Outdoors
Sponsored by

Need RMNP backpacking advice

2,013 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by ccard257
ccard257
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a 4 day three night itenerary for Rocky Mountain. Any suggestions?
ccard257
AG
bump.
JimShorts
AG
Lost lake loop. I believe it is about 23 miles.
ccard257
AG
Thanks. Any idea on the route/how that's done as a loop? Looking at the map it looks like lost lake would be an out and back (which I don't want to do) unless you went cross country to another trail system. I don't mind hiking off trail, but I don't know the rules regarding this in the park.
JimShorts
AG
Let me seee if I can find it. It is supposed to be a RMNP ranger favorite.

Also if you don't want to pay for RMNP, you can do Lost Creek. You can put in near Bailey and follow the Turkey Creek loop. There is an old mine there and a lot of fishing.
ccard257
AG
Thanks. I've done that lost creek hike or some variation of it. If we don't go to RMNP, we'll probably do the 4-pass loop near aspen but my wife is pushing for something in the park.
JimShorts
AG
Sorry, Lost Lake is out and back. You can do a search on www.backpacker.com for RMNP routes and it came back with 4 pages listed with difficulty and mileage.
clobby
AG
for a loop : continential divide scenic trail to north inlet.

through hike the continential divide to flat top mtn trail down to bear lake or start on the north inlet to bear lake.

fun stuff on the west side so less people and a chance at spotting a moose.
ccard257
AG
Yeah I was thinking of starting in the bear lake area (or somewhere over there) and hiking to the north inlet and having a friend pick us up from there. Do you think that is better hiked from west to east or does it matter?
clobby
AG
east to west will be mostly down hill. Either way its a nice hike. The north inlet trail is nice.
tlepoC
AG
Lost Lake! I will post pictures from 2 years ago later. We did it as a pretty easy 2 nighter though....day hiked to the lake above lost lake (def worth it).

I've been all over RMNP but I haven't kept track of my routes.
74ZIP
AG
We were in RMNP this past week. Camped 2 nights in Longs Peak Campgtound and 1 night at the Boulder Field below Longs. I have never seen the park more crowded.

Avoid Saturday and Sunday if possible. If you do want to park in the RMNP lots---get there EARLY. Even the shuttle lot on Bear Lake Road was full at times. Park Rangers were telling people to come back in a few hours.
ccard257
AG
Yeah I hear you about the crowds, they were rediculous last weekend. We will be there during the week and it will be late august so the crowds should be thinning out as people get back to school
clobby
AG
In national parks once you get 100' off the road you only deal with 5% of the visitors. The Bear Lake to west side of the park will have significantly less people, well after a few miles on the BL trail.
clobby
AG
ccard257
AG
Thanks for all the help so far, guys. my buddy and I decided to head up there this weekend for a couple little adventures so i'll stop at the backcountry office and see what's available.
clobby
AG
Do you live in co?
ccard257
AG
yeah, I'm in denver
tlepoC
AG
Lost Lake
Sorry but most of my good photos at the top were taken with black/white film and I can't find my digitized files. I may be wrong and the top lake is actually Lost Lake but I don't think so. Whatever the last image is of, it is definitely worth the extra hike up to it.

Trail leading up to it...

Looking back down on Lost Lake

Lake above Lost Lake (off the trail)

[This message has been edited by Aggierific (edited 7/23/2010 7:51p).]
DOCAG79
AG
Still love going from the Bear Lake Trailhead to Loch Vail and then to Lake of Glass and Sky Pond. About 9 miles round trip.
dmart90
AG
Backpacker.com all sorts of hikes, especially in that part of the country.

Class of '90
Gig 'em!
clobby
AG
quote:
Still love going from the Bear Lake Trailhead to Loch Vail and then to Lake of Glass and Sky Pond. About 9 miles round trip.

Fun trip with the fly rod.
ccard257
AG
Reserved my permit this evening. Starting at bear lake, down north inlet, up to big meadows, over to the divide trail, back to bear lake. I can't remember the campsites, just sort of had to take what was available. Looong second day, but short third. I'll call in the days prior to see if anything opens up so that we can even that out a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.