Diablo 2: Resurrected

20,388 Views | 245 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cromagnum
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Installed old school Diablo 2 for the hell of it
WGann3
AG
tv1113 said:

Installed old school Diablo 2 for the hell of it
I usually dive back in yearly to do something D2 related whether it's hop on for a ladder reset or play one of the hot mods like Project Diablo 2, but I've avoided it all year to try and make my D2R experience as fresh as possible. I can't put into message board words how pumped I am for this.
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm curious how much rampant botting, duping, pick it, and map hacking there will be in D2R. I'm also curious to see what a Diablo 2 looks like without all of it lol.
WGann3
AG
tv1113 said:

I'm curious how much rampant botting, duping, pick it, and map hacking there will be in D2R. I'm also curious to see what a Diablo 2 looks like without all of it lol.
I feel like we'll at least get a season of fairly bot free play. From there who knows. It's Diablo, there's going to be botting, I just hope they're able to keep at least somewhat under control for a while. I think a somewhat bot free environment will bring back some of the charm of the really useful but maybe not BiS items like Skullder's, Vipermagi, Shaftstop etc...
Civen
AG
WGann3 said:

tv1113 said:

I feel like we'll at least get a season of fairly bot free play. From there who knows. It's Diablo, there's going to be botting, I just hope they're able to keep at least somewhat under control for a while. I think a somewhat bot free environment will bring back some of the charm of the really useful but maybe not BiS items like Skullder's, Vipermagi, Shaftstop etc...
Only problem with that is that endgame (annis, torches, etc) is tuned for the BiS level stuff. Even with the better drop rates, runes are still way to hard to come by
Madmarttigan
AG
I just really hope they don't keep this game stagnant and start releasing new updates. The hammerdin/sorc meta gets boring at a certain point and would really like things to change. Honestly I preferred the cow level days where I had 3 or 4 really strong characters that could destroy things. Had an amazing bowazon, lightning nova sorc, ww barb, and a decent zealer that could all handle their own.

Immunities and weird synergy builds that don't quite work for every character at this point dulled the game, but I still love it.
WGann3
AG
tv1113 said:

I just really hope they don't keep this game stagnant and start releasing new updates. The hammerdin/sorc meta gets boring at a certain point and would really like things to change. Honestly I preferred the cow level days where I had 3 or 4 really strong characters that could destroy things. Had an amazing bowazon, lightning nova sorc, ww barb, and a decent zealer that could all handle their own.

Immunities and weird synergy builds that don't quite work for every character at this point dulled the game, but I still love it.
I think I'm with you on updates. I think I'd like to see them roll out the first season just as 1.14d is, but once that season is over start to update moving forward. Even if it's just some balancing efforts. I'd love to see some of the uniques that were super useful in the 1.09 and earlier LoD days like Doombringer, Grandfather, Windforce, Hellslayer, Shaeffer's, Baranar's etc.. make a comeback and be as useful as the OP runewords. I'm not anti-runewords by any means, I really enjoyed that added content but they just crushed some of the items I loved. Would love to have them at least be in the ballpark with the runewords to create a little more variety.
Madmarttigan
AG
The day I got a wind force on my Amazon was amazing.
WGann3
AG
My favorite legacy Diablo item of all time. I'll probably go out of my way to make an underpowered Bowazon who uses one just for nostalgia's sake. May be trickier to actually source one if they're able to limit the botting, which is a good thing.
WGann3
AG
So the Arreat Summit may have just been replaced for me after 20+ years of service...

https://diablo2.io/

EDIT to say, the rune filter is magical... At the 1st link below, click the rune and socket tab and you can filter runewords based on runes you have. So for example, the 2nd link below shows everything Cham goes into.

https://diablo2.io/runewords/

https://diablo2.io/runewords/#filter=Cham
WGann3
AG
Nice update from the devs on what they've done with their technical alpha feedback. All good things IMO.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo2/23695734/technical-alpha-learnings
DallasTeleAg
Too lazy to go through all the links in the thread. My main question is, will they use the same loot method as Diablo 3 where all drops you see are for your character?

I never got into pushing a character in D2 because you would go through all that trouble and someone else would snag all the gear. Such a stupid mechanic that many just cheated on.
WGann3
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Too lazy to go through all the links in the thread. My main question is, will they use the same loot method as Diablo 3 where all drops you see are for your character?

