Starlink - Anyone else get a subscription request?

46,614 Views | 402 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 5C
WhoopN06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there anyone that is using the RV service for home use? If so what area of Texas are you using it?

Anyone have home service located on the I45 corridor south of Dallas?
CowtownAg06
AG
Pricing up another $10. Still the best option, but probably going to be the norm.
lexofer
AG
Tomorrow is my 2nd anniversary of signing up for the Starlink wait list as soon as it opened. Got an offer for "deprioritized" internet a few weeks ago. It said 5-50 mbps during high usage times but in reality it constantly goes out and streaming TV randomly buffers throughout the day.

I thought it would be better than my old internet which gives me 2-15 mbps and goes out 10-15 minutes at a time once every few days but at least when it's working I can watch tv uninterrupted. It also still has a cap which really sucks but nothing I can do about that now.

I guess since I already took the time to install Starlink I'll pause service and leave the equipment there until they expand service in my area and I can get on the regular plan. Hopefully it doesn't suck as much or have even more price increases. Pretty disappointed in the whole ordeal.
dtkprowler
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Pricing up another $10. Still the best option, but probably going to be the norm.
Yeah, I am going to give Tmobile another try. Was awful a year ago but supposedly they have upgraded. So if it meets my needs for $50/month (actually drops to $30/month with Tmobile cell lines).

$120/month is hard to swallow when it isn't performing lights out like other areas of the state are. But they obviously oversold my area. So I got subpar performance and now getting charged more for it. Pretty disappointing. Turning into the ISP provider we all hoped we weren't getting.

Will report back when the Tmobile unit arrives. Will either return the Starlink unit for $250 or try and transfer it on here IF tmobile is useable.
CowtownAg06
AG
I will say in my area it's pretty lights out. I'm not there 100% of the time but can steam YTTV and WFH with multiple data feeds pretty well.
dtkprowler
AG
I am definitely switching fully over to T-Mobile and returning my Dish to Starlink for the $250 refund. Tmobile has greatly improved over the last year in my area and get's better speeds and ping and stabilty(so far) than starlink ever did.

I do still have the ethernet port/adapter thing if anyone needs one of those. Just let me know!
txyaloo
AG
dtkprowler said:

I am definitely switching fully over to T-Mobile and returning my Dish to Starlink for the $250 refund. Tmobile has greatly improved over the last year in my area and get's better speeds and ping and stabilty(so far) than starlink ever did.

I do still have the ethernet port/adapter thing if anyone needs one of those. Just let me know!
Nextlink is now offering 400/40 in my area for $125 w/no contract. I signed my parents up yesterday. Will give it a month after theirs gets installed to see how things work out before ditching SL myself. It's not worth it with the latest price increase, return to slow peak speeds, and relatively slow uploads
dtkprowler
AG
txyaloo said:

dtkprowler said:

Nextlink is now offering 400/40 in my area for $125 w/no contract. I signed my parents up yesterday. Will give it a month after theirs gets installed to see how things work out before ditching SL myself. It's not worth it with the latest price increase, return to slow peak speeds, and relatively slow uploads
That's a great price compared to where SL is at right now (at least in my area).

I'm getting 180-190 down and 10-15ish up on Tmobile and it is currently only $30/month because we also switched our 2 phones over to it. No contracts either. Glad to see options are opening up for folks where there were none before! Even with the pains of having to wait and pay for starlink. Glad we are getting options!
lb3
AG
Got any friends in Canada that could place an order?

$199 looneys is <$150 usd.

BMo
I have had the Starlink RV (original plan name) for about 10 months now. How long can the equipment be returned for any refund?
ausag
AG
So just received news today that I can place my order out in Liberty Hill. I've been eagerly waiting since 3/21 when I made my deposit. Now after reading some of your feedback the past year, I'm not completely sold on its reliability.

I'm currently paying $95 for consistent speeds of 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up on a point to point wireless solution.

I'm thinking of giving it a try for 30 days at bare minimum, but am afraid it won't show its true colors till after that time. At that point I'll be out of getting a full refund.

How are things operating for folks closer to my area?
txyaloo
AG
ausag said:

So just received news today that I can place my order out in Liberty Hill. I've been eagerly waiting since 3/21 when I made my deposit. Now after reading some of your feedback the past year, I'm not completely sold on its reliability.

I'm currently paying $95 for consistent speeds of 30Mbps down and 10Mbps up on a point to point wireless solution.

I'm thinking of giving it a try for 30 days at bare minimum, but am afraid it won't show its true colors till after that time. At that point I'll be out of getting a full refund.

How are things operating for folks closer to my area?
North Burnet Co for me. I've probably been the biggest complainer on here about SL. This area is very saturated. Your speeds will be significantly faster during non-peak times. Likely over 100/10. During peak (~5p-11p), your speeds will be similar or a bit slower.

You'll likely want to keep your fixed wireless as a backup if you work from home or really rely on internet. Mine goes out most rain storms and SL has had some global outages the last few months.

Have you looked into Nextlink? They've been expanding like crazy in the county and offer 500mbps plans in some areas
clinte234
AG
Bump of an older thread…wasn't sure if this was the big Nerdery Starlink thread or not.

I've had Starlink for about 2 years now in Robertson County. For the most part it has been great (or at least better than the alternatives where I'm at!)

Thursday evening it shut off and I haven't been able to get it to reconnect.

I've checked all of my cables and connections. Crawled up on the roof and unplugged/plugged back in the dish, got in the attic to make sure the cable was in one piece…no luck finding a problem.

Everything at the router seems to be working. I typically have it bypassed through an Eero6 system, but took that off and am just trying to go through the Starlink router so I can use the app to troubleshoot and place a call ticket. I'm not confident in hearing anything back from Starlink anytime soon.

It almost seems like the dish died, but I'm not sure how to test it. As far as I remember there are no lights on the dish…just one small light on the bottom of the SL router.

I also rebooted the system multiple times.

Any other ideas I'm not thinking about?

Basically getting something like this:

Nagler
AG
Same issue in NE Harris county. We left out of town Thursday afternoon and it was working. Showed back up today and it's not working. Showing the same issues as yours. I've check the connections and unplugged it multiple times. I've submitted a ticket with them, we'll see how long it takes for them to reply.
clinte234
AG
Interesting. I checked with a few neighbors around us that also have Starlink and they are having no issues which was leading me to believe it was maybe a hardware issue. I'll try to update this when we find out more!
clinte234
AG
Well...I gave up on Starlink about 4pm yesterday because I still hadn't heard anything. Went ahead and got things set up with Rise, who we had prior to Starlink, it's not great, but it is better than nothing.

Wouldn't you know it...I got my first message from Starlink about 6pm letting me know they have already mailed out all new equipment. I need to install it all and send the other stuff back.
Nagler
AG
I ended up buying a new cord on Amazon because my wife works from home. I checked it yesterday with a new cord and it worked so the old cord was the issue.

Finally got an email back from Starlink this morning and they're shipping us a router and cord. Really unhelpful.
5C
AG
Anyone have star link in NE Texas? Curious about actual speeds and customer service

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.