What were you gaming on in college?

3,713 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NC2001
Post removed:
by user
Aggie1944s Kid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Atari 2600. There was a toy store in post oak mall that had games for $1. Don't really remember what all we had with the exception of winter games or something like that. We constantly played the ski jump. We'd get home from class to find a note on the tv that showed the new record and which roommate (there was 5 of us) had made it. Then you'd spend the next however many hours it took to get the new record. My grades that semester reflected the use of that Atari.
Get ready bal. You're gonna in for a problem.
El_duderino
My old PS2 for ncaa baseball, 360 for halo/mw3, and then ps3 for world at war/black ops/etc.
SJEAg
AG
Started school in 95 with my Pentium 90. Lots of NBA Live 95 (the most fun version ever IMO) and Command and Conquer/WarCraft II was played. Roommate had an SNES while waiting on the N64 to come out. I didn't play consoles much, but I recall everyone crowded in our room to play Killer Instinct non-stop.

Later college years I was mostly playing Quake2 (annihilated everyone being one of the like 2% a the time on a cable modem) and Everquest towards the end. I think my final PC iteration was an AMD Athlon of some kind.
ausag
AG
MUD game in the Commons!
Cyprian
AG
Counterstrike, & Counterstrike, more Counterstrike, then some Battlefield 1942 towards the end
Krazykat
AG
Women.
G Martin 87
AG
Apple IIc
aezmvp
Big Money Aggie said:

Women.

lolpoor.
Max Power
AG
Freshman year everyone in the dorms was playing Goldeneye on the N64. Junior year the XBox was released and Halo took over.
jokershady
AG
PS2….did a lot of socom multiplayer
Madmarttigan
AG
2005… WoW almost got me kicked out.
Formerly tv1113
Tormentos
AG
Counterstrike 1.0 to 1.4 [x-cons]
taxpreparer
AG
Mid 70s: playing cards, pinball machines, and maybe pong.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Cards for Spades, Hearts, etc. played Spades on one of Band busses from 7AM til we arrived in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl vs USC
Dominos for 42, Moon, etc.
Pinball machines and pool tables

Lots of great memories and lots of beer consumed!
Sponge
AG
In 1999-2000, PC mostly Counterstrike beta 4 to beta 6.
Then NES mostly RBI Baseball.
Then PS2 wiped Gran Turismo 2 memory of a deployed friend and fully completed the game.
flintdragon
AG
ausag said:

MUD game in the Commons!
Me too! Nerds playing MUDs and girls on IRC.

Then we drilled holes between floors in Appelt Hall to run coax along the ceiling to connect up one big 10base2 network to play Doom2 or something.
Dr. Horrible
Started with a PlayStation and n64. Ended with ps3, wii, and Xbox 360, with all the permutations in between.
aggieforester05
AG
PS2
Gran Turismo 2
NFS
Tiger Woods 2004/2005
Tekken

Xbox
Halo

N64
Goldeneye

PC
Doom
Quake
Wolfenstein 3D
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004
lb3
AG
ausag said:

MUD game in the Commons!
I started playing my favorite MUD again recently. I'm shocked it's still around.
YouBet
AG
I'm a fairly big gamer but I didn't game at all in college (92-97). Might be because PC gaming still wasn't all that common for poor college students. Internet barely existed. And I really didn't have a console system to bring with me to college.

And I was much more focused on girls and partying.
labmansid
taxpreparer said:

Mid 70s: playing cards, pinball machines, and maybe pong.
Surprised it took this long for this to come up. I remember going to a local hangout and being excited about the sit-down console to play pong on. That and playing foosball in the student center.
taxpreparer
AG
First place I saw it was in Handiburger at the corner of University and Wellborn. Of course we had a different name for the Handiburger.
TXAGBQ76
AG
LOL, was thinking of the old name as I read it also! My buddy had the pinball, Pong and Pac-Man machines there and a couple of other locations in town. Made some pretty good coin (pun intended).
Super Aggie 64
AG
I started college with the GameCube, Nintendo DS, and Xbox. I got the Wii on launch day (Nov 2006). I won a raffle at the Hastings on Texas Ave and Holleman Dr to buy 1 of the 3 Wiis they had. I got an Xbox 360 in summer 2007 a few months before the Halo 3 launch.
taxpreparer
AG
Your buddy owned TAV? (Right acronym?)
kb2001
AG
C&C Red Alert
Civ II

Then the PS2 came out and we played it at a friend's house

flintdragon
AG
lb3 said:

ausag said:

MUD game in the Commons!
I started playing my favorite MUD again recently. I'm shocked it's still around.
which one?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Don't know that acronym. He and another guy had the business
txagman1998
AG
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Tie Fighter
Warcraft II
Diablo
lb3
AG
flintdragon said:

lb3 said:

ausag said:

MUD game in the Commons!
which one?
StrangeMud.net:9332

It was started by a friend of a friend in 1993. He was a computer science major at tu and ran it on his vax account for a little over a year before he has to move it. Back then it was common to see 30+ players on at a time. Now it can be days between logins although the current 'owner' drops in frequently.

If you want to try it, let me know and I can help you find your way around. There's also a newbie guide that does a decent job of showing you around.
Gomer95
AG
Original NES. My roommate and I played a TON of Mario Tennis my freshman year and then we used to have friends over and play Tecmo Super Bowl tournaments while drinking beer and calling radio stations to request a song and when they finally played it we changed stations and then called them to request a song. Fun times lol.
Gomer95
AG
I'm so glad there wasn't anything like today's consoles with online play when I was in college because I wouldn't have gotten anything done. It was hard enough with NES lol.
ac04
camped out overnight in front of best buy as a freshman to get a launch day PS2 in october of 2000.
flintdragon
AG
lb3 said:

flintdragon said:

lb3 said:

ausag said:

MUD game in the Commons!
which one?
StrangeMud.net:9332

It was started by a friend of a friend in 1993. He was a computer science major at tu and ran it on his vax account for a little over a year before he has to move it. Back then it was common to see 30+ players on at a time. Now it can be days between logins although the current 'owner' drops in frequently.

If you want to try it, let me know and I can help you find your way around. There's also a newbie guide that does a decent job of showing you around.
Thanks. Not looking to play again. but was curious which one. There were several really good ones at the time. I don't remember all the details. Wasn't there an "LPMud" base platform that several used?

I remember playing NightmareMUD the most. Once you go to L20 or something and became a "high mortal", you can choose to keep playing or start content creating and adding to the world. Nifty.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.