Finally looking into cutting the cord....

5,630 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fig96
cashag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently have Comcast Triple Play here in Houston area, and I get sick to my stomach every month the bill comes due knowing there are other more affordable options. We never use the home phone, so I really don't care about the land line we have, and my teen & tween daughters never watch cable TV. We already have Netflix, HBO Now, and Amazon Prime Video, but we do want local news channels, and of course I want to be able to watch live sports. I work from home as does my wife, so we need fast internet, we currently have 175Mb/s service from Comcast, so I don't want anything less than that. It seems Hulu and YouTube TV are the two most popular options right now followed by Sling. What do you guys think is the best bang for my buck?
AtlAg05
AG
Get a cheap HD antenna and never look back. Gets you t he local channels and then some.
jm94
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Get a cheap HD antenna and never look back. Gets you t he local channels and then some.
I so wish I could do this, but I must live on the other side of a hill from the broadcast stations, because I get maybe four channels. I've tried several different antennae.
Aggieangler93
AG
I'm not in the Houston area, but I cut the cord about 6 months ago. We have Prime video, YoutubeTV (for all Aggie sports), HULU, and Netflix. We mainly use Amazon Fire Sticks for connecting to the TVs. You need decent internet speed, depending on how many folks you have connected at once.

I like it so far. Hulu had a helluva deal around black Friday for something like 7.99 a month, so I added it. We were originally just going to go with Youtube TV.

My advice is this.....looking at your criteria, whatever "live sports" you like, will most likely determine what package best fits your needs. Do some research based on that. There is a stickied thread about something similar on the baseball board, if that helps.

I mostly watch the Aggies, so the need for SEC+ pushed me to YoutubeTV.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
YouBet
AG
I've posted on this topic more times than I can count and I've never pulled the plug and I simply can't. It's all too f'ing unreliable. Everything about it.

The latest problem I have is that my flagship f'ing LG OLED TV can no longer connect to my router. Flat out doesn't even see my network as of Super Bowl Sunday. Apparently, this is relatively common issue for LG TV's now. So, if I cut the cord that TV is dead in the water and it's our primary TV. I've tried all the tricks online that I could find from user forums to no avail. My only remaining option is go into router settings and start f'ing with the router which I'm extremely risk averse to do since AT&T hardware is a sh^tshow with all of their firmware fiascos. I will probably screw something up for the whole house and I just can't risk that.

Regardless, that rant is moot because when I even attempt to look at the more advanced settings for my router I can't because it doesn't recognize my access code which is taken DIRECTLY FROM THE F'ING TAG ON THE ROUTER!!! So, somehow my access code which I've never used one time and have no reason to change anyway BECAUSE IT'S DIRECTLY ON THE ROUTER is not recognized.

Thus, I will be staying with DTV for the foreseeable future. Also, PQ is significantly differnt between DTV and Hulu TV in particular with the former being noticeably better WHEN I COULD CONNECT. Will be the last holdout on sat TV, I guess.
chigger
AG
Can't you get a Roku or Fire stick if the tv won't connect? I wouldn't let a $39 fix stand in the way.

We've been cable/Sat free for 2 years now and have not regretted it for even 1 second.
aggie_wes
AG
This. Get a Roku or a fire stick.
permabull
AG
Ribeye-Rare
AG
jm94 said:

AtlAg05 said:

I so wish I could do this, but I must live on the other side of a hill from the broadcast stations, because I get maybe four channels. I've tried several different antennae.

The antennas you've tried - indoor, outdoor in attic, or outdoor on roof/eave?

If you've got either the attic or outdoor setup, put an antenna pre-amplifier on it, like the Channel Master CM7778. That can make a huge difference.
YouBet
AG
chigger said:

Can't you get a Roku or Fire stick if the tv won't connect? I wouldn't let a $39 fix stand in the way.

We've been cable/Sat free for 2 years now and have not regretted it for even 1 second.
Yes, I guess I can do that, but I f'ing shouldn't have to for a top of the line f'ing smart TV!!!!!!!

edit: Oh, wait. I can't do that easily because it's wall mounted and the f'ing HDMI inputs are not on the side. And I can't physically remove the tv from the mount by myself so I'll have to call someone over to do it.

God, I f'ing hate electronics and internet bullsh^t now.
kb2001
AG
I've been on and off again for several years. We just have local TV OTA, and get a service for college football season. Sometimes it's cable, sometimes it's a streaming service. Of all the various things I've tried, cable is by far the most reliable over any streaming service.

At this point, cable TV is really not much more than a streaming service if you just get a basic package. Typically, very basic cable TV + Internet is cheaper than internet alone, as having the subscriber number increases the value of their advertising sales.

