Diablo 2: Resurrected

20,308 Views | 245 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cromagnum
WGann3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just in case you guys somehow missed it, Diablo 2 is being remastered and is releasing in 2021. A very reliable leaker on Reddit dropped some info yesterday that all of the smoke in the last month about this being made was actually going to lead to some fire today. So I tuned into the digital Blizzcon event and he nailed every detail, and sure enough, Diablo 2: Resurrected was their big announcement.

And let me just say that I am HYPED. This is an almost 1:1 remaster of the original game, but with some very minor quality of life additions. Shared stash, auto gold pickup, and item comparisons are some of the examples of this. If you're skeptical because of the disaster Warcraft 3 Reforged was, I get it. But this is being done by Vicarious Visions (recently rolled into Blizzard) who is an extremely well respected studio that was responsible for the recent Tony Hawk and Crash Bandicoot remasters that are fantastic.

Links to the official website, trailer, and the Vicarious Visions developers deep dive are below. I would highly recommend checking out the deep dive, I got chill bumps no less than 20 times watching that. Diablo 2 is my favorite game of all time. I'm 34 now, so vanilla D2 hit when I was 14 and I was there for day 1 after discovering Diablo 1 a bit late but loved it. I had my 9 month old strapped to my chest watching all of this unfold today and all I could think was this may keep me interested long enough to be able to play this with him in a decade, it looks that good. See you guys in Sanctuary some time in 2021!

Official Website

Official Trailer

Deep Dive Video (45 Minutes)

Diablo Q&A (34 minutes) (Hits on D2:R, D4, and Immortal)
Ag_of_08
AG
If it happens the right way.... thank gods, it's about effing time....

I see baal runs for daaaaaaays
BenFiasco14
AG
Hell yes. Diablo 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
anonymousAg05
AG
It better have the cow level!
YouBet
AG
I guess I'm the only guy in history that abandoned this game after enjoying Diablo 1.
FatZilla
AG
Doubt 2021 tbh, pre/early Alpha signups aren't even open yet and its blizzard. This has 2022 written all over it.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
WGann3
AG
Haha, a rare breed indeed, but there are definitely some of you out there. For as popular as D2 was and still is today, it wasn't just given a bunch of perfect 10 scores by the handful of digital gaming publications out there at the time. I think IGN gave it like an 8.3 or something if I remember right. It has plenty of flaws and changed quite a bit from the original.
WGann3
AG
FatZilla said:

Doubt 2021 tbh, pre/early Alpha signups aren't even open yet and its blizzard. This has 2022 written all over it.

I could see the console releases dragging but after what I saw I'll be very surprised if this isn't done in 2021 for PC which is all I care about. And Technical Alpha signups are open.
Cappo
Madmarttigan
AG
yup im going to be divorced
Formerly tv1113
Madmarttigan
AG
do we have any idea what patch it will represent?
Formerly tv1113
WGann3
AG
Yep, they confirmed in their Q&A yesterday it will be the current 1.14 patch. I'll add a link to that to my original post.

Rob Gallerani (Lead Designer from Vicarious Visions that was just rolled into Blizzard) stated they want this initial launch to be as close to the current state of Diablo 2 as possible. But the way he said it gave me serious vibes that they're open to balancing and updating going forward. Can't remember his exact wording but he basically said we're going to launch with 1.14, run a full 3 month ladder season, then reassess everything.
Cromagnum
AG
Sweet!
The Fife
I'm in so long as it still runs good on my sweet Athlon XP rig!
Ag_of_08
AG
That would be extremely nice, and kind of indicates they're hoping to support the game going forward.
FatZilla
AG
Without any type of skill/synergy/resistances rebalance, the game will still be boring as hell with 1-2 cookie cutter builds per class if even that. That's the whole reason PD2 and others are very popular, and right now they said they have no plans to rebalance anything skill/synergy/resistances wise. I don't want adding/removing of skills, just number changes so endgame builds can actually be diverse and allow people to actually play something like a poison necro or bowazon in hell and kill stuff like the cookie cutter builds do.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
Cromagnum
AG
Some tweaks need to be made for sure. Nothing like running in hell and finding mobs immune to everything your build specialized in.
WGann3
AG
In the Q&A I linked, Rob actually left the door open for rebalancing and updates. He made it very clear, their initial plan is to launch this thing as faithful to the current state of Diablo 2 as possible. He said they'll run a 3 month season (shortening seasons to 3 months instead of 6) based on the current 1.14 patch and then take a look at how things went and go from there. I get a serious vibe that this thing is being made for the long haul and they plan on updating it.