I never got into pushing a character in D2 because you would go through all that trouble and someone else would snag all the gear. Such a stupid mechanic that many just cheated on.
Not going to be personal loot like D3, free for all like D2 has always been.
Cromagnum
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah, which is why I almost never played with randos.
Civen
AG
Cromagnum said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah, which is why I almost never played with randos.
xp in public baal runs
loot in private bot runs
Madmarttigan
AG
I may have somewhat ruined this by going back and playing again. The balance really is terrible and kind of can't believe it hasn't been changed in so long. Really limits the fun of making abunch of characters when hammerdin/sorc are just so much better.
Formerly tv1113
WGann3
AG
Closed beta for those who pre-ordered going down this weekend for all of you who aren't protesting Blizzard products.
Hagen95
AG
tv1113 said:

I may have somewhat ruined this by going back and playing again. The balance really is terrible and kind of can't believe it hasn't been changed in so long. Really limits the fun of making abunch of characters when hammerdin/sorc are just so much better.
Spoilers!

Yeah, I'm sure I'll end up with the same chars I always ended up with (already planning sorc for this weekend)
and will eventually get burnt out on runs, but I'm needing something to play this fall.
AtlAg05
AG
Hagen95 said:

tv1113 said:

Spoilers!

Yeah, I'm sure I'll end up with the same chars I always ended up with (already planning sorc for this weekend)
and will eventually get burnt out on runs, but I'm needing something to play this fall.

Just wait until launch like me, it's only a month away.
Cromagnum
AG
Guess I'll roll a fire druid for the beta since it gets no love end game.
WGann3
AG
I didn't get into the Tech Alpha so this my first chance to actually play and I can't get over how visually incredible this game looks. The attention to detail on everything is awesome. And I'm on a 3 year old gaming laptop playing on medium settings.
Cromagnum
AG
At least folks won't have to worry about ladder only items anymore. This is a great change.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/diablo-ii-resurrected-ladder-patch-update/41016
WGann3
AG
Cromagnum said:

At least folks won't have to worry about ladder only items anymore. This is a great change.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/diablo-ii-resurrected-ladder-patch-update/41016

Yeah this is a great move, especially since they said ladder isn't going to be there right at launch.
XXXVII
So dumb they aren't balancing the characters better. Jt would add so much variety to the game to actually have all characters be strong with the right build.
Madmarttigan
AG
XXXVII said:

So dumb they aren't balancing the characters better. Jt would add so much variety to the game to actually have all characters be strong with the right build.

Basically waiting for them to do this before I go in heavy for a ladder season
WGann3
AG
XXXVII said:

They haven't ruled this out. They said they'll launch with the same patch normal D2 is on (with some bug fixes already announced) and then see how it goes. I won't be surprised at all if they do some balancing after the first season to keep it somewhat fresh.
AtlAg05
AG
I never played ladder, how does it work?
Cromagnum
AG
AtlAg05 said:

I never played ladder, how does it work?

Old way is that everyone starts fresh and races to max level. There are items and runewords that only drop/work on ladder, but you keep them after the season ends.

New way is that ladder and normal online have the same items. I guess the new ladder is only a race for now.
WGann3
AG
Besides the race to 99 which at this point in my life does absolutely nothing for me, I would add that the new ladder seasons are more importantly a fresh item economy. Ladder characters and non-ladder characters cannot play together. So once a ladder season ends, those characters and their gear are dumped into the non-ladder realm.
AtlAg05
AG
WGann3 said:

Besides the race to 99 which at this point in my life does absolutely nothing for me, I would add that the new ladder seasons are more importantly a fresh item economy. Ladder characters and non-ladder characters cannot play together. So once a ladder season ends, those characters and their gear are dumped into the non-ladder realm.

Got it, so similar to D3 seasons.
Eliminatus
AG
tv1113 said:

Same boat. Think I honestly talked myself out of D2R at this point.

D2 was amazing and defined the genre for so long but man, not sure it keeps up today in my mind. Kinda didn't want a completely faithful remake tbh. I mean, I played myself out years ago. A few OP builds that made everything else boring to me. I like where the genre is now with stuff like Grim Dawn. Not sure if I can go back to the old ways.
AtlAg05
AG
From one of Rhykker's videos, it sounded like they were going to keep people on the game as a live game, meaning they will be making changes. The devs wanted to focus on doing the remake correctly and then go from there.

It's possible that those balances will happen and there was even talk of an Act 6. But who knows at this point.
Hagen95
AG
I'm preloaded and ready to go. Who is forming the 8 man group to start this off right?
AtlAg05
AG
Will Rush 4 Forge!
MaroonedInCS
Is the old D3 clan getting back together for this?

txag, 2k, willmunny, <3. -Wreck. (BT Loopkiller#1331)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.