Any old games you've picked up lately?

3,796 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Claude!
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Particularly those from your childhood that you were never able to understand or beat?

I'm trying to play through King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow. It came bundled with our first family computer when I was like 5 years old and although I remember trying to play it I remember not being able to solve any of the puzzles. I'm sitting here reliving a whole bunch of old memories right now. This is a fun style of game. It is very witty and full of puns.

Saw they were selling arcade style emulators of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games during the holiday season but couldn't justify spending $300 on it. Never was able to get past the swimming level with the electric seaweed on the NES version as a kid. I don't think I've played it for at least 26 years. May try to pick that one up as well.
Chase McGuire
Went back to finally 101% Donkey Kong 64 not too long ago. If I had to pick one game from my childhood to keep, it would be that one.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Chase McGuire
It's the same as 100%, but like a lot of Rare-developed games, it counts to 101.
TriumphForks
AG
Chase McGuire said:

Went back to finally 101% Donkey Kong 64 not too long ago. If I had to pick one game from my childhood to keep, it would be that one.
DK64.
TriumphForks
AG
Not necessarily a game I played in my childhood but I recently beat Star Tropics on the NES classic with my 3 year old. Was surprisingly good.
Chase McGuire
We seem to have similar taste in games.
Quad Dog
AG
I played a lot of that King's Quest game back in the day. There are like 3 or 4 endings and different ways to beat it.

I recently played through KOTOR on Android a couple times and it's a really good remaster.
Average Joe
AG
Quad Dog said:

I recently played through KOTOR on Android a couple times and it's a really good remaster.

Hmm, this might happen then.
PatAg
AG
Donkey Kong Country is better, but DK 64 was great too
tlepoC
AG
Conquests of the long bow. Played it without understanding every year for many many years while visiting grandparents. Don't think I ever got past the one of the first few challenges. Turns out, the manual had some very necessary pieces of information in it. Finally beat it 20 years later.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Chase McGuire
I also went and finally played through Super Mario 64 and got all the stars. It's a lot easier than when I was 5, but a few of them are still pretty tough. The game holds up beautifully.
permabull
AG
Madmarttigan
AG
hypeiv said:

I was too busy to play WoW when it first came out... I started playing classic 4 months ago, hit 60, got my epic mount, killed ony and and rag but quit a few weeks ago b/c of guild drama on loot

Sounds like you got the full experience
The Fife
Not childhood, but currently playing through GTA 4 for the 1st time.
Vade281
AG
Trying to get through FF7 again before the remake hits.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
NCNJ1217
AG
With Nintendo online you can download a bundle of NES and SNES games, come to find out one of them is Adventures of Lolo. Played it as a kid, never beat it. Guess I'll be hammering away at it for the next few days
"Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid."

-G.K. Chesterton
SJEAg
AG
Hah, I remember that King's Quest...at the time everyone was blown away by how advanced the intro movie was. I think KQIV was the best of that series, I liked the command line interface over point and click.

I miss those all those Sierra games...especially Space Quest. Those were hilarious, probably hold up well today other than the graphics obviously.
boy09
AG
PatAg said:

Donkey Kong Country is better, but DK 64 was great too
I remember playing DKC as a kid, but never getting any further than the mine area (the 2nd area in the game). Played it again recently on the SNES mini, this game is TOUGH, even now. 9 year old me didn't stand a chance...
Al Bula
AG
TriumphForks said:

Not necessarily a game I played in my childhood but I recently beat Star Tropics on the NES classic with my 3 year old. Was surprisingly good.
Star Tropics is my go-to entertainment on flights.

I have NES and SNES emulators on my Surface Pro, every ROM ever made and a USB SNES controller that I take with me on business trips.

Fantastic game. Star Tropics 2 is pretty good too and most definitely harder. It was apparently the last game made soley for the NES.
nickstro66
AG
Not necessarily old, but I've been playing NCAA 13 a ton recently on the 360. Have probably spent more time playing that than I have my Xbox One.
nomad2007
AG
I loaded up the original Colonization in dosbox the other day. Makes me want to go back and try the original Civilization again.
spanky
AG
Picked up PaRappa the Rapper for the PS1 over the holidays and completed it with the kids (who loved the game) in a couple of hours. I don't think I ever beat this thing back in the 90s. Guess I'll hunt down the second one for the PS2 in the near future.

Also started working on my NES collection again so of course I've been playing a lot of those games. I never had an NES Advantage growing up so I always played RC Pro-Am with just the dpad controller. Finally picked one up in a Goodwill lot. Makes things so much easier imho.
powerbelly
AG
nickstro66 said:

Not necessarily old, but I've been playing NCAA 13 a ton recently on the 360. Have probably spent more time playing that than I have my Xbox One.
The only reason I still have an XBOX.
aezmvp
If you never played it the remastered version of Day of the Tentacle from Lucas Arts was on sale on steam. Great game.
Proposition Joe
I basically grew up on the old Sierra titles. If you get a chance, listen to one of the big podcasts on the history of the company -- it's great to hear the stories on how not just King's Quest but also Space Quest and the Leisure Suit Larry games came about.
The Fife
nomad2007 said:

I loaded up the original Colonization in dosbox the other day. Makes me want to go back and try the original Civilization again.
I played the original Civ a lot back in high school, but the addition of borders in either 2 or 3 was a huge improvement.
heddleston
AG
Just finally got X Wing Alliance to work on my MacBook
AtlAg05
AG
nomad2007 said:

There's a steam version of Colonization, picked it up for a couple bucks on sale. I remember there was some patch that was released after I bought the game and they had to send a disk via snail mail.
Red Five
AG
Currently playing Link to the Past on the Switch. Never played it before and I have to say it holds up really well. Had no problem getting sucked into it.

I also tried playing Legend of Zelda NES and it was just as impenetrable to me now as it was when I was 8.
Eliminatus
AG
Baldurs gate and Fallout Tactics
TriumphForks
AG
Red Five said:

Currently playing Link to the Past on the Switch. Never played it before and I have to say it holds up really well. Had no problem getting sucked into it.

I also tried playing Legend of Zelda NES and it was just as impenetrable to me now as it was when I was 8.
The NES Zeldas are a little rough. I played them for the first time a couple years ago and you almost have to use a guide. You aren't given much to go off of.
WGann3
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I also went and finally played through Super Mario 64 and got all the stars. It's a lot easier than when I was 5, but a few of them are still pretty tough. The game holds up beautifully.
Still one of my favorites to go back through every year or two. Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride 100 coins are a borderline nightmare!

I've had Portal in my Steam Library for probably about a decade and just never played it for whatever reason. Decided I'd finally figure out what all the fuss was about all these years and really enjoyed it. Very short, but such a clever, unique experience. Looking forward to the co-op on Portal 2.
Chase McGuire
Portal 2 is a massive step up. Play both campaigns (single player and co-op). They're both great.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.