RIP Fry's Electronics?

23,677 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lb3
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

I went to a Fry's the other day because I needed blank CDs and I figured if anybody has obsolete media, it'll be Fry's! I get there and ask an associate if they have blank CDs. He perks up and smiles and says, surprised, "Actually we do!"

I can just imagine how many times he has had to tell someone they don't have what they're looking for. He seemed so excited that he could actually help.

That made me laugh out loud
Pman17
AG
About time

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/frys-electronics-permanently-closes-nationwide/
C@LAg
Pman17 said:

About time

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/frys-electronics-permanently-closes-nationwide/
i still cannot understand why they kept all those stores open so long,.

they had to have been bleeding cash.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
C@LAg said:

Pman17 said:

About time

i still cannot understand why they kept all those stores open so long,.

they had to have been bleeding cash.

One theory is that Fry's was basically playing a shell game. Fry's doesn't own their stores, they lease them from a company called QREM LLC, which also just happens to share the same corporate address as Fry's. So buy and build the land/ store with one LLC, run the operations and inventory/ debt on the other LLC. Bleed off revenue by renting to yourself and have minimal assets when you declare bankruptcy. Then the separate QREM LLC sells the land and stores for a nice chunk of change.
The Fife
Fry's, why close now? Why not 20 years ago?
superunknown
AG
I was just thinking about freeze dried astronaut ice cream the other day. RIP, frys.
tamusc
AG
I would still buy electronics and components from them up until a few years ago when their inventory started drying up. It was super convenient to be able to buy so many different things same day, especially for work.

Shoot, I bought most of my current PC components from them three years ago.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
Jasomania
AG
It was a long, slow, and painful death and in the end she was a mere shell of who she used to be. But I will celebrate the better days and remember the Fry's of yesterday, when the shelves were full and you could spend an entire afternoon going through every aisle.

Here's to you Fry's, you were a real one. In the days of brick and mortar you reigned as king, surpassed by none. We will never forget that "YOUR Best Buys were ALWAYS at Fry's". We will sing your song throughout the ages. Goodnight sweet prince.
cr0wbar
AG
Jasomania said:

It was a long, slow, and painful death and in the end she was a mere shell of who she used to be. But I will celebrate the better days and remember the Fry's of yesterday, when the shelves were full and you could spend an entire afternoon going through every aisle.

Here's to you Fry's, you were a real one. In the days of brick and mortar you reigned as king, surpassed by none. We will never forget that "YOUR Best Buys were ALWAYS at Fry's". We will sing your song throughout the ages. Goodnight sweet prince.
Thank you for the touching eulogy
The Fife
It was more of a Simpsons quote than anything, but IMO it sound like they should've closed shop around 2 years ago when inventory dried up.

Sucks though, it feels like just yesterday I was hanging out in front of the one in Renton all night with a bunch of Indian guys from Microsoft so we could grab this sweet quad core black friday deal. I'm also pretty sure Fry's was the only place I saw HD DVDs in the wild.
PooDoo
AG
I still miss Incredible Universe.
jr15aggie
AG
I'm starting to get the same vibe when I walk into Office Depot. Starting to smell like desperation and slow death.

It does not make me happy, but it's also true that I've walked out of there empty handed more than once and have what I need ordered via Amazon before I get back to my truck!
Pman17
AG
Sad but at least I still have MicroCenter. That place is doing real well right now. They always have Ryzen 5 CPUs when online retailers were sold out. You can buy Raspberry Pi stuff without being overpriced on Amazon.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Pman17 said:

Sad but at least I still have MicroCenter. That place is doing real well right now. They always have Ryzen 5 CPUs when online retailers were sold out. You can buy Raspberry Pi stuff without being overpriced on Amazon.
They better have a better long term business plan that Frys or even Oshmans.
jm94
AG
Sad. They were on the mountaintop.

This is only my perspective, but I think their downfall began when they stopped hiring nerds, and started hiring salespeople.
Diggity
AG
Or as we call it in SW Houston now... HCC

As a side note, I never realized IU was a Tandy company. Learn something new every day.
double aught
AG
Jasomania said:

So wait. Was Fry's a boy or a girl?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Frys in DFW is open. I went there yesterday. According to the lady I spoke with, they are planning to stay open, though they are downsizing the store. There weren't too many in there though the lady said they were pretty busy the week before last.

And yes, they had a ton of blank CDs and DVDs.
nai06
AG
PooDoo said:

I still miss Incredible Universe.
My parents still have the Philips CD-I they purchased from Incredible Universe and all the games. I still remember playing Zelda on that thing. Man it was weird.
BadMoonRisin
AG
jr15aggie said:

I'm starting to get the same vibe when I walk into Office Depot. Starting to smell like desperation and slow death.

