Outdoors
Sponsored by

2" schedule 40 PVC pipe

16,873 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by AgySkeet06
Somebodysteponaduck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need about 4400 ft of pipe for a waterline. Any suggestions for bastrop county area or asstin?
greenman99
AG
You can try Ewing or horizon they will both have it. I would also check the pro desk at Home Depot. Have all three give you a price.
Post removed:
by user
OlRock
AG
Ferguson
Apache
AG
Call mike at metro irrigation in Austin.
Best prices in town and a great guy.
schmellba99
AG
That is a lot of lineal feet for a 2" line.

Ferguson, ACT, HD Supply, Ewing, McCoy's - hell, Lowes and Home Depot will have sch 40 pipe. Maybe not in that quantity in store, but they can get it easy enough.
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
Polypropylene comes in 2".

Problem with poly is that it is a much thinner wall and is far more prone to tensile failure if you don't bed the full run in bank sand to mitigate soil movement.

HDPE might be another option, but it is not nearly as available as sched 40 pvc, and you need a fusing machine to weld it. But it is a much stronger and more flexible conduit than PVC, and is a lot better with exposure to sunlight than PVC is. It comes in rolls as well - in 2", probably 500' rolls, maybe 1000'.
Peter Klaven
AG
An electrical supplier might be worth a shot as well. You could try Summit Electric, I know free delivery is included in the electrical industry.
Pierce County Ag
AG
PVC leaches cancer causing chemicals into your water. HDPE is a better option. 4,400' of 2" isn't gonna have much flow by the time it reaches your property (due to head loss). I'd go 6" min., IMO...then add a reducer.

[This message has been edited by Pierce County Ag (edited 11/21/2013 10:53p).]
TX AG 88
AG
quote:
Somebodysteponaduck

niiiice! you get a free bowl of soup with that handle?!
TX AG 88
AG
quote:
4,400' of 2" isn't gonna have much flow by the time it reaches your property (due to head loss). I'd go 6" min., IMO...then add a reducer.

depends on the topology, doesn't it? if it's downhill from the supply source, not as much of an issue.
Biz
AG
quote:
4,400' of 2" isn't gonna have much flow by the time it reaches your property (due to head loss). I'd go 6" min., IMO...then add a reducer.

quote:
depends on the topology, doesn't it? if it's downhill from the supply source, not as much of an issue.

Right, there are several factors that affect flow including topography and beginning pressure. If it's just for residential or livestock use 2" PE pipe can supply plenty of water, depending on those unknown factors. How many gallons per minute is needed at the end? I assume/hope he's done the math and just needs a supply. However, it seems to me one of the two (PVC or PE) is based on outside diameter and the other on inside diameter, so that could be a factor to consider when you say 2".
Pierce County Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

4,400' is a long way to run spaghetti line. Let me know how that works out for ya...

[This message has been edited by Pierce County Ag (edited 11/22/2013 12:43a).]
Deerdude
Unless you are putting a car wash at the other end, pressure is usually not a big issue with livestock or wildlife water. Even a house doesn't need too much pressure. I ran 2" and have 20 psi at 2 1/2" miles from a 3/4 hp well pump.
pellerind
AG
Jason at Williams supply should be able to help you. 210-566-3044.
SWCBonfire
AG
Ferguson or similar might get a decent price... if you have a tax exemption, try GA Powers in between San Marcos & Geronimo. They may be worth the drive.

The only chemical problems I'm aware of form from water that stagnates. Water systems with only a few users on a line generally have to flush the lines out on a frequent basis for this reason

Gophers like PE pipe in my experience. I wouldn't recommend.

Why don't you tell us what you are trying to do?
sunchaser
AG
You would lose around #5 pushing 250 BWPD thru 2" in 4,400'
Complaint Investigator
AG
I like how the dude asks where to get it, and people start chiming in with how its not what he needs.
schmellba99
AG
You must be new here, chick06
SD_71
AG
Part of the beauty of this board!! Learn more than you had planned on. Many very knowledgeable folks hang out over here!!
Somebodysteponaduck
Thanks for all the replies.
More info and y'all can help me out:

I finally paid for our local public water supply to put me in a water meter. I've been wanting to get off of our water well due to methane in the water. Not dangerous levels. I also have a pretty shallow well.
Anyways, it is 4400 ft from my meter to my house. Flat terrain. Sandy loam all the way and gophers out the azz. The guy with the water supply company said he would use 2 inch. THat's all I got.

