Any old games you've picked up lately?

3,814 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Claude!
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TriumphForks said:

Red Five said:

Currently playing Link to the Past on the Switch. Never played it before and I have to say it holds up really well. Had no problem getting sucked into it.

I also tried playing Legend of Zelda NES and it was just as impenetrable to me now as it was when I was 8.
The NES Zeldas are a little rough. I played them for the first time a couple years ago and you almost have to use a guide. You aren't given much to go off of.
The problem is you don't have anyone to talk to about the games at the playground. I didn't own a Nintendo as a kid (parents bought me a PC instead...) but I swear I knew every secret in those games from talking about it on the playground. I don't know if it was intended or not, but those games had a massive social aspect to learning how to beat them. When a kid would figure out something new, he would come to school the next day like he was some sort of bad ass. We did have a lot more patience with games back then. It took months to beat anything, but that was fine because you generally only had a couple of games. Now kids move on to the next game after a weekend.
AustinAg2K
Proposition Joe said:

I basically grew up on the old Sierra titles. If you get a chance, listen to one of the big podcasts on the history of the company -- it's great to hear the stories on how not just King's Quest but also Space Quest and the Leisure Suit Larry games came about.
Any recommendations on podcasts? I also grew up on Sierra games. Every Christmas my brother and I would ask for whatever the new Sierra game was, and then we would spend months trying to beat it. I definitely preferred the command line games to the point and click. I realize for most people it's extremely frustrating, but for me, I really enjoyed trying to figure out the correct combination of words to get the task accomplished. Some of the comments when typed something wrong were hilarious, too. When they went to point and click, it seemed like you could just click around until you found something that worked.
Proposition Joe
I still vividly remember...

Grab pitchfork
Grab fork
Grab staff
Grab knife

Weeks later my older cousin is at the house and tells me...

Grab trident.... **** YES I CAN PLAY THIS GAME AGAIN!

Such trying times but those were the days.
KidDoc
AG
Everquest 1 on Project 1999 green server- fun stuff!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WGann3
AG
KidDoc said:

If you're an Everquest fan, have you checked out Project Gorgon on Steam? Still in Early Access and I haven't played it myself, but it's getting some really positive praise for a throwback style MMORPG.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/342940/Project_Gorgon/
The Fife
I just started Halo 1 yesterday - whatever remastered version was released for the 360 a few years ago because I'm too lazy to hook up the original Xbox. All I can say is I should've played this years ago! It definitely feels a lot like Marathon despite the story being different (I know, both by Bungie).

This is a lot more fun than micromanaging everyone's relationships in GTA 4. It gets old when you're driving off to a mission, the phone rings, and it's "cousin let us see glorious american titties!!!" for the 4th time.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Not super old, but finally got The Witcher 3 and can barely put it down
KidDoc
AG
WGann3 said:

KidDoc said:

If you're an Everquest fan, have you checked out Project Gorgon on Steam? Still in Early Access and I haven't played it myself, but it's getting some really positive praise for a throwback style MMORPG.

Thanks Wgann I watched some youtube of it and it looks pretty good.

I'm usually not a huge fan of the skill based/classless games as I like the player interdependence that class based games force on the player base. Still it does look interesting.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bankshot11
AG
I hooked up my Nintendo 64 over Christmas break. Played a bit of Shadows of the Empire and a few other titles. Sadly some of the memory in my cartridges have gone bad, and a lot of save data was lost.
Beezy2389
AG
Where are you Marshall?

MonkeyKnifeFighter
WGann3
AG
KidDoc said:

WGann3 said:

KidDoc said:

Thanks Wgann I watched some youtube of it and it looks pretty good.

I'm usually not a huge fan of the skill based/classless games as I like the player interdependence that class based games force on the player base. Still it does look interesting.
Yeah I'm with you on the classless games opinion. Probably won't play it either but thought you might get a good 10 second dose of nostalgia checking out that Steam page. Really cool to me that projects like that are thriving.
Beezy2389
AG
Outlaws

You can get it here for $6. Works on the current Windows systems.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
nickstro66
AG
Been watching a lot of college basketball now that I have ESPN +

Decided to buy NCAA Basketball 10 for the 360. Can't wait until it comes in!
Not a Bot
AG
nickstro66 said:

Been watching a lot of college basketball now that I have ESPN +

Decided to buy NCAA Basketball 10 for the 360. Can't wait until it comes in!

I still pull out my copy of 2k8 every now and then.
The Fife
Halo 1 (anniversary edition) was fun and I beat it a few days ago. Now I've set up the OG Xbox in the game room and started on Halo 2 because, why not? The controls on the 360 are a lot better than the original Xbox. I never noticed how much I used the two shoulder buttons until there was only one per side.
Propane & Accessories
AG
I've been playing Sid Mier's Pirates! and a bit of colonization again they are always fun and getting a frigate fully decked out is pretty great
immortal_kumquat
Proposition Joe said:

I basically grew up on the old Sierra titles. If you get a chance, listen to one of the big podcasts on the history of the company -- it's great to hear the stories on how not just King's Quest but also Space Quest and the Leisure Suit Larry games came about.

Proposition Joe
Just a taste of what a weird road some of these companies can travel to get where they got... You might recognize the female on the right as one of the pioneers in the adventure game industry.

MW03
AG
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCbR_LpT8Zs][/url]
nomad2007
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Just a taste of what a weird road some of these companies can travel to get where they got... You might recognize the female on the right as one of the pioneers in the adventure game industry.

She and her husband (who I believe is the waiter in that picture) co-founded Sierra. After this weird and provocative title, they went on to produce normal, wholesome family titles like Leisure Suit Larry.
SJEAg
AG
nomad2007 said:

Proposition Joe said:

She and her husband (who I believe is the waiter in that picture) co-founded Sierra. After this weird and provocative title, they went on to produce normal, wholesome family titles like Leisure Suit Larry.

That isn't Ken Williams. He probably took the photo though given their budget back then.

And don't forget Roberta and Phantasmagoria. Some of the stuff in that game was all kinds of messed up...especially for 1995. In my dorm, I distinctly recall everyone yelling "oh ****!" in surprise when some of the ending death scenes played out.
nomad2007
AG
SJEAg said:

nomad2007 said:

Proposition Joe said:

That isn't Ken Williams. He probably took the photo though given their budget back then.

And don't forget Roberta and Phantasmagoria. Some of the stuff in that game was all kinds of messed up...especially for 1995. In my dorm, I distinctly recall everyone yelling "oh ****!" in surprise when some of the ending death scenes played out.

I felt it was him just because of the resemblance I guess.

Phantasmagoria is fantastic. As a side note, Caesar 2 also ate a ton of my time as a kid, and it was pretty revolutionary as well with combining the city-building, nation building and strategic total war style battles.
Proposition Joe
And then Roberta and Ken sold it to CUC/Cendant and went off sailing, thinking it would be in good hands.

Cendant then went on to be involved in one of the biggest accounting frauds of all time (pre Enron/Worldcom) and ultimately destroyed what once was Sierra On-Line.
Claude!
Speaking of the Williamses, you can buy their home, if you've got a couple of million dollars to spend and have a thing for wood paneling.

https://www.realliving.com/homes-for-sale/40367-Goldside-Drive-Oakhurst-CA-93644-284692284
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.