It does not make me happy, but it's also true that I've walked out of there empty handed more than once and have what I need ordered via Amazon before I get back to my truck!
Office Depot will be fine. They claim to be the biggest online retailer after Amazon and Walmart, and although I dont really believe them on that stat, they do a lot of their business online and B2B.

Agree on the brick & mortars being depressing. I feel like when I walk in there its me, 1 person making copies, and 4 employees and that's it.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
Without Fry's, I doubt we'll ever see a brick and mortar store with Cheetos and Oscilloscopes.

My office in Plano about 10 years ago was in walking distance of the Fry's. It was starting to decline even then with more consumer stuff and less hobby-ist parts.
Ag with kids
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Frys in DFW is open. I went there yesterday. According to the lady I spoke with, they are planning to stay open, though they are downsizing the store. There weren't too many in there though the lady said they were pretty busy the week before last.

Which one?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Ag with kids said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Which one?
Looks like the actual lockdown was last night.

Quote:

New York (CNN Business)Fry's Electronics suddenly closed all of its stores overnight, ending a nearly four-decade run in business.

The company, which had 31 stores across nine US states, said in a statement on its website that it "made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently" because of changing consumer shopping habits and the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/business/frys-electronics-closure/index.html

Quote:

After nearly 36 years in business as the one-stop-shop and online resource for high-tech professionals across nine states and 31 stores, Fry's Electronics, Inc. ("Fry's" or "Company"), has made the difficult decision to shut down its operations and close its business permanently as a result of changes in the retail industry and the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic. The Company will implement the shut down through an orderly wind down process that it believes will be in the best interests of the Company, its creditors, and other stakeholders.

The Company ceased regular operations and began the wind-down process on February 24, 2021. It is hoped that undertaking the wind-down through this orderly process will reduce costs, avoid additional liabilities, minimize the impact on our customers, vendors, landlords and associates, and maximize the value of the Company's assets for its creditors and other stakeholders.

https://www.frys.com/
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Quote:

It is hoped that undertaking the wind-down through this orderly process will reduce costs, avoid additional liabilities, minimize the impact on our customers, vendors, landlords and associates, and maximize the value of the Company's assets for its creditors and other stakeholders.

(Theoretically) If Fry's intentionally got behind on rent to the extent that they've got enough assets to cover the back rent after bankruptcy, but not other creditors, can they basically just liquidate the rest, move it to the QREM LLC as paying back-rent, and then skip out on any remaining debt?
Naveronski
AG
Any sales as they close?
Pman17
AG
Drove by Webster Fry's today, doors were closed.
rbcs_2
AG
Naveronski said:

Any sales as they close?
I doubt it. I read that they were so bad off that the few products they had on shelves was done by consignment. The shelves were empty because most companies stopped selling products.
rbcs_2
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Pman17 said:

I've wondered about Microcenter since it was clear that Fry's was really struggling. Just based on foot traffic, Microcenter is in much better shape for the time being. The store near me is pretty full every time I go in. I suppose since they do tech support on basically any device, that helps.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
rbcs_2 said:

AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Pman17 said:

I've wondered about Microcenter since it was clear that Fry's was really struggling. Just based on foot traffic, Microcenter is in much better shape for the time being. The store near me is pretty full every time I go in. I suppose since they do tech support on basically any device, that helps.
Microcenter also keeps to their market. Frys tried to do everything and their stores were massive. They were trying to make going to Fry's an experience, not just a quick shopping trip. In North Houston mine had a restaurant inside, it was overkill.
Diggity
AG
Microcenter must have made a nice little chunk of change when they sold their Galleria location to Amegy.

The real estate was likely more profitable than the store on that one.
PooDoo
AG
My dad always said most of the employees at Fry's were aliens. Not foreigners "I've been to different countries, these people are from a different planet."
91AggieLawyer
AG
Ag with kids said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Which one?

Irving, but I guess I went in there either the last day or the second to last day. The lady I spoke with seemed sincere so I doubt she knew what was going on, which to me is chicken***** I'd rather be told by employees, "I don't know what our status is, but we're open now..." with THEM knowing the status than the employees themselves being in the dark. I mean, no, I don't like being lied to but I'd rather be lied to about something that doesn't affect me much than the employee be mislead about their livelihood. I can get over that easily.

Oh, well. It was good while it lasted. I bought a lot of things at Frys over the years. Obviously, a poorly ran company in a tough business. They took advantage of pre-Prime delivery days where they could live fat and happy while conducting business in a very sloppy (at best) manner and it caught up with them. Case study for future businesses I guess.
YouBet
AG
Maybe Babbage's will buy their assets and come back!!!!
TMoney2007
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Pman17 said:

Embrace online sales, keep stores a reasonable size and don't over expand... Seems like they're on it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.