I agree they need to give some useless skills and items a bit of a makeover and I'm fairly optimistic that may be in the cards, just not at launch.

Cromagnum
AG
Looks like I'll either be rolling a hammerdin or windy druid to start until they make big changes.
benMath08
AG
I played a TON of this back in high school. That said, I'm worried about the game not holding up today.

I'm definitely not looking forward to immune monsters on hell difficulty, and the item grind is LONG without bots and dupers flooding the market with items. Fans of both D3 and PoE are used to creating pretty powerful characters and I think it will take hundreds and hundreds of hours to get a character to a similar feeling in D2.
WGann3
AG
I'll be rolling the cliche MF Sorc of some sort right off the bat. It just feels right. The bigger question is what do I want to roll to pair with her... I might let the MF run results make the decision for me, but the Paladin has always been my favorite. Zealer, smiter, hammerdin... I love them all. I had a holy fire Pally in D2 Vanilla that was pretty hilarious. It was pretty viable if my memory isn't failing me.
Cromagnum
AG
It's a different beast for sure. I played way more D2 over the years than D3.
benMath08
AG
I just realized they aren't implementing personalized loot (like D3). Honestly feels painful even thinking about it.
WGann3
AG
benMath08 said:

I just realized they aren't implementing personalized loot (like D3). Honestly feels painful even thinking about it.
I wasn't kidding about the almost 100% 1:1 remaster. Beyond the shared stash, auto gold pickup, and item comparisons I don't know that anything else is changing with the gameplay, for better or worse. While I do think it's possible and honestly even likely we see some balancing patches in the future, I don't think something like personal loot is ever going to be changed for D2. It's one of those quirks that's going to be very divisive in the player base, but I've always just considered it part of the D2 experience. I won't argue it could be looked at as very annoying though.
FatZilla
AG
Unless they make balance changes in alpha/beta, this is just a $40 lipstick on a pig facelift for the game we already own.
WGann3
AG
If that's all this is to you, I wouldn't buy it. They aren't making balance changes in alpha/beta so you might as well hold off until after season 1 to see what they do from there which may be nothing. They can have my $39.99, I'd no joke pay hundreds of dollars for this.
Hagen95
AG
I signed up for the alpha. My ice sorceress is ready for action.
BenFiasco14
AG
Hagen95 said:

Same here.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Decay
AG
anonymousAg05 said:

It better have the cow level!
there is no cow level
tamusc
AG
Hammerdin time

Cromagnum
AG
tamusc said:

Hammerdin time

Haven't played since some of the changes took place but I know there are magic/physical immune monsters now that puts a kink in the hammerdin overpowerdness where nothing used to be immune to hammers.
WGann3
AG
Not gonna lie, I hopped onto d2jsp last night after I got the kids down to get a refresher on some 1.14d builds in preparation for this thing that may still be up to 9 months out. This announcement has caused a steady drip of nostalgia right into my veins.
FatZilla
AG
WGann3 said:

If that's all this is to you, I wouldn't buy it. They aren't making balance changes in alpha/beta so you might as well hold off until after season 1 to see what they do from there which may be nothing. They can have my $39.99, I'd no joke pay hundreds of dollars for this.
When you have been playing PD2 for months now, yes, that is all it is.
WGann3
AG
FatZilla said:

WGann3 said:

When you have been playing PD2 for months now, yes, that is all it is.
Right on, keep enjoying PD2 then. They aren't pulling a WC3R and getting rid of old school D2 so I don't think the accessibility to PD2 is going to become any sort of issue for new players. I've farted around with the other major D2 mods - MedianXL, PoD, Slashdiablo, and enjoyed them all to different degrees. I've heard PD2 is solid, it gets shilled nonstop on Reddit. But after my time spent on all of those, I wind up saying man that was fun but I really wish I could get some sort of update that is Blizzard official. And here we go, it's coming finally.
Predmid
AG
Hagen95 said:

Gaaah. I hated that build because so many things in act5 hell exp. runs were cold immune.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.