Outdoors
Sponsored by

Backyard swing set

27,076 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Cannew
Josepi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not the typical outdoor board question, but I consider this board to have the most common sense.

My oldest kid is 4, and I have another two approaching 1, so the time has come to put a swing set in the backyard. I've looked at some of the national brands such as the Rainbow, Tree Frogs, etc... and there is no way I am going to spend 3-4k on this. I really want to spend less than 1k if I can. I've searched Craigslist a couple of times, and while there are a ton of junky, half broken sets available, there aren't many in my area that look to be in good shape. I've also thought about the blue prints where it gives you the shopping list, you go to Lowes/HD, buy your own supplies and build it yourself. I'm moderately handy, but I'm not sure it's worth it over paying someone $200 to assemble it for me, and know it's done right.

Any advice from any dads who have gone through this. Any quality sets that wont break the bank? (At this point in time I wouldn't know a quality set from a piece of crap set). Anyone build your own from a set of blueprints, or plans? Was it worth it? Or should I just keep searching Craigslist for a good set?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
lexofer
AG
I'd just keep searching Craigslist for a while. A lot of playsets are way overbuilt and people will practically give them away to get them out of their yard once the kids don't use them anymore.
schmellba99
AG
I bought one that is a Rainbow knockoff from Sam's. Online only had a $200 discount that brought the price down to under a grand, free delivery.

Unfortunately it has rained at least 2 days every week since I bought it, and as a result i cannot get sand delivered to my casa to use as the base (I'm building up the base with 3" of sand and 2-3" of mulch on top to keep the area from becoming a mud pit, and to make life easier with yard work), so I've not been able to even begin to assemble it.

Since a couple of my other projects are finished, I'll probably start assembling sections of it so that the actual final assembly is theoretically easier. We'll see how that theory goes, but my FIL told me to prepare to lose what little religion you may have when putting one of these together.

I wanted to do the Craigslist thing, but the wife put the kibosh on that and it just wasn't worth the argument.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/highlander-deluxe-cedar-play-set-with-slide/prod1040383.ip?navAction=
AginKaty04
I faced the same dilemma 3 years ago and we bought one from Sam's. For a fraction of the price the quality was more than acceptable. I just couldn't get my mind around spending $4k on something that would get destroyed by weather, kids, yard guys, etc. I want to say ours cost around a grand and I assembled it myself. For me, that was half the fun. Just get someone to help, 3-4 extra batteries for your drill and some beer.

3 years later it's still very much so in good shape and I did not seal it. There are some fairly elaborate kits on their website in the $1200 range.
AginKaty04
Ironic schmellba, that's the exact same one we bought. I did not prep the base. Just plopped it on top of the St. Augustine and anchored it. I later filled in the the opening underneath (under the picnic table) with mulch. Looks great.
schmellba99
AG
I am very happy to hear your report on the longevity. I was kind of worried about that, even with the reviews being fairly positive.

This thing needs to last me about 7-9 years. I am hoping with a little bit of maintenance and no hurricanes, that will be the case.
Josepi
AG
The quality on the Sam's set was decent? I don't mind slapping some sealant on the thing once a year, but I definitely will want/need it to last for 6-7 years.
AginKaty04
Quality is good. Closer to the high-end sets than the Wal-Mart $250 sets and I can't stand cheap crap.

It's cedar and the wood is soft. If I would do anything differently I would put some plating around the bases where the weedeater hits it. After 3 years it's started to eat away at it. But that's mostly my laziness for having not done that yet.

In terms of value, it's not even close IMO.
fcag
AG
I also went with the one posted by schmellba. I had the area leveled and then put down about 3-4" of rubber mulch. Then two of us built the whole set in a single day. It helped to have everything sorted out by letter code for quick access. Using a couple cordless impact drivers also made things go quickly.

It's been up for 2 years now and the kids still climb all over it. I pulled down the little kid swing recently and replaced it with rings.

Whitetail
AG
We have this one:

http://www.costco.com/Lifetime%c2%ae-Play-Center-Playset-Bundle---Do-It-Yourself.product.11610679.html

It is a diy that is a little over your budget. However, its all durable materials and will last way longer than the wood types. My kids love it.
schmellba99
AG
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the rubber mulch and how much did you pay for it?

I got a couple of quotes from some online places, and it seems to be insanely high. I can buy a whole lot of regular redwood mulch for the same price, and even if it's not quite as good - hell, kids need to learn not to fall (or something like that).

What are the dimensions of your area? Right now I'm thinking 24x22 for mine, but the drawings you can get online are hard as hell to read on actual dimensions of the play set.
Cannew
AG
Now I can't decide. I am going to put one of these up for my daughter. I had originally planned on going with the Costco Steel set but i can't resist a bargain. My only hang up is I am like a big kid and like to play too, so I hope the wooden one is sturdy enough for my 5'7 165 lb frame. Also FCAG you did a very nice job on the install that looks great.
AginKaty04
I'm 6' 200lbs and I haven't managed to break mine yet other than knocking a few lattices off while trying to bean my kid with a football.
Post removed:
by user
fcag
AG
I'll have to go back and check. I contracted out the leveling and mulch work. I think the area was was about 25'x25' triangle.
BusterAg
AG
I went total DIY, buying the slide/swings etc from Home Depot, but doing all of the planning / work myself. I used 2x4, deck boards, etc. Spent well over $1k when I was done.

