AirPod Pro 1st Gen vs 2nd

3,703 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jbanda
HossAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Long press on the stem. Or you can go to control center and hold down on the volume bar to see the options.
tandy miller
AG
Thank you. I am VERY pleased with these. Was my first experience w this kind of find my and it is incredible
Claude!
Broke down and ordered a set to replace my Bose earbuds. Looking forward to getting them.
nkc1981
AG
I upgraded from 1st gen pros only because I had some Bestbuy reward dollars I needed to use and couldn't think of anything else I wanted, but these are no doubt an improvement - and thats after already thinking the originals were great. The biggest improvement I noticed right away is transparency mode. Instead of background noise being amplified to the point where you could easily tell you were using transparency mode (which I know you can finetune in accessibility settings to probably improve that), now it sounds much more natural. Overall sound quality is great. I'd say for most people its probably not worth upgrading from original pros, but if I didnt have them I'd pay the extra $70-$80 to get the gen 2's.
tandy miller
AG
Exactly what I was hoping to hear.
HossAg
AG
The subtle sound quality improvements are impressive. I'm noticing more as I listen to more stuff.

Agreed on transparency mode being more natural as well.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Unboxed the 2nd gens today.

No regerts.

Money well spent.

Can't conceive of getting better sound quality out of earbuds.

The sound quality is so good, its almost distracting and takes some getting use to.
aTm2004
AG
For me, if I'm buying something electronic, I buy the newest and greatest, so I'd go for gen 2.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The noise cancelling is unbelievable.
HossAg
AG
I've tested the ANC some more now and holy **** this is insane. These things are so good.
Tomdoss92
AG
HossAg said:

Long press on the stem. Or you can go to control center and hold down on the volume bar to see the options.
you can also go to bluetooth under settings and click the little (i) circle by the airpods.
atmhockey
AG
Been using v2 for a few days and I have to say that this is a similar but better experience. As mentioned above, the sound is better, but I am no audiophile, and can tell base and mids are stronger. Not sure of the "Apple magic" sprinkled in or just louder...but sound does sound better to me.

Volume up/down from the stems is the killer feature...for me. Works as expected with a small audible "thump" when we volume up or down.

If you have V1's and they are working great for you, upgrading is going to be more on the "gotta have the newest thing" vs. it is sooo much better I had to upgrade. Ride your v1's until you lose, break or your SO asks what you want for your birthday/holiday.

If you are not an airpod prop owner yet, go ahead and spend the extra for the V2's. Air tag functionality, improved (slight) sound quality and better battery life is worth the extra $.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Couple days in.

Seems like if you are on a call it cancels outside background noise.

Still amazed by the noise cancelling.

A loaded semi drove by me about 50 yards away. i could hear the air displacement from the semi but not the engine. Weird as hell.

I'd be real careful with the noise cancelling if you running or on a bike or something like that. It's disorienting.
HossAg
AG
I've got a loud meeting going on all day in an open conference room near my desk, coworkers on the phone around me, and the hum of work trucks outside my window, and I can't hear a thing when I turn on the noise canceling and play music. That was not the case with my gen 1s. They were good, but not this good.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I wish I had these things 10-years ago. Would make working in an office environment 10x better.

Best engineered product I've seen in a long time.
tandy miller
AG
I'm about to go shoot some guns w muffs over pods. Anxious to see what I hear
Charpie
AG
I guess it's time to buy some
HossAg
AG
Charpie said:

I guess it's time to buy some
I'm surprised you didn't pre-order
lb3
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I wish I had these things 10-years ago. Would make working in an office environment 10x better.

You nearly have me convinced.

My Jabra 75e battery which originally had a 13 hour battery life is now down to about 5 or 6 hours. How will the Pro2s hold up to a full day of teams meetings with say 45 minutes free at lunch to charge and periodic 10 minute break every ~2 hours?

That's not a typical day but frequent enough to be a critical purchase driver.
HossAg
AG
lb3 said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

You nearly have me convinced.

My Jabra 75e battery which originally had a 13 hour battery life is now down to about 5 or 6 hours. How will the Pro2s hold up to a full day of teams meetings with say 45 minutes free at lunch to charge and periodic 10 minute break every ~2 hours?