[This message has been edited by Somebodysteponaduck (edited 11/22/2013 3:20p).]
Post removed:
by user
HERKIMER80
AG
.48/FT
2" PVC
Biz
AG
Right, like the PE pipe and gophers. I like the ease of rolling out PE but haven't dealt with gophers. Disaster avoided.

I did quick math and assuming completely level terrain and 40 psi at the meter, 4400 ft of 2" Sch. 40 PVC would be able to flow over 30 gpm at 38 psi (Not a guarantee). Assuming the water meter allows that much. More than plenty for a residence, unless you want to irrigate a couple acre lawn. Even then you just have to irrigate in sections.

SD_71
AG
In all honesty 2" will most likely get it done. You could put a pressure booster pump right outside your house to get "city" water pressure in the house. You also could put in a storage tank and fill it out of the 2" line and use you pressure booster pump for you total water system at your house. Depending on line size and pressure in front of your meter will also have an effect on what you get out of your line.
sunchaser
AG
Biz...that doesn't sound right to me...If you are pushing 30GPM or 1300 BWPD you are going to have a pressure drop of 75psi.....can't do it with a pump pressure of 40psi.
txags92
AG
quote:
I did quick math and assuming completely level terrain and 40 psi at the meter, 4400 ft of 2" Sch. 40 PVC would be able to flow over 30 gpm at 38 psi (Not a guarantee). Assuming the water meter allows that much. More than plenty for a residence, unless you want to irrigate a couple acre lawn. Even then you just have to irrigate in sections.

Are you sure the 38 psi was the outlet pressure and not the pressure drop? I did the same calculation and got between 1 & 6 psi at the outlet depending on the velocity assumption.
txags92
AG
quote:
In all honesty 2" will most likely get it done. You could put a pressure booster pump right outside your house to get "city" water pressure in the house. You also could put in a storage tank and fill it out of the 2" line and use you pressure booster pump for you total water system at your house. Depending on line size and pressure in front of your meter will also have an effect on what you get out of your line.

^ This. I would either go with a bigger line or put a small tank at the house with a pump to boost the pressure.
Somebodysteponaduck
I'm so confused....,,,,
Biz
AG
Sorry for the confusion. The 38 psi was at 5 gpm, the maximum wide open flow was about 34 gpm. It's the whole volume vs pressure thing.
sunchaser
AG
It's 4400'/100 = 44....so if you want/need 8gpm with 2" pipe.... 0.1 X 44 = 4.4 psi loss.

Likewise at 30gpm.....1.7 X 44 = 75 psi loss

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-loss-plastic-pipes-d_404.html#.Uo_sNk3naUk

Biz
AG
That chart is based on head loss which is figured on feet of water for pressure. To convert head in feet to PSI multiply feet by 0.4335.

Look below that chart in your link and there is the conversion equation.

1 ft H2O = 0.3048 m H2O = 0.4335 psi = 62.43 lbs/ft2

So -75 feet * 0.4335 = -32.5 psi, or a loss of 32.5 psi. Conversely multiply psi by 2.31 to convert PSI to feet of head. 40 psi equals 92.4 feet of head.

Feel free to double check, I'm no engineer, but I did get several trainings and a handy spreadsheet that does the math for me. That was my secret I didn't want to divulge, a spreadsheet.
sunchaser
AG
Biz...you are correct. I grabbed the wrong cheat sheet.
Biz
AG
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with cheat sheets. My usual pipeline planning is for troughs or wildlife watering stations, so psi doesn't usually matter so long as the GPM checks out. On the other hand, both volume and pressure matter when it comes to taking a shower. Technically I've yet to have a pipeline installed that didn't have water come out the end.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.