Outdoors
Sponsored by

Banded Birds

35,983 Views | 116 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by Nagler
Ric Flair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Again, I have no problem at all with shooting feral pigeons they're rats with wings. What rubs me the wrong way however is the thought process that shooting something whether it is a racing pigeon (not "racin" pigeons) or not, that someone has invested their ( see what I did there duman I used "their" to identify an individual, not "there" which would identify a location) time into as a joke, regardless of how much of their money is invested, the time invested is much greater.

"their" shouldn't be used for an individual. you should use his/her. their would be used if you were talking about more than one individual. just thought i'd help you out on your english lesson.

Agm2be
hahaa duman
wolfpack759
AG
Any relation?

wolfpack759
AG
How bout to "Thunderwing"?

wolfpack759
AG
Is this yo daddy?

Msgt USAF Ret
tpr, the farm/ranch where I hunt doves is about 1/8 mile from a cotton gin. Since late June they have also been processing milo and corn. There is always about 100 pidgeons around there this time of year. The flock is generally thinned out during dove season. They sometimes come to the tanks where I hunt and I often take 4-5 when I'm hunting and yes I can tell the difference between doves and pidgeons. What I cannnot tell the difference is if a pidgeon is a racing pidgeon or a Feral Rock Dove when in flight. If a racing pidgeon happened to attach itself to the gin's flock and this flock came over me when I am hunting I may harvest it. I'm absolutely sure that the OP would not intentionally harvested a racing pidgeon. I'll have to agree with others, dove season and pidgeon races don't make for a very happy ending sometimes.
Ag 11
AG
This thread is hilarious!
sunchaser
AG
I would suggest that the Pigeon Racer's Association use other training methods than Mojo's at the check in stops.

The good news is that texags dove hunters only average 2.7 doves per box.

[This message has been edited by sunchaser (edited 9/22/2010 7:36a).]
OnlyForNow
AG
I would NEVER return the body because if someone is that crazy and would spend a few thousand dollars on an effing pigeon then they might try to sue you with the carcass as evidence.

DUMAN, you let me know when the BBQ is and I'll bring the jalapenos and cream cheese.
EMY92
AG
Isn't one of the goals of pigeon racers to catch other racer's birds?

There is always a risk when setting the birds free to race and complaining about them not coming home and the price involved is like me complaining about the water hazzards eating $5 golf balls.
rilloaggie
AG
Pigeon racing during dove season is akin to me releasing my pet 12 point buck(209 of course) in Kerrville in November to play a fun game of hide and seek.

I have every right to do so but seriously, Lets use our big boy brains and think about the consequences.
DUman08
AG
I now will be watching for these racing pigeons all year just for you texaspigeonhomo. I will post every band that I kill and I hope one day I get to shoot one of your birds, but dont worry I will call you and let you know how it tasted!!!
Centerpole90
AG
The hell of it is Sunchaser, at 'Buy 1 Get 9 Free' prices - even we 2.7 bird per box guys can afford to shoot all day.
Jaycad
I think you are pretty damn stupid for shooting them! Give all of us bird hunters a bad name! I bet you shoot Hawks too don't you!!!
AgPT06
AG
Wow this lovely thread has brought out a lot of people I never knew came to this board. We needed this to kick off the slower fall season.
AgeofEase08
AG
is it just me, but i had no prior knowledge that this "sport" even existed. I mean, cmon seriously. Pigeon racing. I guess thats what super rich idiots do with their money.

Noticed a familiar name in this flyer for a new "race" Ken Jones

http://www.txcenter.org/clubnews/come_take_it.htm

Ken Jones
http://www.co.harris.tx.us/conpct3/
Jrod05
AG
how is shooting a pigeon equal shooting a hawk.... that is a stupid comparision.

It is legal to shoot pigeons...it is not mistaking a dove for a pigeon it is the fact that you can shoot pigeons. Called squab and tastes pretty good from what i hear.
texaspigeonracer
I've let enough of this crap go on. You are banned permanently.