That's not a typical day but frequent enough to be a critical purchase driver.
Mine have been lasting a full 5+ hours on a charge, and they charge pretty quickly. 45 minutes at lunch should get them close to full charge again. I don't think it would be an issue to use these for work unless you're just in nonstop calls the entire day and can't ever remove them.
Furlock Bones
AG
do the airpod pros offer noise protection as well? i know some noise cancelling earbuds do. i am not asking for gun shooting. but, running my lawn mower/weedeater etc. using my airpods under my ear muffs starts to hurt.
tandy miller
AG
Furlock Bones said:

do the airpod pros offer noise protection as well? i know some noise cancelling earbuds do. i am not asking for gun shooting. but, running my lawn mower/weedeater etc. using my airpods under my ear muffs starts to hurt.

Mine seem like they do. I was blowing my truck and could hardly hear the blower w volume pretty low.

Also, I had no problem fitting these under a pair of the electronic walkers shooting muffs yesterday at the range
jbanda
AG
Anyone going to take a chance on full custom earbuds from UE ($450). Back in the wired days, their tripleFi 10 pros were amazing.

https://custom.ultimateears.com/products/ue-drops
HossAg
AG
These supposedly have a 23 dB noise reduction. From my understanding, turning noise cancellation on or off is not going to have any effect as far as the actual intensity of sound getting to your ears. 23 dB is pretty good. I think the perceived noise reduction with ANC on is larger than the actual reduction of harmful noise. But I imagine 23 dB is good enough reduction for something like a mower either way.

ETA: I'm not a sound expert so I could definitely be wrong.
BCG Disciple
AG
Anyone jog with them? Gen 1s usually get loose in my ear after a mile or so. It's annoying fiddling with it and then I grab the thing at the wrong spot and stop it or skip to the next song.
tamusc
AG
I'm a bit of an audio nerd with some pretty high end headphone gear. I used the gen 1's since launch and had finally replaced them with some significantly better wired IEMs plus a decently high end total wireless Bluetooth adapter. The converted wireless IEMS were a little less user friendly and more cumbersome, but the audio quality difference more than made up for those shortcomings.

The gen 2's have already completely replaced the high end IEM/wireless adapter setup in day to day use because the noise cancellation and general audio quality (especially low and mid range) is that much better. The adapter IEM setup still sounds better, but the gen 2's are close enough that the convenience and vastly better noise cancellation that it easily closes the gap.

I'm now only using the adapted IEM setup when I'm just casually listening to music in my office and don't want to be tied down to a specific location with wires.

The Airpod Pros continue to be one of the best engineered products Apple makes and the gen 2 catch up and surpass the completion in just about every meaningful metric.

Edit - I had switched over to the Dekoni memory foam tips for my gen 1's, but have been using the stock silicone tips so far with the gen 2's
Charpie
AG
I knew I should have just talked to you about it
tamusc
AG
That would have been the easy way, lol.

Oh, and another note, the volume control on the stem is waaaaaay more useful than I was expecting.
Charpie
AG
Now I'm trying to decide if I just want to buy them for myself, or let the husband buy them for me for my birthday.

I DON'T WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG
HossAg
AG
tamusc said:

That would have been the easy way, lol.

Oh, and another note, the volume control on the stem is waaaaaay more useful than I was expecting.
I really like how it's only one click per swipe. I was worried it would be continuous and I'd accidentally blow my ear drums out using that feature.
tfunk02
AG
Just got mine in today, and I am ready to test them out!
Charpie
AG
Mine will be here tomorrow
Agzonfire
Bump. Thinking about getting the Airpod Pros. I have an iphone, so figure these would be the best option to use for work during the day and then listening to music and podcasts. Sound quality isn't really my biggest concern, I had some of the original Airpods and they wouldn't stay in my ear at all. Are the new ones worth the price?
HossAg
AG
Definitely worth the price. These have rubber ear tips, so I'd be surprised if they didn't work for you even if the first gen AirPods didn't.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Pros are worth the money. Silicone tips eliminate the falling out of ear problem. If you on the apple ecosystem its a 100% no brainer and worth the money, imo ... as someone who uses them all day every day.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.