New World (Amazon MMO)

8,440 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Pepe SiIvia
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I have been alpha testing New World, the upcoming MMO from Amazon Games, and I must say I very much like what I see. It is not your traditional hot button MMO like WoW or SWTOR, you have to aim your attacks, both melee and ranged, as well as time your doges and blocks.

Graphically the game is simply gorgeous. On my 2070S I get around 70-80 FPS on max settings and the world is so full of flora and fauna it seems real. Another thing I LOVE about the game is that almost anything you see out in the world can be harvested to use in something. Bushes, trees, water, even berries, fruits and veggies can be harvested for use in alchemy, cooking, etc.

My favorite aspect of the game so far is the fishing. It simulates real fishing in that you have to put bait on the line, and reel in the fish, not just click a button and you're done. There is also player housing, haven't reached that yet as it is very expensive and they keep resetting my character before I get enough money lol.

It still has some features I wish they'd introduce, like more customization for characters, the ability to grow our own crops, maybe smoke pip weeds (ie LOTRO). Overall though I am VERY excited for this game to release, also I have heard it is a buy and play game not a sub based MMO, which is always nice.
No matter what
WGann3
AG
Thanks for the write up. Been keeping the tiniest pulse on this one because it has some interesting ideas based on what I've seen here and there. Isn't it very PVP focused? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere... Big fan of the PVP.
All I do is Nguyen
PvP does seem to be a big part of the end game, especially when you invade other territories. So there are 3 factions in the game that you ally with, and those factions can control territories on the map, and those territories can be invaded by enemy factions who try and take control. Also, you gain XP from PvPing from what I've heard (again, my newest character is only level 11 right now).
No matter what
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

My favorite aspect of the game so far is the fishing. It simulates real fishing in that you have to put bait on the line, and reel in the fish, not just click a button and you're done. There is also player housing, haven't reached that yet as it is very expensive and they keep resetting my character before I get enough money lol.

It still has some features I wish they'd introduce, like more customization for characters, the ability to grow our own crops, maybe smoke pip weeds (ie LOTRO). Overall though I am VERY excited for this game to release, also I have heard it is a buy and play game not a sub based MMO, which is always nice.
Truly strange times we are living in.
kb2001
AG
I've been wondering when/if Amazon was actually going to start releasing games. My friend's studio was working on some Amazon games maybe 7 years ago and it was called off before it got going. They had just bought CryEngine and open sourced it, people assumed the intention was to build a service on AWS that took care of multi-player platform aspects, and mobile game management features. Good to see they finally got around to making stuff
Claude!
kb2001 said:

I've been wondering when/if Amazon was actually going to start releasing games. My friend's studio was working on some Amazon games maybe 7 years ago and it was called off before it got going. They had just bought CryEngine and open sourced it, people assumed the intention was to build a service on AWS that took care of multi-player platform aspects, and mobile game management features. Good to see they finally got around to making stuff
Looks like Amazon is finding it a lot harder to make games than they originally expected. They've canceled most of the major games they've had in development over the years, either before release or after a less than stellar beta/early release. Crucible, for example, was released in May of last year to little enthusiasm or critical acclaim; by October development had ceased and matchmaking was shut down in November.

Google experienced similar pains, to the extent that they actually closed down all of their first party developers earlier this year. The Google Stadia service is still up and running, but with the way that Google gets bored with its toys, I'm not hopeful that it has a long life ahead of it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
What is the in-game economy like? I played Star wars Galaxies and before the Jedi introduction ruined it, it had the best ever player driven economy.
KidDoc
AG
I'm a long time MMO fan- from Meridian 59 and Ultima Online then EQ, WoW, EQ2, etc etc. I'm currently playing Project 1999 EQ and still loving it almost a year after re-starting.

