Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best Caliber for Nilgai

47,671 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Log
Illustrious Potentate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What would you guys suggest for harvesting a nilgai? I normally deer hunt with a .270, and don't currently have a larger caliber than it.
FirefightAg
AG
I would sugest a .270
Marauder Blue 6
AG
I've seen them use .50 cal down near the King Ranch.
aggielostinETX
AG
I bet more Nilgai are killed in South Texas using a .223 than any other round.....
RhinoVic
As a rancher who has raised them and hunted them, I would suggest a .308 or .30-06, especially if you are getting into some big bulls (500 - 600 lbs +). They are some nasty beasties for sure. If you are a good shot, a .270 will do it, provided you hit the sweet spot, which in my mind if you aren't wall trophy hunting, is right in the head.

"Gentlemen, we have boat drinks."

RhinoVic
CO'89

[This message has been edited by RhinoVic (edited 7/27/2010 1:46p).]
Colonel A. 1976
AG
RhinoVac...got any that need to be harvested or know where to get one at a reasonable rate?

Thanks

Col. A 1976
Colonel A. 1976
AG
sorry about that ...meant Rhino Vic

(old Aggie fingers)
NW80
AG
I know a guy that used a 40 S&W!
roynonroy
.30-06 worked for me on a 550 lb. bull
Walter Kovacs
AG
i've priced a couple north of the valley (home sweet home) and more than one place require something in .30 range

[This message has been edited by Walter Kovacs (edited 7/27/2010 3:37p).]
jswags
AG
.300 WSM rolled mine
DVM97
AG
300 Ultra Mag.

DVM
penn02
AG
You can borrow my 7 mag as long as you give me some of the meat.
Illustrious Potentate
AG
I might have to take you up on that penn. If I get one it will feed The Rib and me for a while.

Of course I was hoping to use this as an excuse for a new rifle.
penn02
AG
might be a good excuse for a trip to Cabelas to spend them points
RhinoVic
Colonel, I have been out of the Nilgai business for some time. They are a pain in the a$$ to raise due to their bad temperament and willingness to kill other species in the same pasture. Typically, you have to dart them and saw their horns off at 16 months if you plan on keeping them in smaller pastures (100-200 acres) with other species. If you don't, sell em or harvest em. I know folks who raise them and can inquire about cropping fees. My ranch is 20 miles southwest of Austin in Driftwood. We raise super exotics (Scimitar, Gemsbok, etc) and some more common like Blackbuck, Mouflon, and occasionally Zebra. I love Zebras, but I hate their temperament too. They would just rather kill you than have to look at you. If I get a bite on the Nilgai, I'll post out on the board. Good Day Sir!

RhinoVic
CO'89
Glassjaw
I've seen one big bull Nilgai killed, and it shot 4 times with a 30'06 (right behind shoulder) before it finally gave up the ghost. My brother killed one with a .375 H&H and that seemd to work much better. If I had one readily available I would prefer to use at least a .300 win mag but I would feel confident using my trusty .308.

Just my 2 cents
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Thanks Rhino...anyone hear of culling let me know ..thay are tasty!!!
I'll furnish the boat drinks,whatever that may be!
Terk
AG
quote:

This sounds like an excuse to go out and buy yourself a new rifle. Just pick a caliber that will work that you don't own.

win - win - win
Buck Turgidson
What's the point of shooting a Nilgai? Not much in the way of horns. Is the meat pretty good?
RhinoVic
Damn tasty. Plus, if you bag a good one, you will have enough in the freezer to last you awhile. A 600 LB antelope is loaded with good cuts. FYI, to be considered a trophy, the horns need to be at least 10 inches. Pretty weak eh? But I will say, those 10 inch horns can do you in.

RhinoVic
CO'89
WorkBoots09
AG
My dad got one 6ish years ago with his .270 on the King Ranch. He's not a trophy hunter, and I think he punched a hole right behind the ear, but damn that was some tasty meat.

Made the best sausage I've ever eaten with it and a little pork. Nearly start a fight every time.
Wodanaz
AG
Blast from the past. I'm hitting the King Ranch soon for a big blue and trying to decide which horse to bring out of the stable. My .338 Christensen MPR and 300 Wby Lazermark haven't ever drawn blood. I'd like to change that but I'm nervous to put a scratch on the Wby and think the .338 may be overkill (maybe not). I've got a Vanguard .300 Wby I used in Mexico that'll work, then there's the 7mm-08, .308, and 30-06. I'm even considering my 6.5-284 or 6.5-300.

What say the 2021 OB crowd?
Goodest Poster
AG
300 Wby Mag for the win!

Just butchered 2 nilgai cows this weekend
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I've killed 5 Nilgai and they all dropped in their tracks. 1 with a .300 Win Mag, 2 with a .300 WSM, 1 with a 30-06 and one with a .308, they all did the job.

The main thing is to break them down. Shoot any caliber mentioned in the OP (besides the 7mm-08) you feel confident shooting, but break their shoulders when you shoot them. A nilgai with two broken shoulders isn't going anywhere, one that's shot behind the shoulder could end up miles away, even with a good shot.
slammerag
AG
Killed a cow and a big bull w 300 win mag DRT. I have also seen many wounded with various magnum calibers. Use tough bullets (a-frame, partition, etc) and break them down as OP said.
SharkinAg
AG
I was actually getting ready to post this e question. I'm going in February and I'm looking at some new calibers. The ruger .375 looks fun.
tandy miller
AG
Wodanaz said:

Blast from the past. I'm hitting the King Ranch soon for a big blue and trying to decide which horse to bring out of the stable. My .338 Christensen MPR and 300 Wby Lazermark haven't ever drawn blood. I'd like to change that but I'm nervous to put a scratch on the Wby and think the .338 may be overkill (maybe not). I've got a Vanguard .300 Wby I used in Mexico that'll work, then there's the 7mm-08, .308, and 30-06. I'm even considering my 6.5-284 or 6.5-300.

The 6.5-300 is an interesting round to me. That thing has to be SCORCHIN
Wodanaz
AG
It's like a 22-250 that hit puberty. I've tried to sell it a few times to fund a .257 Wby but it's a niche market at $5k.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3096711/replies/56063406#56063406
Green2Maroon
AG
tandy miller said:

Wodanaz said:

The 6.5-300 is an interesting round to me. That thing has to be SCORCHIN

Does it come with spare barrels?
Log
AG
I'm using a .300 RUM and .416 Rigby on my hunts this year. Because I have them, and because I like big guns and I cannot lie.
JB!98
AG
7 mag just like for Elk.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
TikkaShooter
I've found Nilgai to die with any reasonable sized well placed hunting bullet.

Somehow they have taken on this status of the ultimate beast. Stout creatures, no doubt, but by no means worthy of only 30 cal bullets to the shoulder blade.
Wodanaz
AG
Already working on mount ideas. I think some red eyes and a bear jaw on the actual nilgai cape would be quite the conversation starter in the lodge.

EFE
AG
Log said:

I'm using a .300 RUM and .416 Rigby on my hunts this year. Because I have them, and because I like big guns and I cannot lie.

This is what we use when guiding Nilgai hunts down here
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.