Finally looking into cutting the cord....

5,547 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fig96
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've had both Hulu Live and YouTube TV.

YouTube is head and shoulders better, or was when I switched about a year ago.

Better guide, DVR actually works on Roku, Android app is outstanding, etc

The one thing that did piss me off was that they added Home and Garden TV and one other channel shortly after I joined and raised the price by like $10 per month.

YouTube TV FTW.

YouBet
AG
So, I switched out my Roku+ from broken tv to my LG in about 5 minutes so back in the game. I've also been test running YouTubeTV today and I agree with others that it's better than Hulu Live. I've used Hulu Live for quite a while.

Now that I'm streaming from the Roku device my PQ is great with YouTube and still in and out from SD to HD with Hulu. Cancelling Hulu and going with YTTV.
Redstone
AG
We cut the cord (from the atrocious Directv) in July, 2014. We now have:
Hulu Plus, Prime, Netflix, PBS, DVD, Internet

Having posted about this since that time, we were ahead of the trend curve.
Brock Sampson
AG
When PS Vue went under (RIP) I did the free YTV trial to watch the Superbowl. Now that football is over I'm going cut the YTV as well and see if we can somehow survive on Netflix, Prime, and Disney+.
htxag09
AG
cashag95 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

I'm not in the Houston area, but I cut the cord about 6 months ago. We have Prime video, YoutubeTV (for all Aggie sports), HULU, and Netflix. We mainly use Amazon Fire Sticks for connecting to the TVs. You need decent internet speed, depending on how many folks you have connected at once.

I like it so far. Hulu had a helluva deal around black Friday for something like 7.99 a month, so I added it. We were originally just going to go with Youtube TV.

My advice is this.....looking at your criteria, whatever "live sports" you like, will most likely determine what package best fits your needs. Do some research based on that. There is a stickied thread about something similar on the baseball board, if that helps.

I mostly watch the Aggies, so the need for SEC+ pushed me to YoutubeTV.

With all those services, are you saving money over what you would be paying for a Cable TV + Internet bundle?
This. Cutting cable is no longer the go to as a cheaper option. Just factor in internet and the streaming service (YouTube TV, DirectTV Now, etc.) and you're right back at what a cable and internet package cost. If you're paying much more than that, you're simply paying too much, negotiate your price. Find out what it would cost for you to stream, this included the price of unbundled internet, then call your provider and tell them you'll pay that or you're cancelling. I did this a little over 2 years ago, they gave me the price under a 2 year contract. The month my contract was set to expire I called and said I'm happy with what I get and what I pay, they renewed my contract at the same price.

Now if you like streaming more, that's fine.

Or if you're one of those who only has YouTube TV during football season, then cancels. Yes, you'll save money in that case. But this is the exception, not the norm.
fig96
AG
htxag09 said:

cashag95 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

I'm not in the Houston area, but I cut the cord about 6 months ago. We have Prime video, YoutubeTV (for all Aggie sports), HULU, and Netflix. We mainly use Amazon Fire Sticks for connecting to the TVs. You need decent internet speed, depending on how many folks you have connected at once.

I like it so far. Hulu had a helluva deal around black Friday for something like 7.99 a month, so I added it. We were originally just going to go with Youtube TV.

My advice is this.....looking at your criteria, whatever "live sports" you like, will most likely determine what package best fits your needs. Do some research based on that. There is a stickied thread about something similar on the baseball board, if that helps.

I mostly watch the Aggies, so the need for SEC+ pushed me to YoutubeTV.

With all those services, are you saving money over what you would be paying for a Cable TV + Internet bundle?
This. Cutting cable is no longer the go to as a cheaper option. Just factor in internet and the streaming service (YouTube TV, DirectTV Now, etc.) and you're right back at what a cable and internet package cost. If you're paying much more than that, you're simply paying too much, negotiate your price. Find out what it would cost for you to stream, this included the price of unbundled internet, then call your provider and tell them you'll pay that or you're cancelling. I did this a little over 2 years ago, they gave me the price under a 2 year contract. The month my contract was set to expire I called and said I'm happy with what I get and what I pay, they renewed my contract at the same price.