This interests me thanks for posting about it again- I will keep an eye on it!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
All I do is Nguyen
Shai-Hulud said:

What is the in-game economy like? I played Star wars Galaxies and before the Jedi introduction ruined it, it had the best ever player driven economy.
So far, the economy isn't crazy inflated, but then again they just wiped everyone's characters a few weeks ago. Honestly I spend my money a little carelessly because I know I am going to lose this character and any money it has, but still, rare or epic items (uses the traditional Green, blue, purple, orange scale) sell for quite a bit. Also, to the person asking about player housing, it is only 2500 to buy a house but you have to be level 20 to buy. I am currently 13 so once i get to 20 I will buy a house and let you know how it is. I do know you can furnish your house quite extensively so customization seems to be at the forefront of the game. You can also change the look of your armor and clothing using different color dyes you can gather throughout the game. There is one guild that has their members wear all white for their armor. Kind of creepy really, they look like a cult lol.

I will say that cooking in this game can help you farm for rares when gathering (skinning, mining, fishing etc.) because certain crafting recipes can increase your "luck" whatever that means, while gathering. There are SOOO many different recipes, for example I just unlocked a lemon poached salmon with Baked potato recipe (yes that is a real recipe). There are SOOO many ingredients too, from milk, eggs, to spice blends (saffron, salt pepper, etc.) it's like you are Gordon Ramsey in an MMO lol.

Its the same with Alchemy, you can make your own staves through alchemy. There are currently only Life and fire staves (life is a healing/life stealing, adn fire is obviously DPS), but I anticipate them adding more options. There has been a lot of people asking for arcane, frost, etc.

I am discovering all kinds of stuff as I keep leveling up, and will keep posting back as I make new discoveries.
No matter what
WGann3
AG
KidDoc said:

I'm a long time MMO fan- from Meridian 59 and Ultima Online then EQ, WoW, EQ2, etc etc. I'm currently playing Project 1999 EQ and still loving it almost a year after re-starting.

Not to hijack this thread, but have you played Project Gorgon on Steam? Believe it's still in early access, but I feel like it's potentially right up your alley.
KidDoc
AG
Nope but I will check it out thanks!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WGann3
AG
No problem. Never played it myself, but I check out their progress here and there because it looks like a really cool old school inspired project.
zip04
AG
Really enjoying the beta. Fun game you can sink hours into.
BadMoonRisin
AG
KidDoc said:

Where in Project 1999 is the content at this point?

I played EQ from release all the way until Planes of Power, but then my account got banned and i stopped playing all together. Not sure I have the time to invest in playing anymore, but the nostalgia factor might be worth it.
Bregxit
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

KidDoc said:

Where in Project 1999 is the content at this point?

I played EQ from release all the way until Planes of Power, but then my account got banned and i stopped playing all together. Not sure I have the time to invest in playing anymore, but the nostalgia factor might be worth it.

I think both servers are at Velious now. I just started on the green server 3 days ago. Definitely takes me back in time.
black_ice
Any updates fam?
KidDoc
AG
I have been goofing off with the beta just soloing and questing and trying different weapon combinations. It is pretty fun and very nice looking. I'm not sure how much depth it will have over time and if they can find a way to keep faction populations balanced somehow.

I have yet to do any grouping or pvp maybe I'll try to get into some tonight before they shut it down Monday.

I'm planning to go ice gauntlet with life staff with focusing stats on INT, focus, con.
zip04
AG
We will definitely need to coordinate which world everyone joins and then create a Texas Aggies company.
Teslag
AG
Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

Loved galaxies. Really wish they'd bring back another Star Wars mmo
Average Joe
AG
They have a fairly large update coming out soon, or just came out, for it. They have a small team, but never really stopped developing for it.
Madmarttigan
AG
Salute The Marines said:

Baron Von Flag Smasher said:

Loved galaxies. Really wish they'd bring back another Star Wars mmo

Swtor still going decently especially after being added to steam
javajaws
AG
I just don't see New World being a big hit anytime soon. The sad reality is that these MMO's take massive amounts of time to add content. Most new releases are just thin. And because all the die hard players hit them when they first come out they get rapidly bored....then server population takes a hit.

