RIP Fry's Electronics?

23,674 Views | 175 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lb3
Whoop Delecto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ccaggie05
AG
I went to the North Houston location earlier this evening, and wow, what a shock. I hadn't kept up with any news about Frys, so I didn't know how bad things have been lately. I'm in the market for a new 4kTV and decided to drop by Frys because I remember how many TVs they used to have on display in the back.

I knew something was up when I pulled into the parking lot and there were literally 15-20 cars there, despite it being a Sunday close to Christmas. I thought the store closed but the doors were wide open. Ie walked in and immediately assumed they were closing down. Shelves were empty, absolutely no computer components were on display, and the TV section in the back was desolate. They had a good amount of Samsung TVs on display but that was it. They have a few rooms where they used to display home theater setups, and all three rooms were empty.

I'm not going to lie, it was a bit depressing. I used to love going to Frys once I found out about it in high school in the late 90s. Once I moved to Houston after college, Frys was a regular stop for me, sometimes just to kill some time and browse. It was always my go to if I needed something electronic related quickly since their inventory was so much better than Best Buy.

The end of an era. No way in hell they make it past next year (hell they may be gone soon after Christmas). Sad to seem them go.
bullard21k
AG
ccaggie05 said:

I went to the North Houston location earlier this evening, and wow, what a shock. I hadn't kept up with any news about Frys, so I didn't know how bad things have been lately. I'm in the market for a new 4kTV and decided to drop by Frys because I remember how many TVs they used to have on display in the back.

I knew something was up when I pulled into the parking lot and there were literally 15-20 cars there, despite it being a Sunday close to Christmas. I thought the store closed but the doors were wide open. Ie walked in and immediately assumed they were closing down. Shelves were empty, absolutely no computer components were on display, and the TV section in the back was desolate. They had a good amount of Samsung TVs on display but that was it. They have a few rooms where they used to display home theater setups, and all three rooms were empty.

I'm not going to lie, it was a bit depressing. I used to love going to Frys once I found out about it in high school in the late 90s. Once I moved to Houston after college, Frys was a regular stop for me, sometimes just to kill some time and browse. It was always my go to if I needed something electronic related quickly since their inventory was so much better than Best Buy.

The end of an era. No way in hell they make it past next year (hell they may be gone soon after Christmas). Sad to seem them go.

Are they making any killer deals worth the trip?
ccaggie05
AG
bullard21k said:

ccaggie05 said:

Are they making any killer deals worth the trip?
Not at all. The place is a ghost town and there is hardly any inventory left. I did some reading after I got home and found out that Frys employees across the US are telling people they haven't gotten new inventory shipments in 8-9 months in some cases.

Check out some of the posts of the Fry's subreddit I found earlier tonight. You are lucky to find anything that isn't a fragrance or "as seen on TV" product. Practically no electronic/computer products left on the shelves.

https://www.reddit.com/r/frys/

The Fife
If I had more time in Texas I'd go check out the Austin store for old time's sake. It feels like yesterday that I showed up at 6PM the night before to camp out for black friday doorbuster sales with a bunch of Indian guys from Microsoft who were already in line for the same mobo/CPU deal. By morning the line went around the building. Now I read on Reddit that some stores didn't even open until 10.

2007 was a while ago I guess.
TxAggieBand85
AG
I visited the North Houston location on Sunday, 15 Dec. also to hit up a shelf for some items that I'd seen earlier in the year. No real inventory, depressing. Figured that was my last trip to Frys.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I went in there to check out some speakers a few weeks ago. The switch for the speakers didn't work and I waited about 15 minutes for someone to help me but there was no one around. Can't tell you how many times I've walked out of that store in the last six months empty handed.
schmendeler
AG
I had no idea they were struggling to this extent. kind of fascinating.
The Lost
Walked in one in California during my lunch break today and it was crazy. There was an aisle that was litterally pans hanging in one row, one by one.

The amount of random things, half filled shelves was insane. Seemed like you were walking into a zombie apocalypse movie.
tamusc
AG
I was in the Austin store a few weeks ago to pick up a cable I needed same day for work and it was crazy how empty the store was. I don't think the Austin store is as bad as some of the others that people have described, but they only had one motherboard on the shelves and it was an open box item.
The Fife
If I happen to end up nearby I'd probably go just for old time's sake but since my parents live in South Hays and I'm only going to be in the area for a day nostalgia won't cut it. Who am I even kidding about going anywhere... I'll probably end up fixing things at their place until it's time to leave.
Aggieangler93
AG
Fry's in Austin is not worth walking in anymore. I don't even consider it when I need something they used to sell. If you were a customer in the heyday, with all the black friday deals, you will be so sad when you walk in now. I used to build 5 or 6 systems a year out of that location. Now you are lucky to be able to find a yard of heatshrink....let alone the correct type adapter you need for an oddball scenario....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
tamusc
AG
I just walked through the Best Buy in the Gateway Center and it actually had way more in terms of PC components compared to the Fry's in Austin about five minutes away now. The only thing Fry's had more of were power supplies and cases.