The good news is that I wound up with a set that will probably last until my grandkids are ready to use it. Unfortunately, it resides in the back yard of a house I no longer own.

If I had to do it again, I would probably buy one of the ready-made sets from Sams.
Chazz03
AG
My boys have outgrown the one we purchased from toys r us 3 years ago. Looking at probally selling it soon .
TheAccidentalAg
AG
With a 4yo and a 2yo, I've been struggling with this for a long time.

I've come really close to buying a Sam's set, but since I already have a good steel swingset, I think I'm going to build it myself. I want one with different levels, multiple slides, etc. Those are always $4000+ and I'm not about to drop that kind of cash.

I'm figuring about $700 for materials and maybe the same for play items (toob slides are $$$$). I have most of the tools, but the hard part is going to be the time. Spent saturday relocating bushes and leveling ground. Probably start the project in the next week or 2. With the time change, that should be easier.

The pics in the fire pit thread inspired me, as did the guys pics at....http://www.howdididoit.com/kids-and-parenting/build-a-backyard-play-structure/
Birddog 99
AG
Got ours at Academy about 4 years ago and paid around $350, only issue is lab chewed up one of the swings. Glad I didn't drop $3k on one.
Animal
AG
If you know anyone at a pool company or can make friends with someone there it is a great way to find a nice used one. Very common to keep one sitting around un-used until time to put in the pool, then it has to go. This is how I found mine and it worked out great.

Remember, even if it is old and grey looking, as long as it is solid, the appearance can easily be brought back.
Post removed:
by user
Grosvenor
AG
We bought one at sams two years ago. I think its the sky fort or something like that. I paid a guy $400 to assemble it and it was worth every penny. Time is money and it was a 30 man hour job. This guy had assembled this same set several times and it still took him two full days. Its still in pretty good shape. I live right on the bay, so i sprayed all the metal with clear rustoleum. I also spray it once a year with a sealant.
hunnfishnick
If someone know a place that has one with install and all for $1000 let me know or post a link please.
MouthBQ98
AG
My parents bought lumber and built a 10x10 foot platform on some 6x6 posts about 8 feet up, built stairs to it, a 36 inch railing around it with a slat shade roof above it. off that, they ran a couple of beams in a long L shape with 6x6 posts at the bend and the end of the L and hung a tire swing and three board swings off of eyebolts. We used that thing for a good 12 years or so.

Imagine a large deer stand with a full size public playground scale swingset coming off the side.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 3/13/2014 4:04p).]
FIDO 96
AG
I've bought two sets now. We got the first when my oldest turned 2. We got a demo from Rainbow. Paid about $1600, including delivery and set-up. We sold it on Craigslist for $1000 five years later when we moved. We promised our boys a new one when we got to the new house. This time we did go bigger, but it's used most every day by both boys and their friends. This one cost $5000, and I'm sure I can sell it for $2000 in the future. I've re-stained it last summer and I'm sure it will last until my boys move on to other things. I'll gladly spend $3000 over 6-8 years. FWIW, my parents got the Sam's Club version and after 2 years it's wobbly and a pos. You usually get what you pay for.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Bought one from Lowes last year and set it up with help from my dad over a weekend (Sat/Sun).

So far so good. Thinking about blocking it off and putting down the chips as some have also done. Seems to be holding fine.

Plan on sealing it this year, but the boys love it so far.

Complaint Investigator
AG
My daughter "needs" one of the fancy double decker Tree Frog versions. I can see myself...I mean..I can see her using it a lot.
MisterShipWreck
We got one at academy three and a half years ago. It is at my parents house. My son still plays on it. I do not see them forsale outside at our local academy anymore unfortunately...

Visit: Texas Gun Forum!!!! http://texasgunforum.com
86cwk
Steal one from a day care
BreNayPop
AG
Because of this thread, I have been roped into one of the costco versions. Will let you know how it works out and post here
fcag
AG
quote:
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the rubber mulch and how much did you pay for it?

Just now back at my computer.

I went back and looked and couldn't find the brand I actually went with. There are a few places to buy it in bulk. I think generally it was about $500 / 40cuft plus delivery, and discounts for buying more. Here's one of the places...

http://www.groundsmartrubbermulch.com/buy-rubber-mulch-online/buy-cedar-red-rubber-mulch-bulk/

38.5 cu ft Super Sack (approximately 1,000 lbs.) $499.99
76.9 cu ft Super Sack (approximately 2,000 lbs.) $799.99
98 x 0.8 cu ft bags (approximately 1,960 lbs.) $849.99
MouthBQ98
AG
I don't get my people buy them, when it doesn't take but the simplest of carpentry skills to build one any size or shape you need in a weekend or two. It's the same skillset you need to build a wood fence.
Whitetail
AG
Because their name is not Manuel Laber.
MouthBQ98
AG
I guess not, but building it is most of the fun for the adults. You can be creative and also customize it. I'd find building a treehouse or fort or playhouse and swingset an enjoyable thing.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Found this on Craigslist and paid $1500.
Getting it back to College Station from past Baytown was interesting. Rainbow.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.