The challenge will be to add new content rapidly as well as fix/enhance what is already there. Not sure they can do that or not yet. The other alternative is to wait and release until enough content is added - doesn't sound like they have done that here.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Artorias
AG
New World is pretty janky. It is "okay" but not really better in any particular aspect than existing MMO's.

It will suffer the same fate as all other post-WoW MMO's (except for FF14), enjoy a decent population for a month or two, then massive population drop off as people lose interest.
YouBet
AG
If there is something in a game that turns me off it's fishing. Fishing in RDR2 was impossible for the trophy fish.
All I do is Nguyen
So now that the game has launched I wanted to bump this thread and give my initial thoughts.

I got to level 7 last night, after sitting in que for hours. I got in que around 6pm and finally was able to play around 8ish. So i started the que, made dinner, got the kids bed, etc.

Once I was in I noticed how much more streamlined everything is from the alpha and beta. The stats (Dex, Int, const, etc.) tell you exactly which weapons they affect which is nice. The combat is still fantastic. There was some noticeable latency issues in the tutorial area where you are solo against your former Captain. Once I was in the world though it went away. There are A LOT of players right now, but that is to be expected with Amazon's FIRST game and MMO.

I hope to get to maybe level 15 tonight and I'll update again.

P.S. one thing I love is that its buy and play, no subscription model.
No matter what
NewOldAg
AG
Still not sure about the end game, but that's a concern for just about all MMOs not named Eve Online.
KidDoc
AG
Yeah I'm enjoying it too, stayed up a bit too late last night and fighting through work but that happens sometimes.

I'm going life/hammer and liking at at lvl 12 or so now. I'm still kinda crafting everything but I think I'm going to focus on plate armor and cooking over time but who knows.

The first server the guild I'm in(OTG- Old Timer's Guild) picked ended up getting picked by several streamers so we changed servers after the first 12 hours because the Q was always 500+ people. Now I get no Q at all which is pretty nice.

It is a beautiful game and combat is pretty hectic, I am looking forward to getting into the wars and fort fights down the road as I really liked DAOC back in the day.
Average Joe
AG
DAOC. Wow. Haven't heard that name in a while. So many memories.
javajaws
AG
Started playing last night as well. No queue on the server I picked. Really enjoying it. Sure, it probably won't have enough content to last for too long, but without a monthly fee I see this as something I can come back to over time.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
KidDoc
AG
I dunno the end game of territory wars seems kinda fun to me, looking forward to it in the future.

All I do is Nguyen
I am going Rapier and Musket for now. I am also going to focus on crafting, especially fishing and cooking at rthe beginning.

I hear that focusing on woodworking is important too because it takes so dang long.

As for joining a company (guild), I may wait to see which companies have people stick around, and even if I am going to stick around, past the first few months.

I am level 12 now and hope to hit 20 soon. I told myself I wasn't doing any PvP until lvl 20. I saw a huge battle outside of our town (I joined the Marauders faction), and it made me want to join. I was too low level though and would have been killed instantly.
KidDoc
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I am going Rapier and Musket for now. I am also going to focus on crafting, especially fishing and cooking at rthe beginning.

I hear that focusing on woodworking is important too because it takes so dang long.

As for joining a company (guild), I may wait to see which companies have people stick around, and even if I am going to stick around, past the first few months.

I am level 12 now and hope to hit 20 soon. I told myself I wasn't doing any PvP until lvl 20. I saw a huge battle outside of our town (I joined the Marauders faction), and it made me want to join. I was too low level though and would have been killed instantly.
I don't know the details but I know there is some sort of scaling for open world PVP so you should not get insta-gibbed by higher levels. Of course you will not have the same abilities or passives yet.
black_ice
What server y'all on fam?
KidDoc
AG
black_ice said:

What server y'all on fam?
I'm on Hy-Brasil syndicate. Never have a Q to get on, OTG-Theta owns Windsward at the moment.
Ark03
AG
NewOldAg said:

Still not sure about the end game, but that's a concern for just about all MMOs not named Eve Online.
Do you play Eve? I think I've seen exactly one other person on Texags who does, and I don't know anyone in real life who does.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.