It was kind of shocking after walking through the Fry's again. There was nothing there worth buying.
SJEAg
AG
Yall are making me want to make a special visit just to see the sadness for myself. Sounds like I may only have a week or so left before the opportunity is gone.
Cromagnum
AG
The one in Clear Lake kinda reminds me of the empty shopping mall in Fallout 3. I was waiting to have a shootout with a bunch of marauders.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
Just don't expect to buy the Go Pro at Fry's!
aggolfer
AG
Went in the one in Plano this week. It was sad to see as I remember going in there all the time when it first opened getting PC parts, gadgets, etc. Haven't been in there in years.
YouBet
AG
This is just embarrassing and pathetic at this point. Shockingly, they did $2.4B in revenue as recently as 2017. Can't imagine how far off they are from that number now.
Eliminatus
AG
nai06 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Why would any brick and mortar store for items you can increasingly get delivered in < 48 hours have a boom?

Advanced warehousing and cheap shipping have made large stores like that obsolete.
because sometimes amazon isn't fast enough. Sometimes I need something right now and not tomorrow.

Point still stands. The amount of people who "need" parts and pieces immediately is not enough to sustain a large national chain like Fry's it appears like. I would posit the majority of Fry's goers are hobbyists.

Though it does look like at least some of the problem is simply management issues. Either way, for a business that relies on physical stock on location, losing out this Xmas season is probably a death knell. Anyone who has worked retail knows how crucial this time period is. For a struggling company, can they survive missing out on this?
Caesar4
AG
Dr. Horrible
After going to Micro Center today, I'm positive that's where all the Frys traffic went. They had inventory all over the place, and lines of customers waiting to get helped.
tamusc
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

After going to Micro Center today, I'm positive that's where all the Frys traffic went. They had inventory all over the place, and lines of customers waiting to get helped.
Really wish there was one in Austin.
DayAg!
S
Yea, Micro center could do so much better with building more stores. Having one or two stores in the whole state is just idiotic. Specially a state the size of Texas. I guess their analysts don't get out much.
"Poor soul, he was just too high strung. I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear."
Sling Blade
AG
I never understood why these stores don't turn into essentially what Walmart is doing.

Order online, and ship from the store. That way that can play the retail and online game at the same time.
SJEAg
AG
Well, I made a visit (Stafford) just to see for myself. Pretty bad. Odds they announce closure before the New Year or on 12/26? Close the doors before they have to deal with Christmas returns?

I think the worst is the fact they literally have 65 checkout lanes with one lane open. Remember the days where there would be at least 30 open and had several employees with walkie-talkies dedicated to just direct you to the next open cashier.
The Fife
Why would they have to deal with Christmas returns? Someone would've had to buy something and we all know that's not happening.
schmendeler
AG
definitely want to go out of business before anyone comes to redeem whatever gift cards some poor suckers might have received for Christmas.
AG

Looks like they're mooving out
AggieDruggist89
AG
Not going out of business they say

Quote:

Fry's Electronics stores look like they're heading for liquidation, but the retailer, which operates eight stores in Texas, says its stores will be restocked.

"We are not liquidating, or planning to close any stores," said Manuel Valerio, spokesman for San Jose, Calif.-based Fry's.

AtlAg05
AG
Ha, corporate speak at its finest.

But how do you having a "Going out of business sale" with no inventory?
Gigem_94
AG
Went to the one in Irving about 7:30 on 12/23. Thought would be crowded like it was last year at the same time even though I had heard the stories. I literally counted a total of 5 customers in the whole store. No sales ads posted. No sales on anything at all. Very sad place. Saw nothing worth looking twice at. Was in and out in 10 min. Last year spent over an hour browsing.
ravingfans
AG
lt230 said:

Looks like they're mooving out

Hey--is that chair positioned for someone to milk that bevo???
Joe Exotic
AG
What's the point of them staying open like this?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Bo Darville said:

What's the point of them staying open like this?

Keep paying executives from cash reserves until there's nothing left for creditors/investors? Only thing I can think of.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.