Outdoors
Sponsored by

Surf fishing in Destin, FL

2,342 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Terk
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There was a thread up a couple months ago, and I said I would report my luck/lack thereof.

Went to the Bass Pro early afternoon and picked up the tackle to make 3 leaders, along with a package of frozen shrimp, and my 3-day fishing license. ($32 for all)

Fished for about 30 minutes this evening from the time the beach started really clearing out, until the time where I needed my head lamp to see my hooks, but it was still in the car. Caught 1 hard head. That was it.

Did see a few really immature bone fish earlier in the day while I was out in the water (6-10 inch range).

The closest sand bar to the beach house we're in was farther than I cared to walk/swim this evening. I might nut up and go for it tomorrow, we'll see.

I'll update before we had to Nawlins.

Gator2_01
AG
Go try either side of the pass. My buddy catches stuff there all the time. Just be ready to help the shark back in the water after you wear him out...

AG
Just got back from Grayton Beach, spent a week out there. We did "well" off the shoreline with shrimp on red flag days that helped push some of that crap June grass up. Wade past it and cast and catch!

Try the jetties as the tide is going out, everyone was doing VERY well the few times we went by (it started raining on our group when we tried to hit the jetties, go figure!)
Finn Maccumhail
AG
adpotts- I seriously doubt those were bonefish. They simply don't go that far north. Destin is even too far north for snook and bonefish are less tolerant than snook of cooler waters.

I didn't fish from the beach any when we were on Perdido Key a couple weeks ago but we fished near-shore in a boat and tore up the smacks & jacks. I saw a lot of bait up close to the beach too. Lot's of pilchards, juvenile pompano (like 5-6" long), blue runners, and pinfish. Even saw a decent size stingray that was probably 18" across swimming right up agains the shore in about 6" of water- he literally swam right in front of my face.
Terk
AG
Finn - I'm pretty sure that I reeled in a few 12" or less bonefish as well. Some of them had very distinct "tiger stripe" like coloring, which made me wonder if they were something else.

Finn Maccumhail
AG
Maybe they were bonefish. I've just never ever heard of bones remotely that far north. Though I can't think of what they might have been.
rather be fishing
AG
They sure looked like bone fish, but I'm thinking they may have been whiting, as we caught a 5 yesterday. I just know they were very similar in appearance to the bone fish we caught in T&C while looking at them in the water.

So on top of the 5 whiting caught yesterday, between myself and another guy here, we caught 7 pompano today, and I also caught 1 black drum.

All fish were pretty small, and all were biting on frozen shrimp. We tried mullet and squid as well, but didn't have any luck. we were both fishing with a 2 ft pre-rigged steel leader with 2 hooks and a 2oz pyramid weight. Most bites were coming on the lower hook. Plenty of fishing biting, missed a few. We were catching the pompano during the middle of the day.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I know I saw a lot of whiting in the surf, especially small ones.

This is a whiting:

This is a bonefish:
rather be fishing
AG
That whiting has a case of the browning. Fresh out of the water, they are silvery white.
Ramblin Rogue88
Ladyfish
Terk
AG
Yup - Bonefish is what I was reeling in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.