When you consider Netflix, plus Prime, plus Hulu, plus some other service like YoutubeTV, it really isn't much cheaper than cable, unless you have a massive cable package. Consider what channels you actually watch, and compare the cost of a cheaper cable package to a streaming service. I think the discrepancy is a lot less than people believe.

Now that football is well over, we're cutting it again. We still have HBONow, Netflix, and Prime, plus OTA run through HDHomeruns and Plex gives us a DVR for local channels as well.

Really, there isn't much TV worth watching anymore for me, so it isn't a big deal
PooDoo
AG
What's a good dvr for ota? I thought airtv might be the answer but it sucks. So does sling.

It's like TV in the 80's with a better picture. You get stuck watching commercials... Not a real DVR experience. No, rewind or slo-mo... It's regression.

cashag95
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I'm not in the Houston area, but I cut the cord about 6 months ago. We have Prime video, YoutubeTV (for all Aggie sports), HULU, and Netflix. We mainly use Amazon Fire Sticks for connecting to the TVs. You need decent internet speed, depending on how many folks you have connected at once.

I like it so far. Hulu had a helluva deal around black Friday for something like 7.99 a month, so I added it. We were originally just going to go with Youtube TV.

My advice is this.....looking at your criteria, whatever "live sports" you like, will most likely determine what package best fits your needs. Do some research based on that. There is a stickied thread about something similar on the baseball board, if that helps.

With all those services, are you saving money over what you would be paying for a Cable TV + Internet bundle?
hph6203
AG
YouBet said:

chigger said:

Yes, I guess I can do that, but I f'ing shouldn't have to for a top of the line f'ing smart TV!!!!!!!

edit: Oh, wait. I can't do that easily because it's wall mounted and the f'ing HDMI inputs are not on the side. And I can't physically remove the tv from the mount by myself so I'll have to call someone over to do it.

..... Is this real or are you throwing a fake temper tantrum? You have a cable box connected to your TV? Use the HDMI for that for a streaming box, they're better than the stick and cost as much as you'd likely save in one month. And for having a top of the line TV you must have spent bottom of the line money on a mount if it doesn't swivel.

OP, your internet speed is dependent on data amounts for downloads and the number of people you have streaming at once. There's no way you're utilizing all 175 mb/s with just 4 people streaming video. It's about 25 mb/s per stream for 4K, much less for 1080P (5 mb/s)?
95_Aggie
AG
Funny ... seems like everything comes full circle. Folks are going back to the prehistoric days of my childhood and putting up antennas.
permabull
AG
buffalo chip
S
YouBet said:

I've posted on this topic more times than I can count and I've never pulled the plug and I simply can't. It's all too f'ing unreliable. Everything about it.

The latest problem I have is that my flagship f'ing LG OLED TV can no longer connect to my router. Flat out doesn't even see my network as of Super Bowl Sunday. Apparently, this is relatively common issue for LG TV's now. So, if I cut the cord that TV is dead in the water and it's our primary TV. I've tried all the tricks online that I could find from user forums to no avail. My only remaining option is go into router settings and start f'ing with the router which I'm extremely risk averse to do since AT&T hardware is a sh^tshow with all of their firmware fiascos. I will probably screw something up for the whole house and I just can't risk that.

Regardless, that rant is moot because when I even attempt to look at the more advanced settings for my router I can't because it doesn't recognize my access code which is taken DIRECTLY FROM THE F'ING TAG ON THE ROUTER!!! So, somehow my access code which I've never used one time and have no reason to change anyway BECAUSE IT'S DIRECTLY ON THE ROUTER is not recognized.

Thus, I will be staying with DTV for the foreseeable future. Also, PQ is significantly differnt between DTV and Hulu TV in particular with the former being noticeably better WHEN I COULD CONNECT. Will be the last holdout on sat TV, I guess.
My son has a 65 C8 and a 55 C7 LG OLED. 55 always connects. 65 never connects and if it does it isn't fast enough to do anything. He tried everything and ended up with an AppleTV (I prefer Roku). LG is notorious for terrible software updates and wifi.
cashag95
AG
hypeiv said:

PooDoo said:

What's a good dvr for ota? I thought airtv might be the answer but it sucks. So does sling.

It's like TV in the 80's with a better picture. You get stuck watching commercials... Not a real DVR experience. No, rewind or slo-mo... It's regression.

I don't have one but when I thought about cutting my streaming service I looked into the tablo device. The quad tuner is $200 and you still have to buy hard drives on top of that price. Also if you want channel guides it you still have to pay a small monthly fee. The good thing is you can stream it to your rokus around the home so it's not just tied to one tv.

I might eventually go that route because the $50+tax I spend on YouTube TV is 90% watching locals and I feel like we spend way more time watching our $13 Netflix , $10 prime and $6 dis+ than we do our most expensive streaming service.