Now if you like streaming more, that's fine.

Or if you're one of those who only has YouTube TV during football season, then cancels. Yes, you'll save money in that case. But this is the exception, not the norm.
How exactly does that math work?

To start you're going to have internet anyway, so factoring that in doesn't make much sense in either case. And there are lots of people who pay upwards of $100 or more for their cable packages, and that doesn't include contracts and cancellation fees. YouTubeTV and the like are around $50-60/mo with no contracts and no extra fees. If you're on a cable deal where you're paying no more than $60 per month then you're breaking even, but then you're still stuck on a contract for a year or two.

And adding in things like Prime video, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, etc., as some have been doing isn't relevant to the cost argument. You could have those with or without a cable package, and lots of people that have cable also have some or all of those services.
Mattressburn
AG
YouBet said:

chigger said:

Can't you get a Roku or Fire stick if the tv won't connect? I wouldn't let a $39 fix stand in the way.

We've been cable/Sat free for 2 years now and have not regretted it for even 1 second.
Yes, I guess I can do that, but I f'ing shouldn't have to for a top of the line f'ing smart TV!!!!!!!

edit: Oh, wait. I can't do that easily because it's wall mounted and the f'ing HDMI inputs are not on the side. And I can't physically remove the tv from the mount by myself so I'll have to call someone over to do it.

God, I f'ing hate electronics and internet bullsh^t now.
You pay for the top of the line screen and tech not the smartness. The OS on most smart TVs is terrible compared to Roku or any other streaming stick. Not to mention they stop getting updates like 2 years out. My 4-year-old Roku is still kicking though.
htxag09
AG
Quote:

To start you're going to have internet anyway, so factoring that in doesn't make much sense in either case. And there are lots of people who pay upwards of $100 or more for their cable packages, and that doesn't include contracts and cancellation fees. YouTubeTV and the like are around $50-60/mo with no contracts and no extra fees. If you're on a cable deal where you're paying no more than $60 per month then you're breaking even, but then you're still stuck on a contract for a year or two.

And adding in things like Prime video, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, etc., as some have been doing isn't relevant to the cost argument. You could have those with or without a cable package, and lots of people that have cable also have some or all of those services.
How does factoring in cable not make sense? When you bundle internet and cable, you generally get a discount on internet. You'll be paying more for internet if you get it stand alone.

I have U-Verse: U300 cable plus HBO and 4 boxes/receivers, 300 speed internet. My total bill including taxes, fees, etc. is $110/month.

If I cut cable I'd have to go to AT&T, Xfinity, someone and get internet solely. Looks like 200 mbps would run about $50 a month (and I'd still have a contract) and that doesn't include taxes and fees. Add onto that the streaming service, $50-60 and you're at $110+, which is what I'm paying now, with slower internet.

As for the being stuck in a contract. That doesn't bother me one bit, in fact, I probably prefer it. We've been in our house for 6+ years and have had cable and internet for every single month. I don't anticipate wanting to just cancel anytime soon. At least with a contract, my price is locked in. The downside of not having a contract with a streaming service is they can up the price at any point, which they have done on multiple occasions the last couple years.

Now, as I said in my previous post, if you're someone who has a streaming service for sports then cancels out of football season. Yes, streaming makes total sense for you. But again, that's not the norm. Even if my wife didn't have all her shows she wants to keep the service for, I'd want it for basketball, baseball, etc. Which brings another point, by streaming I won't be able to watch the Astros. Well I could, but that'd be another package to add on.

And I agree that Disney+, Netflix, etc. are a wash. You'd be doing those either way. That's why I'm not factoring them in.
YouBet
AG
htxag09 said:

Quote:

How does factoring in cable not make sense? When you bundle internet and cable, you generally get a discount on internet. You'll be paying more for internet if you get it stand alone.

