Outdoors
Sponsored by

Behold! (BGE Related) -- Picture Heavy!

18,227 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by La Fours
DirtDiver
How long do you want to ignore this user?
confucius_ag
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
4. And last but not least... the bottle opener! Where did you get the A&M opener to mount?

+1

And isn't the correct nomenclature for your finished project a "nest"? That's what my buddy in Charleston calls his.

Beautiful work.
p-wonk01
AG
Looks great
chilidogfood
AG
I just google shopping searched for "wall mount a&m bottle opener", or something similar. I believe the website was www.homebrewers.com

[This message has been edited by chilidogfood (edited 6/21/2010 8:57a).]
SteveG
AG
Thanks Chili! Sept you bought the last dang one! Looks like I will have to check back.

Again, great job on the table. I have onlyhad my BGE for a few months, but I love me some BGE! Have fun.
chilidogfood
AG
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=wall+mount+a%26m+bottle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=9RYgTMPJNoiCnQfRhslV&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQrQQwAA

Surely someone on this page has them in stock.
BlueLacyAg08
Great post! Love the Aggie ingenuity. The step by step was fantastic and you did an awesome job! I need to start saving for a BGE
J-Dub
AG
Will you make me one of those? The bottle opener is a nice finishing touch.
easttexasaggie04
AG
awesome
Streetfighter 02
AG
I used a 2X4 Basics kit to build a 3'X8' table for mine. I put birch on top and mid grade plywood for the shelves. I stained it as close to maroon as I could. It took a few hours total and works great although it doesn't look quite as nice.

easttexasaggie04
AG
how do you like your BGE? How does it perform as a smoker?
chilidogfood
AG
Looks good SF.

I've only smoked a brisket so far. It turned out great. It holds 225-250 degrees like a bad habit.

I have a pork butt rubbed down ready to be thrown on in the next couple days and a young turkey flying a holding pattern until this weekend.
easttexasaggie04
AG
dang man where do you live...I wanna come hangout (eat) with you!
BULL
AG
WOW! Well done!

Wish I was that creative.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I still don't understand how the BGE works as a smoker? Since most smokers have a fire box that passes the smoke from the box past the meat then out a vent. It seams like the BGE would just cook the meat like a regular grill, not smoking it at all. How does this work?
chilidogfood
AG
I'll do my best to explain how it works, but let me know if someone wants to correct or add to this.

Basically you build a fire in the fire pit using lump charcoal and chunks of whatever wood you want to smoke with.

Next, you insert a ceramic plate setter that can be seen in one of my last pictures. This ceramic piece is used to block the direct heat from the coals in order to create an indirect heat source similar to a bbq pit with an external firebox.

Then you place a drip catch pan on top of the plate setter and finally place the grill grate on top of that.

By adjusting the vents on the bottom and top, the airflow to the firebox can be increased or decreased. This airflow directly controls the speed of combustion thus the temperature of the grill.

Fido recommends that the top vent be kept closed (or near closed) during smoking in order to keep a good head of smoke in the cooker.

I have noticed that because the firebox is not external, almost all of the heat produced by the fire is contained in the egg which makes it more fuel efficient (little to no fire stoking) but less smoke efficient (slower fire produces less smoke). In order to compensate for the small quantity of smoke, I did not cover my brisket throughout its 13 hour cooking time. In my dad's big pit, it might have been over smoked, but in the BGE it wasn't even close.

The Large BGE weighs roughly 200 lbs, which is a lot of thermal mass. As long as the vent holes in the firebox are not plugged with ash, a consistent flow of air should pass from bottom to top. In my experience (which is pretty limited) using a clean burning lump charcoal allowed me to maintain 250deg for the majority of the cooking process without any adjustments.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I've done two pork butts. Both were delicious and don't without any prior pork butt smoking knowledge. We randomly seasoned them and put them on the Primo. The fire went out amongst other issues since it was the 2nd time I used the grill. The meat was great.
fido98
quote:
Fido recommends that the top vent be kept closed (or near closed) during smoking in order to keep a good head of smoke in the cooker.

Definitely not closed. I keep the daisy wheel open about 1/4-1/2". Just enough to keep a light haze of smoke when you open it
chilidogfood
AG
bump for a friend
KCchemE
very impressive build.
DiskoTroop
909Ag2006
BoozerRed78
AG
Well done!
Crawdaddy
Ergo97
AG
That is a truly awesome project. Love the details and overall look. The grill light and Taylor Digital Cooking Thermometer/Timer on the front, with A&M accessory, really, really, really look great.

I don't have a BGE, but this thread is making me think about it a lot.

Does it really help make meat more juicy?
La Fours
AG
Are you not concerned with beer spillage onto the electrical outlet?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.