streaming audio

999 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sazerac
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm trying to stream audio from an outside TV to an indoor full house audio system (so I can send it back out to the speakers outside).

The TV is a new TCL model and it has optical audio out and a headphone out.

I first tried a bluetooth TxRx using optical audio but the audio would start breaking up as soon as they were about 40 ft apart. I needed maybe 50-60 ft.

I then tried old school RF based TxRx using headphone out but tons of static, even when just feet apart. I tried multiple RF channels.

Any ideas on a solution?
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Gonna be pricey, but well worth it. I have a similar setup (more devices though) that I'll describe.

Go with Sonos. Will need at least 2 Sonos devices. I would connect a Sonos Playbar to the TV (or smaller, cheaper option would be Sonos Beam).

If you already have indoor/outdoor speakers, will need to connect those to the Sonos system with at least 1 Sonos Connect Amp. Then the TV speaker can send sound to the Sonos Amp and other speakers, and vice versa, via your wifi network.

If your Wifi signal is weak outside to the TV/Sonos speaker, will need to add Wifi Network Extender. Run line from router to roof/wall mounted wifi extender outside.
Sazerac
AG
Thanks for the idea.

I've already got 6 zones of speakers with the whole home amp that previous owners installed. I'd hate to effectively tear it all out at this point to install Sonos.

One option I was thinking was to try a WiFi based hdmi extender just to convert that to audio at the amp. Thinking that's $200
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
You might have to do some research or consult on setup, but I'm not sure you'd have to ditch your current setup. Might be able to piggy-back the Sonos amp into current setup.

Granted, I was not wifi connected when my Sonos was installed, but I already had 2 separate outdoor zone wired speakers connected to upstairs dual-zone Onkyo receiver. That's where the Sonos Connect Amp is now, speaker wires now running from amp instead of receiver.

I just know that for my suggestion to work, you will need at minimum 2 Sonos devices to communicate with each other, from TV to house, and select audio source.

I love my Sonos system and Alexa devices, very well integrated.
Jethro95
AG
Small stereo amplifier by the TV (like THIS) and an A/B switch for your speakers so that you would be switching the speaker wires between the small amp and the whole house distribution system.
Sazerac
AG
Then I would have to pull the existing speaker wires down to the new amp. That's not going to happen.

There has to be a way to get the audio signal inside the house wirelessly without interference.
spanky
AG
Any chance there is a coax run from the TV to the inside house amp? You could use that along with a cheap optical to digital coaxial converter to get the audio to amp.
Sazerac
AG
Yes there is a coax and rj45 run to at least a media panel. The audio amp is in a different room, but I see it has at least a coax run there as well (maybe enet, it's hard to tell as all the speaker wires are enet cables also). So I would just have to make the connection in the media panel to get it from the TV to the amp.

What exactly do I need?
Is coax or enet better than the other?

And is there a low cost tool to find which coax in the panel runs to the outside tv? I've seen cable installers using something
Jethro95
AG
cclearman said:

And is there a low cost tool to find which coax in the panel runs to the outside tv? I've seen cable installers using something
I've got a DataCom/Coax Circuit Tracer set you can borrow. PM me if interested.

spanky
AG
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2948

And some f connector to rca adapters for each end of the coax. They have those at most Lowe's and Home Depot's
Sazerac
AG
Thanks!

Once I get to the source do I go coax to RCA and then just use a Y split on the RCA?
Sazerac
AG
I found a digital coax to stereo RCA converter. Looks like that would be the best way.
spanky
AG
Didn't realize you needed an rca L/R input. Was thinking you had an av receiver with a digital coax input
Sazerac
AG
I have a Russound Amp that only has RCA L/R inputs.

Would never recommend these days...but trying to work with what I got.

Think I have a plan of attack. Just need to see if I can route the coax from outside to the amp.

Thanks all
Sazerac
AG
ok, I finally was able to get this mostly working. It was a total PITA because I couldn't find where the outside co-ax terminated in the house. I think I know which one it was supposed to be, but it wouldn't show up.

I ended up having to find another coax in the attic that was going to the distribution panel and tie it into the patio co-ax. This got me a connection to the panel, which I then sent to the audio receiver.

So I'm going optical out from TV - to converter box for co-ax - through the house to a coax to RCA converter - to the receiver for audio distribution.

Only issue now is that there is no volume control available with the TV remote. I can only control the audio using the audio speaker wall controller. MAX volume on this is mostly adequate, but it would be nice if it could go a little louder. Would also be nice if you could at least mute the audio when needed with the TV remote.

I'm guessing this isn't possible and the assumption use case is that audio out is going to a full AV receiver where you are controlling the volume, right? So they don't modulate the volume through the optical output.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.