Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best Caliber for Nilgai

47,681 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Log
RM76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is no "best" caliber or cartridge for any animal anywhere in the world. With an almost unlimited selection of calibers/cartridges and even more selections of bullets available, some choices may be better than others, but it really should come down to which caliber/cartridge/rifle combination one shoots best and is more confident in -- because it ultimately comes down mainly to shot placement. While some outfitters may require a minimum caliber for some game, a hunter should educate him/her-self to have a rifle in a manageable caliber with a barrel twist compatible for a specific bullet type that is appropriate for a particular game at a reasonable distance. When a hunter is confident enough in his gear to place a shot precisely, and has the right combination of components, the caliber or cartridge used is less important than these other factors. So choose a rifle that you can shoot well, and make sure the components (cartridge, barrel twist, bullet) are appropriate for that animal and distance of shot and any of several calibers should work equally well.
mts6175
AG
Used a 338 on mine last year, left an entry hole in the chest the size of a nickel and dropped him in his tracks at 180 yards. Your fine with it.
Monkeypoxfighter
Are they anatomically like lots of African species, with guts "shoved forward" so that a "behind the shoulder" shot is pretty much a gut shot? Lots of the animals I whacked over there were a low shoulder shot for heart and lungs.
Wodanaz
AG
Yeah I'm gonna bump that thread too
Log
AG
Yes.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.