Outdoors
Sponsored by

Woodworkers and others....double threaded wood screw

6,746 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by agslaw
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This may be an odd request. I have a woodworking project whose design would be greatly improved by the use of something like this.

Basically, imagine a rocking horse...with a handle that is nothing more than two halves glued into a recess to form what appears to be a continuous dowel or handle.

Now, the strength of this can be improved by threading a wood screw into one dowel and screwing it to the other...to effectively screw the two together.

Does anyone make anything like this? Im not looking for other ways to do it, just whether or not anyone knows or has seen a double threaded...say #8 screw. I guess one end would have to be reverse threaded.

Edit: lol...looks like what I need is a DOWEL SCREW....imagine that. Wonder if Home Depot has them?

[This message has been edited by BrazosDog02 (edited 12/5/2011 1:59p).]
swampstander
AG
I have seen them.

edit:
Just saw your edit..I am sure Home Depot or Lowes would have them.

[This message has been edited by swampstander (edited 12/5/2011 2:05p).]
Allen76
AG
quote:
I guess one end would have to be reverse threaded.

^^^I don't think so.

And yes, they sell double ended screws at places like Home Depot.
BrazosDog02
AG
Correct...they don't have to be reverse threaded.

Another handy brain fart.
TdoubleH
AG
try this website. just used some of these to install tree lights. not exactly what you are wanting but a good starting point.

http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=12146

MouthBQ98
AG
Fastenal or McMaster Carr might have it.

I've seen double screws at box hardware stores, too. Mostly they are like what is pasted above: One end pre-treaded for a permanent set, and the other self tapping wood screw.
Texas 1836
AG
lowes and home depot will both have this:

In fact here is a link to Lowes

http://www.lowes.com/pd_18755-37672-491442_?PL=1&productId=3202157
LGAggie
AG
how does one screw that in. I could do it with pliers but it might dick up the 2nd threads. Is that the "correct" tool to use?
Allen76
AG
Yes. Pliers wont mess up the threads bad enough to work on wood. But you can wrap the thread in a rag before you grab it with a pair of pliers.
BrazosDog02
AG
My handle will be secured with wood glue, but this will make squaring it easier and make the joint far stronger.

Yes, my kids are hard on equipment.
TdoubleH
AG
The machine thread/wood screw has a square head drive in the machine end. Worked quite well for what I needed but doesn't seem practical for wood to wood
agslaw
AG
we used to use those screws on stairs. Connecting rails to bannister posts. just thought you might like to know that they are strong.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.