Help with New Home Networking

2,555 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by combat wombat™
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

this is all good stuff but you're talking with someone that has no idea what any of this means and will likely never use any of those features. No offense wombat.
True.

I don't use the functionality that is on the Orbi app.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Im gonna piggyback on this thread if its ok with combatwombat.

I have an old Asus AC68 router from probably 2014, so I thought I would upgrade. I have AT&T Fiber and I believe i took their ****ty gateway and put it in passthrough mode and had my Asus router running the show -- i think? I did this 10 years ago.

Today I purchased an Asus ZenWifi Pro ET12 2 pack.

How will this work when I set it up? Just unplug the current Asus router plug one of these in where the router comes in and then go upstairs and hook the other one to a hard line in my loft area?

Or do I need to buy another, more current, modem?

I used to know this ****, but just making sure I dont create any bottlenecks here.
kyledr04
AG
If you have trouble running ethernet cables to the other side if the house, you could use a moca adapter to run over coax TV cable if if already exists. I had to do this for our ps5 because I could run cat6 in that wall.

Also plus one on the ubiquity stuff. I'm about to install a 3rd system for a church. I've been ok with Orbi at home but I'm seriously considering a dream machine and 2-3 AP that'll be better and cheaper.
satexas
AG
kyledr04 said:

Also plus one on the ubiquity stuff. I'm about to install a 3rd system for a church. I've been ok with Orbi at home but I'm seriously considering a dream machine and 2-3 AP that'll be better and cheaper.

Exactly. Some people in this thread are stubborn and fear an open mind. Technology has changed a TON on home/office routers thanks to Ubiquiti (UI).
Cloud
TP Link omada should be considered as well. Just switched my home network from unifi to omada. It's cheaper and the supply is actually there. Been rock solid.
combat wombat™
AG
We are in the house.

We use Verizon phone service and reception here is trash. I'm not sure if the house is acting as a pseudo faraday cage preventing reception or if we are in a dead spot.

I have the gateway/primary Xfinity access point and ONE Xfinity puck (it's all I could find from my last round with Xfinity). I'd go get more pucks but I'm not sure they're the direction I want to go. But I'd like to fix this soon so at least we can use WiFi calling.
combat wombat™
AG
None taken. I DON'T have any idea what I am doing… mostly.

Can I hire someone to do this for me? Besides Best Buy, who would do a competent job?

I can just buy the eeros pods but could we do better? We do have security cameras… several mentions about those.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.