Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tripod or legs for deer feeder

32,699 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by up-n-aTm
Marauder Blue 6
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a customer who's looking to put 3 deer feeders on his property. He has the feeders but no legs to put them on. Where is the best place to buy legs and brackets for a feeder? I have no clue. Surely the OB knows of something better than Academy or Bass Pro.
tx4guns
AG
I use the 2" cyclone fence tubing from Home Depot.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I've done legs through Lowes/HD. Have them cut gas line pipe to 8 ft. each. This pipe fits nicely with Moultrie leg brackets.
SA Ag 91
AG
Not sure what his budget is but if possible I would strongly suggest buying the bracket with the pulley that goes above the feeder to make it a winch up version.

I especially recommend this if he thinks he will ever be out filling feeders alone.

WELL worth the money.
FSGuide
Sa Ag 91 has a great idea.

The place I hunt in Ozona had a few up on a legs/tripods when my friends bought the place. We bought one Hang 'Em High feeder and put out there and it is so much easier to fill because you can winch it down and sit it right on the ground.
bushman
AG
I have posted the plans in the past, but we build our own winch up feeders at a fraction of the price than store bought, and they are tough as nails.
Harman Rabb Jr.
Ultramatic
Shilo
AG
I go to our local electrical contractors shop and pick up scrap pieces of conduit.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Bushman,

I would love to see those plans if you don't mind. After this season I a, going to be in the market for two new feeders.
bushman
AG
I'll try and post them this evening, they are on my home computer.
WC87
AG
http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/34/Topics/2101285

Bushman, your plans?

[This message has been edited by WC87 (edited 8/21/2013 10:12a).]
shalackin
AG
They are very easy to build. I bought the top piece and hanger from bossbuck.com. The crank came from harbor freight or tractor supply. The legs I bought from an oil field pipe yard. Much sturdier and taller than stuff from home depot.

bushman
AG
Thanks, WC.
FSGuide
I forgot to add.....

The one thing that really stands out to me about the Hang 'em High feeders is that the lid stays put up top. When you winch the barrel up after filling it, the top of the barrel slides into the lid. So you have no lid to fight with taking it off or putting it on. It would be easy to replicate for anyone with basic welding skills.
perdue1
Hi shalackin,

I know this is an old post, but hope you see this and are able to reply. Can you tell me the length and outside diameter is of the pipe you used?

Thanks
jrbaggie
I bet that fence works well to keep the hogs away from your feeder
BigPuma
AG
If he used that piece from boss buck, no more than 1 5/8" width for the legs.

boss buck recommends 14'
BlueSmoke
Have a couple of the "Hang 'em High" feeders. My favorites of the bunch. So much easier than having to lug around and climb up and down ladders and almost dying each year as wasps try to kill me! And they are very well made. Worth every penny.

http://hangemhighfeeders.com/
Nobody cares. Work Harder
up-n-aTm
AG
As I age and become lazier, I am moving to these. They beat the hell out of using a winch or ladder. The extra throw distance from the added height is not worth the extra effort of winching or climbing. Get a ground feeder like this with a 12 volt motor and it will throw feed as far as you need it to.

Todd 02
AG
How does that stand up to hogs?
up-n-aTm
AG
Have not had any hog problems...and we have a bunch of hogs. I don't actually have that model- mine are a bit taller than that. The wide footprint and the weight would make these very hard to tip over. I could see cattle getting to them possibly but we currently have 4-5 of these and have never and a critter problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.