Apple iPhone Event 2019

22,743 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phat32
hatchback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tempted by the 11 Pro, but I might trade my 8+ for a regular 8 to use until next year. I'm tired of this giant phone.
Pman17
AG
Charpie said:

Already ordered the watch.
I'm tempted to get one. I'm still using the Series 2. I may do some payment plan with my carrier later. I would like the LTE for running so I don't have to carry my phone.
Pman17
AG
My Upgrade Advice

iPhone X, XR, and XS Owners: No, upgrade in 2020 (X owners possibly get a battery replacement)
iPhone 8: No, but possibly get a battery replacement, upgrade in 2020
iPhone 6S - 7: Yes, or get a battery replacement and wait for 2020
iPhone 6: Your Phone is Obsolete, upgrade to an 8 and trade it in 2020 for a 2020 iPhone. If you don't care about 5G, get an 11.
iPhone SE: Get with the times
fig96
AG
Pman17 said:

Charpie said:

I'm tempted to get one. I'm still using the Series 2. I may do some payment plan with my carrier later. I would like the LTE for running so I don't have to carry my phone.
To take calls/texts? The newer watches let you load from Apple Music onto the watch, haven't found any reason for my phone while running otherwise.
Charpie
AG
My kid is a runner. She tracks times and the like. Plus I can track her when she's running as well. Plus, I can get ahold of her when her phone dies
Charpie
AG
Five more hours of battery life is pretty worth an upgrade
rynning
AG
Pman17 said:

Charpie said:

Series 2 watches have a GPS receiver. Both Runkeeper and Runtastic and others don't require you to run with your iPhone. Their watch app will sync with their iPhone app the next time they're together.
Pro Ag
AG
Question for those on the upgrade plan.

Can you upgrade multiple devices under one account? I don't want to open multiple "store" credit cards, but if I have the ability to get on the plan for all phones in the family I might consider it.
Pman17
AG
Pretty much, take calls/texts and stream music/audiobooks/podcasts without having to carry my phone while running. Yea, stuff can be stored but transfer rate can be slow especially with Podcasts when those are frequent. When a new Podcast I haven't downloaded is up, I want it immediately. I can only fit like 2 playlists and a couple of podcasts on my Series 2.

Also going to the gym without the phone could cause less distraction.

And running without a phone long distances and being able to call emergency services is nice.
AgfromHOU
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Big meh from me. For those of you on the Upgrade Program, what are you going to do? I'm thinking I'm just going to stick with my XS until next year, but will that screw with the Upgrade Program?

You'll have to enroll in the upgrade plan again but you'll own your XS outright and could trade it in for lower payments or sell it for cash and make the regular payments on the new phone.
fig96
AG
Charpie said:

My kid is a runner. She tracks times and the like. Plus I can track her when she's running as well. Plus, I can get ahold of her when her phone dies
Right, I am too and I've never had a need for LTE on my watch. I use the Nike Run Club app and everything syncs right up to the phone when I get back, times/route/etc. I get the tracking your kid or getting in touch though.
fig96
AG
I mean, to each their own but man, get away from the phone for a bit (unless there's some reason you REALLY can't). I have zero desire to take calls or texts when I go run or work out, pretty much anything can wait.

I've never synched big audio files to my watch but music is pretty much instant, and I've got a ton of playlists (Series 3).
fig96
AG
Pro Ag said:

Can you upgrade multiple devices under one account? I don't want to open multiple "store" credit cards, but if I have the ability to get on the plan for all phones in the family I might consider it.
Not following you on the store credit cards, but I would have to think every phone would be eligible for its own upgrade (similar to how it works with carriers). Nothing in their info indicates that wouldn't be the case.
aTm2004
AG
fig96 said:

Nice to see some more accessible pricing for the phones with a bigger range, $699 for the 11 is a great deal. Not sure how the Pro will sell, that will be interesting to see.
This is what I took away from it. I have a 6s and the wife has a 6, and we're both wanting to finally upgrade, so I was waiting for this release. I usually get the best available when I buy since I keep them for a few years, but I can't justify the huge difference in price for the Pro. Probably going down early next month to get 2 11's.

I've also thought about getting the Apple Card just for this type of stuff as I'd get 3% back (~$50). I'd probably let my 6s go but keep the 6 for an iPod for our daughter.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'm getting a green Pro

Camera is most important thing to me, apple knows what it's doing.
Pman17
AG
The 11 is a good choice. The Pro is not really worth the extra camera and smaller fancy display for $300 more.

FYI, look into the Apple trade-in program. You may be able to knock down that price tag. If you're financing, I think Apple just added trade-ins for lower monthly payments.
aTm2004
AG
I've looked into it. $100 for my 6S (trading that one in) and $60 for the 6 (we're keeping that one). I may try to talk her into getting some airpods as well. Camera isn't that big of a deal as the wife as a Nikon D810 and D5.
rbcs_2
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

I'm getting a green Pro

Camera is most important thing to me, apple knows what it's doing.

