Outdoors
Sponsored by

HEB fajitas

27,976 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by AgBrad08
AgBrad08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I was asked to cook some fajitas for a christmas party. I have tried homemade marinades for fajitas before, but I don't want to mess with it for tonight (and don't have time to at this point). So I am just going to get HEB preseasoned beef fajitas.

Any tips for making it as good as possible? I assume grilling is the best method for cooking, right? Anything I should add to it?
rather be fishing
AG
Yeah, just throw them on the grill. The HEB ones are actually really good. I like the chicken better than then beef.
Walter Kovacs
AG
don't skimp out on the tortillas. get something good.
daryl gersch
AG
The pork fajitas are the best. IMHO
BoozerRed78
AG
I don't mean this to be derogatory - but if you're asking if grilling is the best method to cook them, then you're probably pretty new at this - so yes, I would recommend the HEB pre-seasoned kind. On the grill.
bevokilla
AG
If you get the chicken, make sure to get the breasts not the thighs otherwise you will be trimming them all day
AgBrad08
Hey, Im just checking. But yes, I have only cooked fajitas for my self a few times. Growing up, my parents always sliced it and put it in a pan with onion and bell pepper. I have suspected that was the wrong way for a while. I think I am a decent cook, but I have only been cooking a few years and mainly cook for my self. So I don't know if i just tell myself its good since I made it, or if its actually decent.

I going with beef, because that is what I was asked to bring. I don't know if anyone else is bringing other meat or not.
WATER TOWER
whatever you do... MAKE SURE YOU CUT THE BEEF IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!
Sean98
AG
AND THE RIGHT DIRECTION IS ACROSS THE GRAIN!!

NO WAIT, IT'S WITH THE GRAIN!!

FAT SIDE UP!

FAT SIDE DOWN!!

normaleagle05
AG
AgBrad, I've never bought the HEB preseasoned fajita meats so I'm not sure how they are priced. That being said, you may save yourself some money/time/headache at your local carniceria. Many of them have super cheap package deals on fajita makings (preseasoned meat,fresh tortillas, onion, peppers, crema, the works).
sunchaser
AG
Where is the fajita on a chicken?
mccjames
AG
Do not buy the hill country fair kind, buy the HEB kind, they make two different ones.

Slice off anything that looks wierd. High heat grill for fajitas, let rest then slice ACROSS the grain. With the HEB that ussually means cutting them about every 4" and then slicing against the grain.

HEB pre-marinated Fajitas are pretty darn good.
WATER TOWER
I HATE IT WHEN I BITE INTO A FAJITA AND PULL ALL OF THE GOOD STUFF OUT ON THE FIRST BITE!
Lulz monkey
fajita beef is the only beef that should be cooked well done.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
locate the nearest mercado - get the fajitas in the red marinade. No idea what it consists of and I dont ask but it would make a hobo sock taste good
HDeathstar
they are good. They have two kinds. Get the HEB ones not the hill country fare. the HEB ones are more expensive. Skip the fajita flavored chicken and go for the prepackaged cilintro lime chicken. It is great!!
sunchaser
AG
quote:
fajita beef is the only beef that should be cooked well done

How do you like your beef jerky?
scoodogg
AG
When I cook fajitas for a party, I use the HEB stuff (trimmed). I grill them on the gas grill first. Then I slice them up and put them in a roaster or pan. Then I mix in a bunch of sliced onions and bell peppers and throw in the oven (about 225 to 250) until the party. Usually I cook them a couple of hours before the party so I can get cleaned up while they are in the oven.
Lulz monkey
if you don't cook it well done you get the problem water talked about. everything comes out with it.
TresPuertas
AG
Use the HEB half cooked tortillas. They are better than most homemade tortillas.
sunchaser
AG
Water tower needs to learn how to eat fajitas.
If need be....practice on hot dogs....no mustard or pickle relish. Meat and bun only.

Once you get where you can consistantly bite thru the hot dog you can move up to fajitas.......on a trial basis.
OleRock02
AG
quote:
locate the nearest mercado - get the fajitas in the red marinade. No idea what it consists of and I dont ask but it would make a hobo sock taste good

+1.

I'll never buy the stuff marinaded by gringos again.
Lulz monkey
eh, i prefer not to fight with my food. it's not like fajita beef is a ribeye or strip. if you ate at freebirds on texas between the years of 1995-2000 you had well done fajita beef and you probably liked it.
jobu93
AG
the Kroger ones are really good too.
sunchaser
AG
bravenot....I was eating fajitas when they were half the price of bad hamburger meat.....then gringos found out how good it was. Freebird's founder was eating Gerber's beef.
WATER TOWER
quote:
If need be....practice on hot dogs...

what is the ob coming too??? pedicures?? practicing on hot dogs???
OlArmy_97
If you want a better tasting fajita...eff their pre-seasoned stuff. Just go to the butcher counter at HEB. Ask for their skirt steak, get them to run it thru their tenderizer TWICE. Then get you some Bolner's FIESTA brand Fajita seasoning, sprinkle heavy onto the tenderized skirt steak. Roll up in wax paper or rollup and put into big ziplock...let sit for a hour. Then grill. Let sit for 10 minutes after pulling off grill. Slice against the grain of the meat.

These turn out WAY better than the pre-season stuff.
CoastGuardAg00
HEB tortilla's and fajita's
Jonsey2003
if you are going to use Beef HEB preseasoned Fajitas I would personally recomend either the Red label Skirt fajitas or Our new Item Texas style Skirt Fajitas... extremely Tender... i actually help manufacture the Fajitas for HEB
Jonsey2003
also just to clarify the texas style and red label skirt fajita are the HEB brand... the red label brand are trimmed skirts and the texas style are untrimmed skirts.
Vero143
quote:
Where is the fajita on a chicken?

Right next to the nuggets.
MasterAggie
AG
For grocery store boight fajitas HEB are pretty good maybe a little salty sometimes but plenty good enough. If you have time go to a real mexican market and grab some hanging tenders they may call it fajitas nortenas and have them filet it out for you. Far better tasting cut of meat. Making a marinade for them is easy. I can tell you 100 ways that are all good.
AginKS
well... IF you're going to grill them, you have to use Mesquite wood - period. Anything else is a waste of time. Since your buying pre-marinated stuff, no suggestions b/c it'd be a crap shoot.

Preparing fajitas in a pan or anywhere inside a house is sacrilegious and considered a serious BBQ foul! You dad's manhood should be questioned. Well, you're here, but still......

In the end, having lived in Texas for 40 years - I love fajitas and a great bowl of red: but my passion will always be in preparing/smoking/eating brisket.

For God, country, and A&M
sunchaser
AG
Good answer Vero....where's the fajita on a shrimp?
Vero143
Next to the beer batter.

(lame, I know.)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.