I have U-Verse: U300 cable plus HBO and 4 boxes/receivers, 300 speed internet. My total bill including taxes, fees, etc. is $110/month.

If I cut cable I'd have to go to AT&T, Xfinity, someone and get internet solely. Looks like 200 mbps would run about $50 a month (and I'd still have a contract) and that doesn't include taxes and fees. Add onto that the streaming service, $50-60 and you're at $110+, which is what I'm paying now, with slower internet.

As for the being stuck in a contract. That doesn't bother me one bit, in fact, I probably prefer it. We've been in our house for 6+ years and have had cable and internet for every single month. I don't anticipate wanting to just cancel anytime soon. At least with a contract, my price is locked in. The downside of not having a contract with a streaming service is they can up the price at any point, which they have done on multiple occasions the last couple years.

Now, as I said in my previous post, if you're someone who has a streaming service for sports then cancels out of football season. Yes, streaming makes total sense for you. But again, that's not the norm. Even if my wife didn't have all her shows she wants to keep the service for, I'd want it for basketball, baseball, etc. Which brings another point, by streaming I won't be able to watch the Astros. Well I could, but that'd be another package to add on.

And I agree that Disney+, Netflix, etc. are a wash. You'd be doing those either way. That's why I'm not factoring them in.

For me, internet and the other streaming services are a wash. Apples to apples is If DTV can cut my bill to $60 vs Hulu or YT. I would possibly stay with them if they did, but I highly doubt they are going to do that while allowing me to keep my same package. Plus, AT&T is Satan's minion.

I plan to ask DTV when I cancel just to see what they will do though.
fig96
AG
Quote:

For one, because you can get discounts lots of other ways. I just re-upped my AT&T Fiber internet to the 1000 megabit package for a $20 discount just for signing a year contract, add in a discount I get for having my phone with AT&T and I'm paying the same as you for internet and YouTubeTV with 5x the internet speed.

And sure, I might not have any real reason to cancel my service. But I'm also not stuck in a contract for two years if something better comes along, if I want to change services, etc.
htxag09
AG
htxag09
AG
fig96 said:

Quote:

For one, because you can get discounts lots of other ways. I just re-upped my AT&T Fiber internet to the 1000 megabit package for a $20 discount just for signing a year contract, add in a discount I get for having my phone with AT&T and I'm paying the same as you for internet and YouTubeTV with 5x the internet speed.

And sure, I might not have any real reason to cancel my service. But I'm also not stuck in a contract for two years if something better comes along, if I want to change services, etc.
We're saying the same thing here. I'm stating that you aren't going to save money by ditching cable and streaming anymore. A couple years ago, sure. However, the streaming services have all upped their prices to be in line with cable. That's how supply and demand works. You're stating that you pay the same as me, which is to my point. You get faster internet than me, ok. You also have more flexibility. I get HBO, which I don't think is included in YouTube TV, and the Astros, which is major for me, in that price. And FWIW, I get a discount on my phone bill as well that I'm not factoring in here. We each have perks of our own deals.

Now, if you like streaming for whatever reason, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to tell anyone that streaming is dumb or they're dumb for liking streaming services. I'm simply saying you're not going to save hundreds of dollars a year anymore by streaming.

Diggity
AG
The quoted price for you plan is $145 before taxes. I get that you can negotiate that down but most people get sick of having to stay on top of cable providers every year just to try to get a similar rate on renewal.

When I used to mess with that, I would have to threaten to cancel or move to another service. Sometimes I could get them to match the deal, other times, not. Maybe it's easier now but I just despise messing with call center people. They strategically start taking off bundle discounts over several months so you don't even notice it until you've been paying more for a while. The whole thing is bait & switch.

