Stacked monitor setup

570 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Proposition Joe
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone running a stacked monitor setup? How many total monitors?

Needing to upgrade my workstation and would love to have 2x2 stacked, but it's a bit daunting figuring out all the things I need to make sure my system/monitors are capable of so wanted to see hear some examples.
Finn
AG
Currently, I am running 3 27" monitors but I am holding out for Black Friday to get a 34-49" monitor and one more smaller monitor that I can run vertically for slack.

My ultimate plan is to get a triple wall mount for the 3 27" monitors. I will leave the larger display on my desk, and thinking about a corner mount for the smaller monitor that attaches to my desktop.

I built a 36" x 72" floating desk out of butcher block from lumber liquidators (now LL Flooring). My plan is to take a 2 x 6 and cut it so that it crosses 3 studs in the wall to hang it (obviously level/measure heights etc) to have a base to mount the bracket.

As far as hardware, I am running all of this out of a ASUS 3070 with 3 displays and 2 hdmi plugins.

Currently, the 3 screen setup is great but does not give me enough room for everything I need for my job. It was as easy as just plugging it in and it worked.

You could do the classic desk mounted bracket but make sure your desktop is thick enough to support. A coworker had his setup tilt and warp the thin desk he was using. He also said to crank the bracket down as hard as possible.

At my office the setup is 2 34" monitors on desk with 8 vertical monitors. This setup uses pigtails on the monitors and you take 2 curved brackets and set them in the corners so that the curves align in the middle. I will have to look at the brand of bracket but in the end they look like they are one mount even though it is 2. Here the base is sitting on top of the desk.

Proposition Joe
Yup, this is the exact issue I'm running into and it's frustrating because it seems like in order to do this (multiple stacked monitors), I have to do this... (replaces desk).

The lip on my desk isn't deep enough to support a clamp, and honestly it doesn't even feel super stable with two monitors on bases on it... so now i"m desk shopping.

I currently have two Dell 27 inch monitors side by side (S2721Q) and then a third vertical monitor off to the side for Slack, all connected to a GEFORCE GTX 1080. I like to do 2x2 stacked (4 total), sticking with the S2721Q's + the vertical. I could go smaller on the top monitors as I don't need as much screen real estate for those, but I feel like a smaller size is going to look really funky.

However naturally the secondary issue is the GEFORCE can only support 4 displays, so I'd then need to try and figure out how to run the 4 stacked on the video card and then try and do the 5th display via the on-board integrated video which seems like it should be easy enough, but never is.

But for now, I'm desk shopping. I don't need that much actual desk space for writing things out, but need it strong enough to support this setup.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.