Tech advance over the past 40-years

11,639 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
lb3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

YouBet
AG
FAT SEXY said:

4, 5, 3, 2, 1
Stat Monitor Repairman

Not a Bot
AG

Referring, of course, to B&W film vs advanced digital photography.
Quad Dog
AG

aggieforester05
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

ATVs have certainly gotten worse
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

I hate this one.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

As I was scrolling down, I fully thought the before/after was gonna be this:

YouBet
AG

Only $5 per hour! Damn!
MaroonStain
AG
Dammit! If you ain't first, then you're last.
rynning
AG

The 6502 chip in the Apple II had 3,500 transistors. The M1 Max chip in the latest MacBook Pros has 57 billion. That just blows my mind.
Furlock Bones
AG
A real truck to a fake one.
fig96
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Political commentary aside, color film was common in the 60s and ubiquitous in the 70s.

It's interesting to note that photos of controversial events in the 60s are often shown in b/w by some sources to make them seem older than they are, even though color photos of the same events are generally available.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Thats a good point. Never thought of it in that way.
91AggieLawyer
AG
rynning said:

The 6502 chip in the Apple II had 3,500 transistors. The M1 Max chip in the latest MacBook Pros has 57 billion. That just blows my mind.

My Apple II+ I had in HS allowed me to type up term papers and debate briefs on Apple Writer and do grades for my Physics teacher and a couple of other science teachers in Visicalc. My current MBP could do all that a little quicker, cleaner and easier (not to mention with portability) but I'm not sure I'm all that much more productive. Without the use of other peripherals and services (internet, online text, email, etc.) I'd still have to type stuff up, print it out, and hand deliver it. THAT is where the tech bar has been significantly raised, at least in terms of office type applications.
techno-ag
AG
fig96 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Political commentary aside, color film was common in the 60s and ubiquitous in the 70s.

It's interesting to note that photos of controversial events in the 60s are often shown in b/w by some sources to make them seem older than they are, even though color photos of the same events are generally available.
Newspapers still printed them in black and white, though.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

Stat Monitor Repairman

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
A) I think we're really still just processing many of the changes. The biggest one will be the spread of broadband/work from home, so that most people won't have to live in cities anymore

B) The second one will be using Big Data/AI to analyze things. The downside of that is it will be almost impossible for most small businesses to compete, if Megacorps lock that up.

C) Likewise, while robotic arms have gotten cheap enough for small businesses, buying them/getting them programmed is an issue. (It would be more interesting if they could be moved from station to station, with the programming locked to those stations.)

D) There doesn't seem to be much follow through - and getting the last 5% right always is crucial, and a stone cold *****, in any endeavor.
OldArmyBrent
AG
My mailman taught me how to reseal the boxes the CDs came in to send them back for free by just writing "refused" on the box. I think I must have been like 12. The good ole days.
The Fife
It's only 35 years old, but my external 20MB SCSI drive vs a 512GB microSD card.

I've been meaning to figure out how much volume 512GB of there hard drives would take up but haven't gotten around to it yet.
aggieforester05
AG
4,678 cubic feet or 8,082,816 cubic inches

A lot of space, basically a 500 sq ft apartment with 10 foot Ceilings filled floor to ceiling. Compared to a micro SD card.
The Fife
Is that the hard drive itself or the entire enclosure? I was going to compare it (total enclosure) to the volume of actual rooms here at home just for fun.
aggieforester05
AG
The Fife said:

Is that the hard drive itself or the entire enclosure? I was going to compare it (total enclosure) to the volume of actual rooms here at home just for fun.
That's based on the dimensions I got off of wikipedia. I think it was 3.1x9.7x10.5. Looks about like the size of the enclosure based on the pics.
kb2001
AG
A Cray supercomputer disk pack from the early 80s. Each platter was 14" and a grand total of 80 MB of harddrive space

OldArmyBrent
AG
Not many people know that the supercomputer was used to create the salad spinner.

I'll see myself out.
Jason_Roofer
91AggieLawyer said:

rynning said:

My Apple II+ I had in HS allowed me to type up term papers and debate briefs on Apple Writer and do grades for my Physics teacher and a couple of other science teachers in Visicalc. My current MBP could do all that a little quicker, cleaner and easier (not to mention with portability) but I'm not sure I'm all that much more productive. Without the use of other peripherals and services (internet, online text, email, etc.) I'd still have to type stuff up, print it out, and hand deliver it. THAT is where the tech bar has been significantly raised, at least in terms of office type applications.

What is fun to me is that all of this tech was billed as making us more productive, so you have more time to do what you want to do. It does make you more productive. We can also do stuff instantly. This has largely resulted in nothing more than people being expected to do more and do it quickly. I can't tell you how many emails and texts I get and then have the person call and ask if I got the email or text.
AG

aTm2004
AG

Ragoo
AG

umm. Why not use a picture of a mastercraft today?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Wanted to show the triple axle trailer required to haul that beast.
Ragoo
AG

Wanted to show the triple axle trailer required to haul that beast.
okay but the x26 is equally large. The evolution of mastercraft from the 1985 stars and stripes to the 2022 X26 is remarkable in itself.
saw em off

saw em off

MJ20/20
AG

Sea Speed
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.