I agree that internet prices on their own are crazy. Nothing really to be done about that.
fig96
AG
htxag09 said:

fig96 said:

Quote:

We're saying the same thing here. I'm stating that you aren't going to save money by ditching cable and streaming anymore. A couple years ago, sure. However, the streaming services have all upped their prices to be in line with cable. That's how supply and demand works. You're stating that you pay the same as me, which is to my point. You get faster internet than me, ok. You also have more flexibility. I get HBO, which I don't think is included in YouTube TV, and the Astros, which is major for me, in that price. And FWIW, I get a discount on my phone bill as well that I'm not factoring in here. We each have perks of our own deals.

Now, if you like streaming for whatever reason, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to tell anyone that streaming is dumb or they're dumb for liking streaming services. I'm simply saying you're not going to save hundreds of dollars a year anymore by streaming.
I get you, the thing is that some people DO spend a whole lot more for cable and they would save a lot of money. You can get it close to equal if you negotiate and find deals, but the average cable bill is (reportedly) over $200 per month.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/average-cable-bill-includes-50-in-hidden-fees-and-taxes/
htxag09
AG
I used to despise it as well. The last time I did it, late 2019, was really simple, though. I called, connected straight to a rep, told her I liked my service, liked the price, wanted to lock in a contract for the same amount. She said hold on a minute, then said ok, no problem. I was off the phone within 10 minutes. Was so easy I probably left money on the table, but oh well. It seemed to me like they realize they have competition and are changing a little. Or I just got lucky and had a really good customer service rep.

ETA, I even got an email and notification from AT&T that some contract offers were expiring and my next bill would be higher. So I was never even surprised by a high bill because I forgot like in the past.
Thriller
AG
How are you guys faring with hitting any data caps?

We've got 4 boys (3 of them teenagers) and a 1TB cap each month. We'll hit that on months where school is off for at least a week (Spring Break, Christmas, summer, etc). And that's before factoring in moving from DTV to something like Hulu or YouTube TV.

Garrelli 5000
AG
Good luck. I've suffered from similar tech issues.

By chance have you done any commercial work?

Smart Speaker, play smooth jazz play list!
Redstone
AG
Also, we are on a Grande long-time customer internet discount. I call at least once every 6 months to ensure we are at the lowest price point possible.

Most recently, they just bumped our speed instead of lowering the monthly charge.
TxFig
AG
I'm sure a ton of this has already been covered - but I'll throw my $.02 in as well ...

I cut my cord last May, ending my 15 year commitment with DirecTV. It was something I should have done many years earlier.

ONE: keep your internet, it is plenty fast enough to stream anything you might want.

TWO: Before listening to ANYONE (including me) as to which streaming service to get, use this website to make your own decisions based on the channels you watch and what you consider important.
https://www.suppose.tv/tv

THREE: Ignore anyone who tells you Roku is better than Firestick - or vice versa. There isn't a spit's worth difference between them. Since you already have Amazon Prime, you might already have a Firestick. Either way, if you already have one, stay with it.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
dodger02
AG
We cut the cord a couple of years ago. It's been great.

I went from satellite DIRECTV, Netflix, HBO, and Amazon to YouTube TV (had PSV until they crapped out in the fall), Netflix, HBO, Amazon, ESPN+, and Disney+.

For me, the only real change has been dropping DIRECTV for YTTV, ESPN+, and Disney+. So, I dropped a $200 cable package for a $50 one, $5 of sports, and added Disney+ for like $5 when they ran their pre-sale.

$200 >> $60

We have an OTA that works great if the internet ever dies for some reason. Really, there's so much content on Netflix, HBO, Disney, and ESPN that we could do without YTTV. But, we still have it.
cashag95
AG
Really appreciate everybody's feedback and suggestions! Love hearing what everbody's using and the opinions, lots to think about and consider. I have a Chromecast device that we use to stream HBO from our phones, which also works for streaming Netflix, but not sure how we would watch Amazon Prime Video as you can't stream it from your phone to a Chromecast device. So, maybe we will need to get a Firestick or Roku instead of Chromecast.
easttexasaggie04
AG
We've gone from DirecTV to Hulu Live to now I just cut off the Live portion of Hulu Live and saved an additional ~$50/month. I just ordered an antenna on Amazon. I find myself watching YouTube, Disney+ and Netflix more than anything else. I never really found myself watching much live TV. Heck with two kids running around I never have much time to watch TV at all.
Diggity
AG
I'm the same way.

