Spectrum Internet - New Modem Not Talking to Existing Orbi Router

2,020 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chet98
chet98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spectrum in Austin sent me a new modem (didn't ask for it, current one seems fine). I guess they're updating everyone's hardward for improved reliability etc. but in trying to swap over to it last night it wouldn't push data to my Orbi router. I got online with their late night (10pm) tech support guy who was not overly helpful. We ended up hooking up the old modem again and working fine.

One thing he tried was to "register" my Orbi with Spectrum. That didn't work but would also have been the first time I've ever been asked to do that. When I set up my Orbi about a year ago it was with the current modem and was totally plug & play (one of the great things about that router) and I didn't speak to Spectrum, etc.

Anyone have any bright ideas? I know the above is vague. I don't give a crap about using the new modem except if by not using I'm at risk of downtime. Obviously can't have that with my wife and I both WFH and my h.s. freshman doing school remotely.
exitone
AG
chet98 said:

Spectrum in Austin sent me a new modem (didn't ask for it, current one seems fine). I guess they're updating everyone's hardward for improved reliability etc. but in trying to swap over to it last night it wouldn't push data to my Orbi router. I got online with their late night (10pm) tech support guy who was not overly helpful. We ended up hooking up the old modem again and working fine.

One thing he tried was to "register" my Orbi with Spectrum. That didn't work but would also have been the first time I've ever been asked to do that. When I set up my Orbi about a year ago it was with the current modem and was totally plug & play (one of the great things about that router) and I didn't speak to Spectrum, etc.

Anyone have any bright ideas? I know the above is vague. I don't give a crap about using the new modem except if by not using I'm at risk of downtime. Obviously can't have that with my wife and I both WFH and my h.s. freshman doing school remotely.
I have Spectrum as well as an Orbi router.
I dont lease their modem, so I cant help you in that regards. But I can tell you I purchased my own modem based off the approved list of modems that Spectrum supports (its on their website).
  • For the Orbi router, I never needed to register it with Spectrum. Didnt even know that was a thing.
  • For the modem, you do have to register it. I did it online and was quick and successful.

Can you try plugging your computer directly into the back of the new modem they sent you (bypassing the router completely), and see if you can get a connection that way. That would at least troubleshoot whether its the modem or interaction between the modem and Orbi router.
chet98
AG
Yeah I need to try that. I honestly don't care to move to the new one that much as long as nothing dramatic happens by not using their new one.
Bregxit
AG
Dumb question...did you try rebooting the Orbi system?
chet98
AG
Not a dumb question. I rebooted via the iPhone app. I didn't unplug the power and replug-in but the app reboot should have done the same thing I'd think.

Modem seemed to be pushing data...the "online" light or whatever on the modem was lit and the Spectrum IT guy showed the modem working.
chet98
AG
ARGH, got an email from them this morning saying that if we don't use the upgraded modem they'll "interrupt our service on or after March 12th". What kind of b.s. is this?
Bregxit
AG
chet98 said:

Not a dumb question. I rebooted via the iPhone app. I didn't unplug the power and replug-in but the app reboot should have done the same thing I'd think.

Modem seemed to be pushing data...the "online" light or whatever on the modem was lit and the Spectrum IT guy showed the modem working.

Have you tried logging in to the router via PC to see if it gives a better idea? The app is pretty lame for troubleshooting.
chet98
AG
Bregxit said:

chet98 said:

Have you tried logging in to the router via PC to see if it gives a better idea? The app is pretty lame for troubleshooting.
No that's a good idea too. I'm cataloging ideas at this point. Need to connect to the modem via ethernet to my laptop to confirm the modem's working too
Tomdoss92
AG
our spectrum modem was zapped by a storm a while back. went in for a painless replacement - drop in a box in the lobby, handed me a new one. about a minute in the store.

Took about 30 minutes on the phone with support to register the new modem via mac address or serial number or something which helpfully i noticed afterwards is also printed on your box. My modem is not easily accessible so this would have been nice to know. the Orbi took a while to sync as usual but all worked well eventually.
chet98
AG
Ah ha! This sounds very much like my scenario. How long was "a while" for your Orbi to sync. I was giving it like 10 minutes then getting pissed off
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.