AirPod Pro 1st Gen vs 2nd

3,582 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jbanda
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ran over my Gen 2 AirPods (well one). Am going to replace with pros. I know the 2nd Gen comes out tomorrow for $250, but I can get the 1st Gen. for $170.

Is it worth it to spring for the 2nd Gen? I use them 10+ hours a week probably.

TIA
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
I have Gen 1 and won't be upgrading for what it's worth.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
tandy miller
AG
Which would you get if you had to replace yours?
HossAg
AG
I have Gen 1s that I use 4+ hours a day. I ordered gen 2s just because I've had the originals for 3 years and battery is getting worse.

You can't really go wrong with gen 1, though. They're incredible and I doubt gen 2 will actually be worth $80 more to you. You're gonna be mind blown by the noise canceling on either gen coming from non pros.
AG
Honestly, probably gen 1 for the $80 savings.

I don't care enough / use spatial audio enough for that to be important. The best feature add to me personally is the addition of a small speaker to play a sound when using Find My to locate the case.

Aside: my gen 1's are currently MIA but they almost always turn up somewhere around my house so may be putting my money where my mouth is here...
Thanks & Gig 'Em
tandy miller
AG
Yeah I like the speaker as I lose stuff a lot but i dont know if that's worth the extra cash
HossAg
AG
If it was me, I'd probably go gen 2. The airtag/speaker functionality is pretty nice if you lose track of them. Noise cancellation will be top tier, you get the volume controls on the stem now, and they've got the new skin detection that works better.

But I use these things every day for work, and every bit of gain in noise cancellation is worth it for me. Just depends on your use case.
tandy miller
AG
They're 180 actually. Still, I think I'm just gonna get Gen. 1. I don't know what spatial audio even is, so I think I'll be ok without it.
tandy miller
AG
Will the 2nd Gen be available in stores tomorrow? Also, does apple still make you wear a mask in the store?
HossAg
AG
Spatial audio is just a gimmick that makes everything sound worse. It's so realistic that I'm constantly thinking there's something behind me IRL whenever I use it. More stressful than useful for me.
HossAg
AG
tandy miller said:

Will the 2nd Gen be available in stores tomorrow? Also, does apple still make you wear a mask in the store?
Mine are arriving tomorrow, so I believe they'll be available. I don't think they still require a mask, but I haven't been to one in a while.
atmhockey
AG
I have been a gen 1 user and ordered gen 2 for two main reasons. 1) the case now basically has an airtag in it and an speaker. Can't tell you how many times I forgot where I last had my airpods. 2) the volume up/down swipe function. bonus: the rumor that Apple will be able to do lossless music with a future firmware update.
HossAg
AG
atmhockey said:

I have been a gen 1 user and ordered gen 2 for two main reasons. 1) the case now basically has an airtag in it and an speaker. Can't tell you how many times I forgot where I last had my airpods. 2) the volume up/down swipe function. bonus: the rumor that Apple will be able to do lossless music with a future firmware update.
I didn't realize it functioned like an airtag until I watched a review today. So awesome. Gonna be way easier to keep track of them around the house. I'm always so careful to go out of my way to put them back in my bag so I don't accidentally lose them with the current case.
tandy miller
AG
So that means it will work off of BT? Because my biggest gripe about my regular ones was the find my sucked balls
HossAg
AG
tandy miller said:

So that means it will work off of BT? Because my biggest gripe about my regular ones was the find my sucked balls
It has an airtag functionality built in to where your phone will point you where to walk and how far away it is.

It'll look like this:
tandy miller
AG
HossAg said:

tandy miller said:

It has an airtag functionality built in to where your phone will point you where to walk and how far away it is.

It'll look like this:

SOLD

HossAg
AG
Welcome aboard
tandy miller
AG
I wonder if stores other than apple will have them on shelves tomorrow? I live in El Campo and closest Apple Store is an hour away.

tandy miller
AG
Oh, and thank y'all for the help!
HossAg
AG
I don't think it hits the shelves elsewhere until early next week
tandy miller
AG
Fiddlesticks
AG
Well looks like I'll be upgrading if I don't find my current gen 1's.

If they do turn up, i'll be attaching an airtag to the case!!!
Thanks & Gig 'Em
tandy miller
AG
$239 at BezosWorld
AggieFrog
AG
Personally, I prefer the Beats Fit Pro and Jabra Elite 7 Pros to AirPods Pro.
boy09
AG
ThreatLevel: Midnight said:

Well looks like I'll be upgrading if I don't find my current gen 1's.

If they do turn up, i'll be attaching an airtag to the case!!!
The surefire way to find your Gen 1's is to go ahead and give up the search and buy the Gen 2's. The old ones should turn up immediately.
CoppellAg93
AG
AggieFrog said:

Personally, I prefer the Beats Fit Pro and Jabra Elite 7 Pros to AirPods Pro.
Another vote for the Beats Fit Pros - easily the best headphones I've ever had.
htxag09
AG
I have the OG non pro airpods. May have to upgrade.....

Has the functionality of switching between my phone and computer gotten any better? That's my biggest complaint. Guess if I upgrade then I could just use my old airpods for the computer.....
HossAg
AG
htxag09 said:

I have the OG non pro airpods. May have to upgrade.....

Has the functionality of switching between my phone and computer gotten any better? That's my biggest complaint. Guess if I upgrade then I could just use my old airpods for the computer.....
Nah, still a pain in the ass on that front. I was hoping for an upgrade there too. I'm thinking the same thing with the multiple pairs. Just use one for work and one for my phone.
AG
That may improve a bit due to newer Bluetooth protocol (5.2 current) assuming your pc BT adapter is capable.

But until Apple releases a usb BT adapter with H1/H2 chip for fast pairing/switching will never be the same as Apple products. And that likely won't happen soon if ever.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
tandy miller
AG
Holy ****. These things are insane. Spatial feels a little weird, have never experienced it. Also noise cancellation is nuts. So good that I can't hear myself speak. The first time I experienced the pause between songs w noise canc I was taking the dog out, so there was some ambient noise. It was so quiet I felt like I was in a sound absorbing rooms.

Mi gusta!
HossAg
AG
They are the best $250 I've ever spent. They're amazing.
HossAg
AG
Just got the shipping notification. Need to go grab mine from the mail room.
tandy miller
AG
Let me know what you think vs previous gen. I'm no audiophile but the jump from regular to pro is enough to kick myself for not doing it sooner
HossAg
AG
These are sick. ANC is definitely stronger. More bass with music. Only thing I'm noticing is more of a white noise sound. Maybe that's required to reach that level of ANC. Doesn't bother me. My voice also sounds more natural to myself when in transparency mode.
tandy miller
AG
How do I turn on transparency mode
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.