I used to care about getting all those channels but there's more on Netflix & Amazon + Antenna than I can keep up with during the 30-60 minutes of time I have on weekdays.

I've done trials of the different services and I just don't end up watching much additional TV.
permabull
AG
AgFB
AG
Just killed AT&T TV for YTTV yesterday. Not a ton of savings but I felt like the AT&T TV interface was horrible and I like being able to record everything I could ever want on the YTTV.

I considered not signing up at all but need something to link to Nick Jr app for the kids. I might just tell them to watch Disney+, Netflix and Prime and shut it. Paw Patrol is the devil anyway.
htxag09
AG
So how many people who are streaming cancelled their service with no sports on the horizon??? Haven't turned on my cable box in a week.
aTm2004
AG
YouBet said:

hph6203 said:

YouBet said:

chigger said:

Can't you get a Roku or Fire stick if the tv won't connect? I wouldn't let a $39 fix stand in the way.

We've been cable/Sat free for 2 years now and have not regretted it for even 1 second.
Yes, I guess I can do that, but I f'ing shouldn't have to for a top of the line f'ing smart TV!!!!!!!

edit: Oh, wait. I can't do that easily because it's wall mounted and the f'ing HDMI inputs are not on the side. And I can't physically remove the tv from the mount by myself so I'll have to call someone over to do it.

..... Is this real or are you throwing a fake temper tantrum? You have a cable box connected to your TV? Use the HDMI for that for a streaming box, they're better than the stick and cost as much as you'd likely save in one month. And for having a top of the line TV you must have spent bottom of the line money on a mount if it doesn't swivel.

OP, your internet speed is dependent on data amounts for downloads and the number of people you have streaming at once. There's no way you're utilizing all 175 mb/s with just 4 people streaming video. It's about 25 mb/s per stream for 4K, much less for 1080P (5 mb/s)?

It's not a fake rant. Yes, I realize there are options but it's maddening to spend money on a flagship tv for it not to work as designed, so I will rant if I like.

And, yes, I can connect a steaming box or a stick instead but it's a PITA due to following:

- I did not do a swivel mount because I don't need a swivel mount the way this room is laid out. I did not anticipate the WiFi to not work less than one year into the tv. That is oversight on my part not to have done a swivel mount even though I don't need a swivel mount for its primary purpose.

- All of the cords are running through the wall back to an adjacent room where I have my comms hub for the house. Except, the Ethernet cord was not run. I do not know why because that was the intent. My installer will resolve this.

- My installer will resolve all of this and did the work in the first place because I'm not physically able to do it myself.

It's better that I rant to you anonymous jackasses rather than my wife so you will have to suffer this. Apologies.
Your flagship TV? Here's some truth about your "flagship TV"...it's garbage when it comes to apps. They're like the pre-installed apps that come in your car's entertainment system...far inferior to even the chittiest apps available on your phone/tablets. What's available for a purpose built streaming device is like waking up next to a dime the next morning rather than her ugly sister. My Smart TV has a YTTV app on it and it sucks compared to the YTTV app on Fire TV. Spend $40 and get a Fire Stick and move on...it even comes with a nice little adapter thingy for wall mounted TVs with HDMI ports in the back! That Amazon...they think of everything.

Oh, sumthin sumthin about running a power cord? Welp, I'm sure your "flagship TV" has USB ports, so Amazon has you taken care of. I currently run my Fire TV 4k pendant with one of these on my main TV and no issues. Use that along with connecting it to WIFi and you're golden. As others have said, you'll spend more out of spite because you bought a "flagship TV" (and dammit, you're going to use it!) than you would on this setup and being much much happier.
aTm2004
AG
dodger02 said:

We cut the cord a couple of years ago. It's been great.