This is my dilemma as well, paying the most for what we use the least. I'm leaning towards trying just an over the air antenna for awhile to see how it goes, then maybe add YoutubeTV or Hulu later on if we feel like we are missing out.
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

It's not unreliable, you just can't get your router/internet figured out. Smart TVs have never been great for this kind of thing, you'll always get quicker software updates and better response from a connected box (Roku, AppleTV, etc.).

On the flip side, I got rid of cable/satellite two years ago and I've had far fewer outages then I ever had with satellite in minor rain. Had PS Vue (which occasionally had minor lags) and am now on YouTubeTV which has been perfect so far (and has a far better interface than the maddening Hulu setup).
TxAggieBand85
AG
Youtube TV gets my vote, the DVR just works great and can watch Aggie Baseball and Football. If Hallmark is required, Frndly TV. Caution with Hallmark, it will drain the testosterone from any male within 2 miles.

I live in Spring and got a Mohu Sky 60 and mounted in the attic. After 20+ years of cannot do antenna, this one mostly works. Some channels come and go, but it mostly works for me. Probably would be spot on if mounted outdoors.

Good luck to you.
YouBet
AG
hph6203 said:

YouBet said:

chigger said:

..... Is this real or are you throwing a fake temper tantrum? You have a cable box connected to your TV? Use the HDMI for that for a streaming box, they're better than the stick and cost as much as you'd likely save in one month. And for having a top of the line TV you must have spent bottom of the line money on a mount if it doesn't swivel.

OP, your internet speed is dependent on data amounts for downloads and the number of people you have streaming at once. There's no way you're utilizing all 175 mb/s with just 4 people streaming video. It's about 25 mb/s per stream for 4K, much less for 1080P (5 mb/s)?

It's not a fake rant. Yes, I realize there are options but it's maddening to spend money on a flagship tv for it not to work as designed, so I will rant if I like.

And, yes, I can connect a steaming box or a stick instead but it's a PITA due to following:

- I did not do a swivel mount because I don't need a swivel mount the way this room is laid out. I did not anticipate the WiFi to not work less than one year into the tv. That is oversight on my part not to have done a swivel mount even though I don't need a swivel mount for its primary purpose.

- All of the cords are running through the wall back to an adjacent room where I have my comms hub for the house. Except, the Ethernet cord was not run. I do not know why because that was the intent. My installer will resolve this.

- My installer will resolve all of this and did the work in the first place because I'm not physically able to do it myself.

It's better that I rant to you anonymous jackasses rather than my wife so you will have to suffer this. Apologies.
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

It's not unreliable, you just can't get your router/internet figured out. Smart TVs have never been great for this kind of thing, you'll always get quicker software updates and better response from a connected box (Roku, AppleTV, etc.).

On the flip side, I got rid of cable/satellite two years ago and I've had far fewer outages then I ever had with satellite in minor rain. Had PS Vue (which occasionally had minor lags) and am now on YouTubeTV which has been perfect so far (and has a far better interface than the maddening Hulu setup).

No, it's the tv. After this happened, I discovered online that LG TVs are notorious for this. I have the 65in C8 (also mentioned as failing in another post on this thread). It worked fine for almost a year and now it doesn't with zero changes to anything.

Every other device on our network works fine except for this tv. Thus, my hesitation to jack with anything on my router for fear of breaking something else.
TMoney2007
AG
YouBet said:

hph6203 said:

YouBet said:

chigger said:

It's not a fake rant. Yes, I realize there are options but it's maddening to spend money on a flagship tv for it not to work as designed, so I will rant if I like.

And, yes, I can connect a steaming box or a stick instead but it's a PITA due to following:

- I did not do a swivel mount because I don't need a swivel mount the way this room is laid out. I did not anticipate the WiFi to not work less than one year into the tv. That is oversight on my part not to have done a swivel mount even though I don't need a swivel mount for its primary purpose.

- All of the cords are running through the wall back to an adjacent room where I have my comms hub for the house. Except, the Ethernet cord was not run. I do not know why because that was the intent. My installer will resolve this.

- My installer will resolve all of this and did the work in the first place because I'm not physically able to do it myself.

It's better that I rant to you anonymous jackasses rather than my wife so you will have to suffer this. Apologies.
I can see why you have trouble getting someone to help you with these issues... You seem unpleasant.

Your "flagship tv" thing is tired and wrong. You could have easily asked anyone here and they would have told you to buy a streaming box because the built in streaming hardware is garbage on all TV's. Also, you're going to keep that TV way longer than it makes sense to use the same streaming hardware that was crap in the first place.