This is funny to me because I find it a little frustrating that these damn things have basically turned into beefed up cameras that do other things.
k20dub
AG
So if I'm buying the 11 Pro Max outright and upgrading from an 8 Plus...Am I better off doing the trade in program and getting a discounted phone or selling the 8 Plus on ebay and then paying full price for the 11 Pro Max? I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but I saw they dropped the price for a brand new 8 Plus down to $549.

Just looked at Apple's website, basically they'll give me $300 for my 8 Plus. Ebay ranges from $280 - $450. But then I also have to deal with the fine folks of ebay. Decisions, decisions.
Sazerac
AG
If anyone is upgrading from an 8 or X with at least 128 GB that will work on ATT/Cricket I'd be interested in buying.
fig96
AG
Might try Amazon, most providers have trade-ins as well.
Pro Ag
AG
fig96 said:

Pro Ag said:

Not following you on the store credit cards, but I would have to think every phone would be eligible for its own upgrade (similar to how it works with carriers). Nothing in their info indicates that wouldn't be the case.

I am trying to determine if there is a down side to taking their finance option. Do you take a hit to your credit for their "loan" like you might for opening a credit card at Home Depot? And if you did that for yourself and a kid, would you be taking two hits to your credit?

I typically just buy the phones outright, but their upgrade program makes me rethink that vs selling my old phone and paying the difference.
fig96
AG
If I had to guess it's probably a soft hit like when you get cell phone service or sign up for utilities. Not sure if they'd need to run it again for each phone but if you were to do the phones at the same time it would probably only count as one hit, same thing that happens when you buy a car (you're getting your credit run by a bunch of different sources at the same time but you aren't penalized for it).

Ran across this that might help on price comparisons, if I had to guess it'll come out pretty close to even but you'll have the yearly upgrade option with their payment plans:
https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/11/iphone-11-financing-carriers-apple/
Pro Ag
AG
Thanks for weighing in. And you are right, I've run the numbers and it is pretty close which means I am probably over thinking it anyway!
agracer
AG
k20dub said:

So if I'm buying the 11 Pro Max outright and upgrading from an 8 Plus...Am I better off doing the trade in program and getting a discounted phone or selling the 8 Plus on ebay and then paying full price for the 11 Pro Max? I haven't crunched the numbers yet, but I saw they dropped the price for a brand new 8 Plus down to $549.

Just looked at Apple's website, basically they'll give me $300 for my 8 Plus. Ebay ranges from $280 - $450. But then I also have to deal with the fine folks of ebay. Decisions, decisions.
Check SWAPPA...much easier and lower fee's than e-bay. Prices range from $400 to $480 from what I see for an unlocked phone.
PooDoo
AG
Anyone think the new Pro looks like the stove in an RV?
k20dub
AG
You're right, looks like I can get about $425 for my phone. I'll try that out once I get the new one preordered.
fig96
AG
You bet! I've got an X so I'm good for another year easy (more interested in Arcade and TV at this point), so I'm interested to see how the upgrade plan works for others before I need a new one.
heddleston
AG
+1 for Swappa, buying and selling.

Still don't quite get what Apple Arcade is supposed be. Mainly premium mobile games that can be played on desktop? Other way around? Little of both? Glad they're doing trial month so I can see if it's something I actually want
lockett93
AG
cclearman said:

If anyone is upgrading from an 8 or X with at least 128 GB that will work on ATT/Cricket I'd be interested in buying.

I've got a 256GB X from ATT (model A1901) that I would be willing to part with! $550. including new earpods and a charger/cord, case and pop holder. Battery health is 90%

swappa.com range is $570-650 for good/mint. This has no scratches and always in a case. I'm in BCS, contact info in profile.
khkman22
AG
lockett93 said:

cclearman said:

I've got a 256GB X from ATT (model A1901) that I would be willing to part with! $550. including new earpods and a charger/cord, case and pop holder. Battery health is 90%

swappa.com range is $570-650 for good/mint. This has no scratches and always in a case. I'm in BCS, contact info in profile.
I may be interested. Not real sure what I want at this point.
Sazerac
AG
That's a nice deal. paintrain also sent me a similar offer.

I think after doing some research I'll look for an 8 seems to suit my needs better.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I have an X 256GB AT&T mint condition.
1 owner, have original box, charger incl.
$525
Located in College Station

aggiepaintrain@gmail.com
aggiepaintrain
AG
Ordered Max 256 Space Grey eta 10/4
Ordered Max 256 Green eta 10/1

WES2006AG
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Ordered Max 256 Space Grey eta 10/4
Ordered Max 256 Green eta 10/1

Those aren't called the Max anymore. Apple can't seem to decide on a name for any of their products so they keep renaming them with more and more confusing names.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.