TexAgs Staff

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 9/22/2010 10:54a).]
OlArmy_97
I cannot stop laughing at this thread!

Thank you. I need a good laugh this morning
TheGroupGuy
Oh My enjoy banned camp pigeon racer
aggiesq
AG
I have to add this before this thread gets deleted, thanks to pigenboy:

“If you love something set it free; if it returns its yours forever, if not it was probably shot by a dove hunter and it's your fault for setting it free during dove season."
- Proverb
trouble
AG
Do you kiss your momma with that mouth?

I need more coffee before reading stuff like that.
CDUB98
bushman
AG
How come every time a thread like this comes up, I am away from the computer???

Jaycad, you are an idiot, Ferrel Rock Doves (Pigeons) are legal animals to shoot, with no closed season. I shoot every one I can, because they are a bonus bird in the bag. Plus, they are larger than a dove and taste great. Comparing that to shooting a hawk is ridiculous, not even close.

One of my buddies shot one a few years ago, but was scarred to call the number. Seems like it had a note tied to it's leg, too.

btw, this thread rocks!
redeyefry
If someone is in to racing pigeons, that's great, but expecting someone else to tell the difference between a racing one and a feral one is dumb. Racing them during dove season is dumber.

Maybe they should adorn them in such a way that we hunters could tell the difference.

Such as this:

[This message has been edited by redeyefry (edited 9/22/2010 8:40a).]
Nestea07
AG
http://www.jonesfamilyloft.com/TIBC.html

Hmmm a 4 race series for a combined 925 miles during the months of September and October. Maybe they should rename it the Texas Lead Bird Classic.
redassag12
AG
redeyefry FTW

[This message has been edited by redassag12 (edited 9/22/2010 8:44a).]
Texas 1836
AG
texaspigeonracer, I want to thank you and your buddies for supplying me with such high quality training material for my dog.

If it wasn't for you, I might have to actually pay for training birds.

So keep up the good work!
carpe vinum
AG
They know it's dove season too.
quote:
Hi guys,9-20-10

Not a whole lot to report. I started them over again last week and all was going well until 40 miles. I only got 22 out of 49 home on the day, the rest came in the next day. Most of the birds I saw came from the west meaning they probably got with some other birds. Haven’t been able to do much with them due to rain and dove season. They all flew 45 minutes this evening while some stayed up as long as 1 hour and 20 minutes. We are going to get them out this week when ever possible between showers, we have a 40% chance of rain every day this week. If at all possible I would like to get them to the 100 by October 1st. Some of you have asked about when the money is due. Remember only the birds that go to the first race need to be paid for. Although there won’t be a much of a time frame between the 100 trainer and the 150, if you want to pay in full or part now you can. All birds must be paid for by shipping of the 150, no exceptions. We will keep you better posted from here on out.

Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:
Perch Fee ONLY $75/ Bird
Perch Fee must accompany birds upon arrival.

$425 pays your Entry Fee, Average Speed & Points System Activation

So you pay $500 a bird to risk your pigeons getting shot? Doesn't seems too bright to me.

edit....my math skills weren't too bright either...

[This message has been edited by Ol Jock 99 (edited 9/22/2010 10:56a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I bet you shoot Hawks too don't you!!!

Actually it's the pigeon racers who have been known to shoot hawks.

Hawks enjoy tasty racing pigeons, too, so the pigeon guy kill hawks and falcons to protect their birds.
Post removed:
by user
texaspigeonracer
what is so damn surprising about racing birds? They don't need someone to tell them what to do like a horse and they don't need something to chase like a dog. What other animal will cover 300 miles with no input from anyone?Pigeon racing is far superior to any other animal competition.
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
Pigeon racing is far superior to any other animal competition.

Gotta agree with you there. Nothing like watching the pigeons thundering around the track...

Well, at least you get to watch the whole race...

Okay, at least they are beautiful intelligent animals...

Wait,wait, I know! It's because pigeon racing is televised....

Okay, okay, I really have it this time!

It's because in pigeon racing....

...you can eat the losers.
35chililights
AG
Post of the Month

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.