeze bar on the arms and a slide off one end. He used lengths of 1/2" steel pipe for the ladder and set those into the 4x4s.
BTHOthatguy
AG
Pea gravel instead of mulch.

Building one yourself out of treated lumber is going to last a lot longer but it is a big project. Especially because they tend to grow and get more complicated.
Josepi
AG
Anyone have a recommendation for a sealer/protective coat I can put on it?

Also, would you put the sealer on before you assemble the thing ( while the boards are all laid out in the driveway) , or once it is all put together?
Post removed:
by user
Texas 1836
AG
This Rainbow is free.

It shows in FLower Mound, but is listed on craigslist in deep east texas

http://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/bab/4362437982.html

Post removed:
by user
RK
AG
quote:
Anyone have a recommendation for a sealer/protective coat I can put on it?

Also, would you put the sealer on before you assemble the thing ( while the boards are all laid out in the driveway) , or once it is all put together?

I'm currently wrestling with your 2nd question. Mine is still mostly disassembled and I can't decide to power wash and stain the parts or the whole.
RK
AG
I will say it appears the previous installers (I inherited this at our new house) stained post-assembly.
phoenix491
AG
quote:
If someone is close that looks like a no brainer.

Just sent him an email to inquire ... If he's truly in Flower Mound, that sucker is mine. MINE.
Cannew
AG
Phoenix,

He hasn't responded to be I sent him an email Sunday...maybe you have better luck.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.