I went from satellite DIRECTV, Netflix, HBO, and Amazon to YouTube TV (had PSV until they crapped out in the fall), Netflix, HBO, Amazon, ESPN+, and Disney+.

For me, the only real change has been dropping DIRECTV for YTTV, ESPN+, and Disney+. So, I dropped a $200 cable package for a $50 one, $5 of sports, and added Disney+ for like $5 when they ran their pre-sale.

$200 >> $60

We have an OTA that works great if the internet ever dies for some reason. Really, there's so much content on Netflix, HBO, Disney, and ESPN that we could do without YTTV. But, we still have it.
I was paying ~$120/mo for DTV and just got tired of calling every 6 months or so trying to catch someone who got laid that morning and came to the office in a giving mood. Went with PSVue and now have YTTV. Also added Disney+ (annual) and are already Prime members. Much happier and saving about half.
jay040
I paused my YouTube TV subscription and am switching to Philo until sports come back on...
YouBet
AG
aTm2004 said:

YouBet said:

hph6203 said:

YouBet said:

chigger said:

..... Is this real or are you throwing a fake temper tantrum? You have a cable box connected to your TV? Use the HDMI for that for a streaming box, they're better than the stick and cost as much as you'd likely save in one month. And for having a top of the line TV you must have spent bottom of the line money on a mount if it doesn't swivel.

OP, your internet speed is dependent on data amounts for downloads and the number of people you have streaming at once. There's no way you're utilizing all 175 mb/s with just 4 people streaming video. It's about 25 mb/s per stream for 4K, much less for 1080P (5 mb/s)?

It's not a fake rant. Yes, I realize there are options but it's maddening to spend money on a flagship tv for it not to work as designed, so I will rant if I like.

And, yes, I can connect a steaming box or a stick instead but it's a PITA due to following:

- I did not do a swivel mount because I don't need a swivel mount the way this room is laid out. I did not anticipate the WiFi to not work less than one year into the tv. That is oversight on my part not to have done a swivel mount even though I don't need a swivel mount for its primary purpose.

- All of the cords are running through the wall back to an adjacent room where I have my comms hub for the house. Except, the Ethernet cord was not run. I do not know why because that was the intent. My installer will resolve this.

- My installer will resolve all of this and did the work in the first place because I'm not physically able to do it myself.

It's better that I rant to you anonymous jackasses rather than my wife so you will have to suffer this. Apologies.
Your flagship TV? Here's some truth about your "flagship TV"...it's garbage when it comes to apps. They're like the pre-installed apps that come in your car's entertainment system...far inferior to even the chittiest apps available on your phone/tablets. What's available for a purpose built streaming device is like waking up next to a dime the next morning rather than her ugly sister. My Smart TV has a YTTV app on it and it sucks compared to the YTTV app on Fire TV. Spend $40 and get a Fire Stick and move on...it even comes with a nice little adapter thingy for wall mounted TVs with HDMI ports in the back! That Amazon...they think of everything.

Oh, sumthin sumthin about running a power cord? Welp, I'm sure your "flagship TV" has USB ports, so Amazon has you taken care of. I currently run my Fire TV 4k pendant with one of these on my main TV and no issues. Use that along with connecting it to WIFi and you're golden. As others have said, you'll spend more out of spite because you bought a "flagship TV" (and dammit, you're going to use it!) than you would on this setup and being much much happier.
I solved this 40 days ago.
permabull
AG
raysh
Firestick is a way to go for me. It has been about 4 years now since I "cut the cord" and I have not regretted it at all. For as many years as I did have cable, I will never be happier to have left it. I bought a FireStick and installed Kodi on it and added some great Kodi addons. To use Firestick effectivelly, you should read some tech blogs
aTm2004
AG
My point still remains.
fig96
AG
jay040 said:

I paused my YouTube TV subscription and am switching to Philo until sports come back on...
I think I'm going to do this as well. Only thing we won't get that I have any interest in watching is the current season of Top Chef.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.