Happy 15th birthday, Half Life 2.

882 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cromagnum
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sine poena nulla lex.
BBQ4Me
AG
I want Portal 3
texsn95
AG
****ers
MGS
I think we are going to have to accept that Valve is no longer a game developer.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Proposition Joe
No longer a rumor.

Cromagnum
AG
Nobody cares about VR games.
Proposition Joe
Cromagnum said:

Which is Valve launching what will likely be the first AAA title on the platform is such a big deal.

It's absolutely the future, and Valve knows it.
Cromagnum
AG
Maybe so, but they have a long long sway to go on that. I've played NES games that were more fun than the VR crap I've seen.
Proposition Joe
Cromagnum said:

Maybe so, but they have a long long sway to go on that. I've played NES games that were more fun than the VR crap I've seen.

Have you played any of the higher end stuff HTC or Valve hardware? It's wholly different from the environment you get on the lower end Oculus-and-the-like models.

At this point we really don't have far to go. Headset technology is more than adequate and will continue to get refined, hand-tracking is there as well.

Hardware-wise the only remaining major hurdle to full consumer adoption is mobility. What solutions exist for a virtual world with unlimited play area but a real-world physical limitation? Feet tracking and "walking" solutions are starting to pop up, but all are pretty cumbersome at this point. Any kind of treadmill-like walking solution is far too expensive and too bulky. But once that solution is found, there's going to be no stopping the mass adoption.
MGS
So, in other words, this new Half Life will probably just be a glorified tech demo.
Proposition Joe
I'm not sure how you took that from my post.

Valve went out and designed their own VR hardware... it's a game that has been in development for multiple years.

I'd say that's the exact opposite of a tech demo.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
It will be a "tech demo" in the sense that there will be nothing else like it from a technical point of view, just like Half-Life 1 &2.
MGS
Proposition Joe said:

I'm not sure how you took that from my post.

Valve went out and designed their own VR hardware... it's a game that has been in development for multiple years.

I'd say that's the exact opposite of a tech demo.
I really wasn't responding to your post, it was my interpretation of Valve's announcement.
Artorias
AG
C@LAg said:

where's the $#$%#@*#$ part 3?
HL3 is never going to happen, unfortunately.

Artorias
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Cromagnum said:

Which is Valve launching what will likely be the first AAA title on the platform is such a big deal.

If/when they can produce high-end VR headsets that are all-in-one platforms for a mass market price, then it will start to have more widespread adoption. By that time, HL:Alyx will be old news.

Proposition Joe
mugwurt said:

Proposition Joe said:

Cromagnum said:

If/when they can produce high-end VR headsets that are all-in-one platforms for a mass market price, then it will start to have more widespread adoption. By that time, HL:Alyx will be old news.

That's the great thing about technology - it continues to get cheaper to produce.
Artorias
AG
Proposition Joe said:

mugwurt said:

Proposition Joe said:

Cromagnum said:

That's the great thing about technology - it continues to get cheaper to produce.
I agree, and expect it to eventually reach mass market pricing in the next few years. But it won't be 2020.

Personally, I think AR has the potential for a much larger mass consumer market, as you still have spatial awareness and can potentially wear them anywhere. VR use will be more limited in comparison.

Proposition Joe
mugwurt said:

Proposition Joe said:

mugwurt said:

Proposition Joe said:

Cromagnum said:

I agree, and expect it to eventually reach mass market pricing in the next few years. But it won't be 2020.

Personally, I think AR has the potential for a much larger mass consumer market, as you still have spatial awareness and can potentially wear them anywhere. VR use will be more limited in comparison.

Agreed. I think AR will be an every-day type usage everywhere, where VR will be primarily in the home.
Cromagnum
AG
Everyone gonna be walking around with AR headsets.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.