Roku devices all have WIFI... so you could solve the problem right now if you didn't just love *****ing so much.
YouBet
AG
TMoney2007 said:

YouBet said:

hph6203 said:

YouBet said:

chigger said:

I can see why you have trouble getting someone to help you with these issues... You seem unpleasant.

Your "flagship tv" thing is tired and wrong. You could have easily asked anyone here and they would have told you to buy a streaming box because the built in streaming hardware is garbage on all TV's. Also, you're going to keep that TV way longer than it makes sense to use the same streaming hardware that was crap in the first place.

Roku devices all have WIFI... so you could solve the problem right now if you didn't just love *****ing so much.

Y'all need to lighten up. I enjoy others rants.

I wasn't asking for anyone's help. I was simply ranting online. Yes, I will solve with a Roku. I already have one on two other TVs. I just didn't need one for this originally since it had the latest tech built in which I now have learned sucks.

I will still require someone to come over and get tv off the wall for me though and probably replace my mount to create some room for said Roku between the tv and wall.

Would you like to do that? I will pay you $10.
PooDoo
AG
I think I've had my 65" LG oled a couple of years and I've never had a lick of problem with the wifi or UI. It's the only TV I don't have a fireTV on because of its ease of use.

It is a heavy SOB though but I managed it by myself but I have the strength of 1 1/8 average men.
nai06
AG
YouBet said:

TMoney2007 said:

YouBet said:

hph6203 said:

YouBet said:

chigger said:

I wasn't asking for anyone's help. I was simply ranting online. Yes, I will solve with a Roku. I already have one on two other TVs. I just didn't need one for this originally since it had the latest tech built in which I now have learned sucks.

I will still require someone to come over and get tv off the wall for me though and probably replace my mount to create some room for said Roku between the tv and wall.

How old is your TV? I only ask because I find it hard to believe that a "flagship" tv doesn't have a side access HDMI port. I glanced at the LG website and they all seem to have it. Hell even my $100 no nmae brand tv I bought for out by the pool has a side mount. On top of that, Roku will end you a flexible adapter (for free) that allows the stick to be plugged in at any angle
permabull
AG
BEaggie08
AG
cashag95 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

With all those services, are you saving money over what you would be paying for a Cable TV + Internet bundle?
I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I'd have most of these other services even if I had cable. Additionally, most cell phone providers include some sort of streaming nowadays (T-Mobile - Netflix, Verizon - 1 yr Disney +, AT&T - HBO).

I get Netflix included. So, no new cost. I'd have Prime anyway - no new cost. I always wait for a special on Hulu. I had it last year for $0.99 a month and I have it until next December for $1.99 a month. I'll turn on HBO for a month or two a year to watch everything I want to watch, then I turn it off by simply unsubscribing in the app. I had Vue for football season, but I think football is trending towards being available Ad Hoc through apps, which can be turned on an off during football season. The other benefit of streaming is that anyone in the family can watch anywhere on any device.

There is definitely a cost benefit to be had if done in order to maximize that benefit, but there are other benefits as well. For me and my family, we're happy to with our setup. The ultimate goal for the consumer is choice and I think we're at a better place now than we were 5 years ago.
YouBet
AG
nai06 said:

YouBet said:

TMoney2007 said:

YouBet said:

hph6203 said:

YouBet said:

chigger said:

How old is your TV? I only ask because I find it hard to believe that a "flagship" tv doesn't have a side access HDMI port. I glanced at the LG website and they all seem to have it. Hell even my $100 no nmae brand tv I bought for out by the pool has a side mount. On top of that, Roku will end you a flexible adapter (for free) that allows the stick to be plugged in at any angle

It's a 2019 C8. I wouldn't have believed it either but forums online showed me otherwise. It's a known issue with LGs, unfortunately.

And no side ports. Will get the flexible adapter and make my wife plug it in with her smaller hands. She's good at that.
YouBet
AG
hypeiv said:

I believe he was suggesting to use the HDMI cable that is currently being run to your direct TV box to wire the Roku/firetv... The end connected to the box, not TV. Once you cut the cord you will be sending that box back anyway.

I agree it's annoying that the TV doesn't work as advertised but TVs last much longer now a days and these streaming boxes are still getting better and better. I would rather replace a $30-60 device every 3 or 4 years as they get better rather than have to replace my TV that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Well, duh. That makes total sense now that you say that.

I never claimed to be the smartest one around here.
YouBet
AG
And I would like to formally apologize to cashag for completely hijacking his thread.
permabull
AG
TXAGBQ76
AG
No matter what you do or how hard you try you will still always have at least two cords!
Diggity
AG
Quote:

TVs last much longer now a days
Do they?
YouBet
AG
Diggity said:

Quote:

TVs last much longer now a days
Do they?

To your point, I haven't even ranted yet about my 5 yr old Samsung plasma that is bricked in another room.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.