Starlink - Anyone else get a subscription request?

46,635 Views | 402 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 5C
jetescamilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Starlink's Better Than Nothing Beta program is now available in your area.
As you can tell from the name, we are trying to lower your initial expectations
Users can expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.
As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021.
The Starlink phased-array user terminal, which is more advanced than what's in fighter jets, plus mounting tripod and wifi router, costs $499 and the monthly subscription costs $99.
To request an invitation to participate, please click the button below and update your service address.
I put my email in some time ago keeping my hopes to a minimum. Today I got this in my email today. I live in Alaska and paying only $99/mo is much better for these speeds than the current $164 I pay for my unlimited data plan. We don't have a lot of options here so having another player is going to be nice.

https://www.starlink.com/
tfunk02
AG
They said they are working their way South, so I doubt there are many on here that will get into the beta until it seriously hits Texas. This is the first I have heard of anyone in Texas getting it.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/spacex-will-offer-free-starlink-internet-to-texas-school-district-families/

You're a lucky SOB! I'm dying for some StarLink. My 3rd party AT&T service is getting cutoff on the 12th and I'm scrambling for anything else now.
hph6203
AG
I signed up for my parents, I'm not expecting Texas latitudes until February or March.
TAMUallen
AG
Unless you're bordering Canada, it'll be a long while
Shooz in Katy
AG
44 north latitude is the bottom of the beta band. That's middle of South Dakota, we in Missouri are hoping the beta band extends soon to us. We have a Starlink ground station relay about 20 miles from our house. They are putting 120 of the 500lb satellites into low earth orbit every month.

Hopefully sooner than later we rural people will finally get great internet. The whole world is supposed to have service by 2024. I signed up in the email distro a few days ago. Fingers crossed. I'd pay $200/mo for good internet. 10mbps ADSL is horrible with a family of 5.
hph6203
AG
Pre-orders went live today. $99 deposit, remainder due when the system ships. Said mid to late 2021 for a Texas address when I signed up.
dtkprowler
AG
hph6203 said:

Pre-orders went live today. $99 deposit, remainder due when the system ships. Said mid to late 2021 for a Texas address when I signed up.

I pre ordered mine here in Texas! Hope it gets here faster than they say but it's my only solid option for our house to be completed ~July
MaroonBloodedAg2010
Got signed up for my pre-order. I've gone so long where cell service with mediocre signal has been the best option, I can't wait to get to have quality internet.
tfunk02
AG
I signed up for two houses last night around 10PM. I can't wait to get away from cell and fixed wireless crap service.

jetescamilla, how has the beta been for you? You must be at the southern tip of Alaska after looking at where the satellites go. They don't cover most of Alaska yet. https://satellitemap.space/
hph6203
AG
El_duderino
Aren't you near brazos county as well?
double aught
AG
I have no need for this in the city, but it's pretty cool. Hope it's a moneymaker for SpaceX, so they can continue to do great things.
tfunk02
AG
Yes, I'm near the border of Burleson and Brazos county on the Brazos county side.
El_duderino
I'm right across the river then and have rise broadband. I couldn't find pricing on starlink, there was just an order now button when I put in my address?
tfunk02
AG
I'm on rise now as well 25 down 4 up.I get some pretty bad packet loss, but can stream videos decently.

Starlink is a $99 refundable deposit now. It should be out mid to late this year.
$500 for the equipment when it is available (deposit will go towards this).
Service is $99/month.
dtkprowler
AG
Right now my only option is att dsl at 12 mbps and that is when I'm home alone on a good day. Most of the time I'm lucky to get 5 or 6 down. It's brutal. Really hopeful starlink expands quicker than they say and gives me modern internet speeds
El_duderino
I'm assuming you own the equipment once you pay the $500?
tamusc
AG
hph6203 said:

The speeds he got (~130 mbps down/ ~30 mbps up) smoke what my folks get on their WISP that costs more than Starlink and the pings he got in game (~45ms in CSGO) were nuts.

Crazy thing is that those speeds and pings should get even better as satellite coverage improves.
hph6203
AG
My parents currently don't have home service. The LTE service is too inconsistent as currently set up and my dad has quit trying to improve it. They're about $1000 in investments to get better service (it helps with phone service, so not a total loss).

They've been without any real home internet service for about 10 years now. This would be pretty big for them.
tfunk02
AG
You are correct.
Bregxit
AG
tamusc said:

hph6203 said:

The speeds he got (~130 mbps down/ ~30 mbps up) smoke what my folks get on their WISP that costs more than Starlink and the pings he got in game (~45ms in CSGO) were nuts.

Crazy thing is that those speeds and pings should get even better as satellite coverage improves.

Keep in mind he is up in Vancouver. Gonna be a while before Texas sees those results.
hph6203
AG
This year. That's their statement when you pre-order. Whether or not they hit it I'm not sure, but so far they've been pretty on schedule with beta roll-outs and coverage. They've launched 1100 satellites so far, and will have another ~1400 by the end of the year.

Capacity is the limiting factor right now, so whether or not you can actually get a subscription is what gives me doubt it will be this year, not the coverage or the speed if you do get a subscription. They've had those speeds in the northern latitudes since September when they had half as many satellites in orbit.

The other concern is consistency of coverage, because coverage will cut in/out as satellites fly over. I'm guessing that is more of a beta issue and they'll wait for fuller coverage for actual subscriptions.

Having waited close to 10 years to find a viable solution for my parents another 6-12 months isn't long.
kyledr04
AG
If/when this work on East TX, I'm moving farther out in the country
Stat Monitor Repairman
Lol!
El_duderino
Went ahead with the preorder. Tired of unannounced outages and zero timeframe in regards to service returning from Rise broadband.
tamusc
AG
Oooh, it's letting me preorder for my parent's address now. Need to have that conversation with them.
dtkprowler
AG

Things about to get good!!!
tfunk02
AG
BUT when is it getting to Texas? I thought with SpaceX being in S.TX and Elon pretty much living here, it would be quick.
El_duderino
I wonder if I can use my old directv satellite base with the pipe adapter from starlink
tamusc
AG
tfunk02 said:

BUT when is it getting to Texas? I thought with SpaceX being in S.TX and Elon pretty much living here, it would be quick.
Later this year. They need a larger constellation of satellites to provide that level of performance at lower latitudes, which is why they're working north to south. It'll probably launch in Texas </rimshot> at higher speeds than what people are seeing as well.
hph6203
AG
According to the Starlink subreddit they currently have beta testers/subscribers as south as the northern edge of Oklahoma. Lowest latitude so far is 36.9. It's gonna get to Texas by mid-summer I bet, but getting in is gonna be a wait.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
We got the email last week to order our equipment. We are in dfw
hph6203
AG
For the $99 deposit or the $500 equipment cost?
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
hph6203 said:

For the $99 deposit or the $500 equipment cost?

Just the deposit now. The rest when they ship the equipment (which could take up to 6 months).
tamusc
AG
Aggie1944s Kid said:

We got the email last week to order our equipment. We are in dfw
Nice!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.